Alt.Net Australia - Openspaces

1 view

RhysC

May 26, 2010, 10:28:04 PM5/26/10
to ozaltdotnet
I know it was attemped last year at teched, im not sure of the success
as i didnt go. Who is keen to give it a go this year?

I believe there are enough smart people here in aus that *I* would
want to meet in in a big room and talk shop with, many of which are on
this list. Unfortunately many are NOT on this list, we need a way to
get more than the "active alt" people to these types of events. For
intance there are guys in Perth that dont show up to the Alt.net
events here that i think would give/get alot of benefit from an
openspaces type event. We need to engage those guys. Talk to them at
your normal .Net UGs etc etc....

The flip side to us showing we care and filling a attendance list of
over 100 people is that the overseas guys will take us seriously. I
have had a chat with a few guys and they are keen provided that we
organise something.

I get that tech-ed is a good time as people are gathering anyway and
it mean lots of people can get work to pay. Personally i dont care
when it is. If 150 alt.net ninjas are gathering within a $1k flight
from me, im going to be there.

I have spoke to a few of the guys from the Udi course and they are
keen. There are a bunch of perth guys keen.
Can we get a "Hell yeah!"?

Any one...?

Michael Minutillo

May 26, 2010, 10:38:08 PM5/26/10
to ozalt...@googlegroups.com
Hells Yeah!

Find us on the web at http://ozalt.net

--
Michael M. Minutillo
Indiscriminate Information Sponge

Heinrich Breedt

May 26, 2010, 11:03:14 PM5/26/10
to ozalt...@googlegroups.com
ill be there
Heinrich Breedt

“Do not wait to strike till the iron is hot; but make it hot by striking.” - William B. Sprague

Richard Banks

May 26, 2010, 11:12:39 PM5/26/10
to ozalt...@googlegroups.com
Looks like we might have to bite the bullet and make something happpen. :-)

The attempt at Tech.Ed last year fell a little flat because I was after facilities at the conference itself and it restricted things to people actually attending TE itself.  We ended up with a Birds of a Feather session which was OK, but showed TE probably isn't the right time or audience for it.  That said, I am trying to organise a code dojo for the Wednesday night there this year which could be a lot of fun (stay tuned).

Probably the better option is something a little like what the DDDSydney guys are doing.  We'll see if we can "borrow" the Sydney MS offices for a weekend to keep the costs down and just geek out.  I think we're better off to be on a month that doesn't clash with DDDSydney (July), TechEd (Aug) or Code Camp (Nov).  Guess that means a Sep/Oct timeframe.

P.S. Apart from Rhys, who else is willing to put up their hands to help organize this?

--
- Richard Banks (@rbanks54)
blog: http://richardsbraindump.blogspot.com

Jimmy P

May 27, 2010, 12:35:03 AM5/27/10
to ozalt...@googlegroups.com
Hells Yeah
JimP

Paul Batum

May 27, 2010, 12:36:00 AM5/27/10
to ozalt...@googlegroups.com
I can't exactly open my mouth on the talking shop podcast and say we should do this and then not put my hand up, can I?

I want to make this happen. I will help.

Michael Minutillo

May 27, 2010, 12:37:02 AM5/27/10
to ozalt...@googlegroups.com
I'm in. I have no idea what I'm doing but meh, I'll try anything once (and destroy all witnesses should I fail).

Adam Toseland

May 27, 2010, 12:38:36 AM5/27/10
to ozalt...@googlegroups.com
I am willing to lend a hand.

Jimmy P

May 27, 2010, 12:42:10 AM5/27/10
to ozalt...@googlegroups.com
I'd also be willing to lend a hand
JimP

Simon Segal

May 27, 2010, 12:54:00 AM5/27/10
to ozalt...@googlegroups.com
Count me in...

Heinrich Breedt

May 27, 2010, 1:21:27 AM5/27/10
to ozalt...@googlegroups.com
I can help where I can mate
Heinrich

liam

May 27, 2010, 1:23:24 AM5/27/10
to ozaltdotnet
This thread is starting to look like a Disney movie. This is the part
where we start the slow clap...

