Re: {OzArch} Love a good backlash from archeologists

Message has been deleted

john.p...@bigpond.com

Jun 20, 2018, 12:19:23 AM6/20/18
to oza...@googlegroups.com
Who is Megan Fox and why should I risk my brain cells by watching her tell me all about archaeology?

Obviously no expertise is needed to be a public commentator on archaeology, just a nice smile with $20,000 worth of orthodontic treatment and laser whitening.

Maybe she should visit Kariong and then tell us all about the Phoenicians.

Cheers, John

John Pickard
john.p...@bigpond.com

Jun 20, 2018, 1:04:16 AM6/20/18
to OzArch

Gary Vines

john...@ozemail.com.au

Jun 22, 2018, 11:52:57 AM6/22/18
to oza...@googlegroups.com

Hello,

Yes a good backlash from archaeologists is always entertaining.

Sometimes even exciting?   But hard to get too worked up about Ms Fox ??

Have you seen about the archaeologist protesting Captain Cook statue with an online petition ( https://www.change.org/p/no-new-captain-cook-memorial = "It’s the biggest, most insulting and useless waste of taxpayers’ money I’ve ever heard.  Scott Morrison wants to spend fifty million dollars of our money on a new memorial to a British seafarer Captain Cook.  ... James Cook was directly responsible for the European invasion and colonisation of Australia. It had a devastating impact on our indigenous people.  A large part of this proposed memorial is in the Treasurer's own electorate - surely a conflict of interest. Scott Morrison: abandon this backward-looking pet project and political stunt." --- 67,803 have signed. Let’s get to 75,000!"

I think that particular archaeo man is being perhaps a tiny bit tough on Captn. Cook ...?..... yet it's interesting that this is turning into the biggest online protest that I can ever remember.

Re "Identifying false facts takes effort" .. this is very true too.

What's been happening more with Randwick .. if anything? ... does anyone know?

The Minister for Heritage still has not replied of late .. i.e. as of this year.

Stepping just slightly outside strict archaeology .... the Minister for Planning, Mr Anthony Roberts, has letterboxed the residents around Nelson Parade I'm told (Hunters Hill).  What about?   I'll tell you.

These people for years have been wanting Robert's lot .. i.e. the Gov. .. to take away ~5,000 tonnes of radioactive waste from their street.

This has been an ongoing saga of massive amounts of inaction for years and years  ..  albeit that they have demolished a house or two there for fears of under the floor radon.  A saga I've been on from the beginning, esp. re the misinformation and the "identification (and attempted killing) of false facts".

The first false Government "fact" to emerge in the saga was the statement that the waste came from a "radium smelter" .... Phew !!!   "Radium smelter" .. oh, goodness me !!

Yeah .. how stupid can you get ... BUT that still took over 200 emails (years ago), to every MP of the NSW Parliament before I could get that one killed off (it morphed into "uranium smelter" along the way before dying).

Or at least I hoped/assumed it was finally dead.

Then later on they began (BOTH sides of Parliament) the "gigantic lie" of saying that they were trying to take it to KEMPS CREEK.

Oh boy .. the old quarry (expanded into a giant tip) which is really where they were trying to take it was at BADGERYS CREEK [Right alongside Badgerys Creek itself, in the suburb of Badgerys Creek, which is the next suburb west of Kemps Creek].

But that company had a P.O. Box at Kemps Creek .... so that is how all those hundreds and hundreds of false newspaper reports on the matter came about.

Now just recently Hunters Hill Council was musing over prosecuting the Government over all this .. similar I guess as States in the USA have begun prosecuting 3M over PFCs.

This may now make the State act, and first off Mr Robert's office letterboxed -- and I'm told that in what he gave the residents it again says the waste came from a smelter.

How could this same old misinformation be once again get given out?

It's amazing.

Even when the truth does get known some pollies will go and forget it all again ?

And they still all/most of them struggle about climate change too?  About knowing what's true; what's false.

I do think archaeologists need to study these industrial waste deposits a bit too.

One great success .. one of the few so far ... along the Parramatta River has been the Coal Loader (Balls Head).

What's been achieved there is very good indeed .... whereas industrial archaeology elsewhere along the River is often a lost cause.   The result may look pretty ... like the white highrise of Rosecorp's Breakfast Point where once stood the massive Mortlake Gasworks .. but very little of the archaeology was preserved.   Not so at the Coal Loader where very much has been preserved.

So if wanting inspiration go not so much to see Miss Fox ....

Image result for Megan Fox archaeology

Megan challenges the Strongs on out-worldish skulls?

.... as you should go see the Coal Loader ..

Image result for balls head coal loader

These spaced chutes brought the coal down from above into trucks running on little tracks (now removed).

It's not only nice underground but also on top has been made into a sustainability centre, community gardens display, and a small café.

I for one will be going back to absorb more history and stuff there.

But as for misinformation and our Government, it seems to me that they cannot help sometimes going together like love and marriage .. and are inseparable.

I think most of it is just "accidental".

I doubt they would ever deceive us on purpose?    Would they?

As usual Dr Gorman speaks the truth.

I like to think that the Ministers for Heritage and Transport have been just too busy to yet read anything about Randwick.

Cheers, John

---------

Re: {OzArch} Love a good backlash from archeologists