I'd love to hear people's thoughts on the following:

1. Where (which city)?

LM: Sydney or Melbourne, probably Sydney.

2. When? Tech Ed or other?

LM: Don't care. Not going to Tech Ed.

3. To open spaces or not to open spaces?

LM: Definately open spaces

4. Would this be an alt.net conference?

LM: I think it should be. There are plenty of non-alt conferences. I
don't want to talk about TFS or Lotus Notes.

5. Duration?

LM: One day should do it. The more people the more time is required /
worth investing.

Thanks Rhys for agitating about this.

On May 27, 2:54 pm, Simon Segal <simon.se...@simonsegal.net> wrote:
> Count me in...

Andrew Bienert

May 27, 2010, 1:38:48 AM5/27/10
to ozaltdotnet

Sounds like a plan (or the start of one anyway) :)

@liam What were the numbers at Seattle? What would you think the
critical mass might need to be?

> > >http://groups.google.com.au/group/ozaltdotnet?hl=en-GB
>
> > > Find us on the web athttp://ozalt.net

--
Andrew Bienert
http://andrewbienert.blogspot.com/

Heinrich Breedt

May 27, 2010, 1:39:04 AM5/27/10
to ozalt...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 3:23 PM, liam <liam.m...@gmail.com> wrote:
This thread is starting to look like a Disney movie. This is the part
where we start the slow clap...

I'd love to hear people's thoughts on the following:

1. Where (which city)?

LM: Sydney or Melbourne, probably Sydney.
HB: Sydney

2. When? Tech Ed or other?

LM: Don't care. Not going to Tech Ed.
HB: The Sept/Oct timeslot that Richard mentioned suits me. I dont think it should be together with TechEd

3. To open spaces or not to open spaces?

LM: Definately open spaces
HB: Open Spaces

4. Would this be an alt.net conference?

LM: I think it should be. There are plenty of non-alt conferences. I
don't want to talk about TFS or Lotus Notes.
HB: Agree with alt.net

5. Duration?

LM: One day should do it. The more people the more time is required /
worth investing.
HB: One day, maybe weekend , but to start i reckon one day
Find us on the web at http://ozalt.net

Jimmy P

May 27, 2010, 1:47:39 AM5/27/10
to ozalt...@googlegroups.com
On 27 May 2010 15:39, Heinrich Breedt <heinric...@gmail.com> wrote:

On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 3:23 PM, liam <liam.m...@gmail.com> wrote:
This thread is starting to look like a Disney movie. This is the part
where we start the slow clap...

I'd love to hear people's thoughts on the following:

1. Where (which city)?

LM: Sydney or Melbourne, probably Sydney.
HB: Sydney
JP: Melbourne

2. When? Tech Ed or other?

LM: Don't care. Not going to Tech Ed.
HB: The Sept/Oct timeslot that Richard mentioned suits me. I dont think it should be together with TechEd
JP: Don't Care

3. To open spaces or not to open spaces?

LM: Definately open spaces
HB: Open Spaces
       JP: Don't Care

4. Would this be an alt.net conference?

LM: I think it should be. There are plenty of non-alt conferences. I
don't want to talk about TFS or Lotus Notes.
HB: Agree with alt.net
JP: Agree

5. Duration?

LM: One day should do it. The more people the more time is required /
worth investing.
HB: One day, maybe weekend , but to start i reckon one day
JP: Depends on the interest really... a weekend would be nice if it can all be good

--
JimP

liam

May 27, 2010, 1:49:43 AM5/27/10
to ozaltdotnet
Seattle alt.net was ~ 100 people. I think you could do open spaces
with as few as 10, but more is better.

David Burstin

May 27, 2010, 1:50:53 AM5/27/10
to ozalt...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 3:47 PM, Jimmy P <p.ji...@gmail.com> wrote:

On 27 May 2010 15:39, Heinrich Breedt <heinric...@gmail.com> wrote:

On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 3:23 PM, liam <liam.m...@gmail.com> wrote:
This thread is starting to look like a Disney movie. This is the part
where we start the slow clap...

I'd love to hear people's thoughts on the following:

1. Where (which city)?

LM: Sydney or Melbourne, probably Sydney.
HB: Sydney
JP: Melbourne
          DB: Melbourne

2. When? Tech Ed or other?

LM: Don't care. Not going to Tech Ed.
HB: The Sept/Oct timeslot that Richard mentioned suits me. I dont think it should be together with TechEd
JP: Don't Care
          DB: Don't care

3. To open spaces or not to open spaces?

LM: Definately open spaces
HB: Open Spaces
       JP: Don't Care
          DB: Don't care

4. Would this be an alt.net conference?

LM: I think it should be. There are plenty of non-alt conferences. I
don't want to talk about TFS or Lotus Notes.
HB: Agree with alt.net
JP: Agree
          DB: I think it should be

5. Duration?

LM: One day should do it. The more people the more time is required /
worth investing.
HB: One day, maybe weekend , but to start i reckon one day
JP: Depends on the interest really... a weekend would be nice if it can all be good
          DB: Start with one day

Adam Toseland

May 27, 2010, 1:53:47 AM5/27/10
to ozalt...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 3:50 PM, David Burstin <david....@gmail.com> wrote:

On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 3:47 PM, Jimmy P <p.ji...@gmail.com> wrote:

On 27 May 2010 15:39, Heinrich Breedt <heinric...@gmail.com> wrote:

On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 3:23 PM, liam <liam.m...@gmail.com> wrote:
This thread is starting to look like a Disney movie. This is the part
where we start the slow clap...

I'd love to hear people's thoughts on the following:

1. Where (which city)?

LM: Sydney or Melbourne, probably Sydney.
HB: Sydney
JP: Melbourne
          DB: Melbourne
             AT: Sydney

2. When? Tech Ed or other?

LM: Don't care. Not going to Tech Ed.
HB: The Sept/Oct timeslot that Richard mentioned suits me. I dont think it should be together with TechEd
JP: Don't Care
          DB: Don't care
              AT: Dont Care (just not on the AFL grand final weekend)

3. To open spaces or not to open spaces?

LM: Definately open spaces
HB: Open Spaces
       JP: Don't Care
          DB: Don't care
             AT: Dont care

4. Would this be an alt.net conference?

LM: I think it should be. There are plenty of non-alt conferences. I
don't want to talk about TFS or Lotus Notes.
HB: Agree with alt.net
JP: Agree
          DB: I think it should be
             AT: Agree

5. Duration?

LM: One day should do it. The more people the more time is required /
worth investing.
HB: One day, maybe weekend , but to start i reckon one day
JP: Depends on the interest really... a weekend would be nice if it can all be good
          DB: Start with one day
             At: One day

David Tchepak

May 27, 2010, 2:05:07 AM5/27/10
to ozalt...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 3:23 PM, liam <liam.m...@gmail.com> wrote:
This thread is starting to look like a Disney movie. This is the part
where we start the slow clap...

I'd love to hear people's thoughts on the following:

1. Where (which city)?

LM: Sydney or Melbourne, probably Sydney.
HB: Sydney
JP: Melbourne
          DB: Melbourne
             AT: Sydney
DT: Sydney

2. When? Tech Ed or other?

LM: Don't care. Not going to Tech Ed.
HB: The Sept/Oct timeslot that Richard mentioned suits me. I dont think it should be together with TechEd
JP: Don't Care
          DB: Don't care
              AT: Dont Care (just not on the AFL grand final weekend)
DT: +1 for not grand final weekend :). Late spring/warm weather might be good if you're trying to convince international visitors.

3. To open spaces or not to open spaces?

LM: Definately open spaces
HB: Open Spaces
       JP: Don't Care
          DB: Don't care
             AT: Dont care
DT: Keen to try open spaces, but don't really mind.

4. Would this be an alt.net conference?

LM: I think it should be. There are plenty of non-alt conferences. I
don't want to talk about TFS or Lotus Notes.
HB: Agree with alt.net
JP: Agree
          DB: I think it should be
             AT: Agree
DT: alt.net topics, but wouldn't exclude broader participation (don't need to be a card carrying member :))

5. Duration?

LM: One day should do it. The more people the more time is required /
worth investing.
HB: One day, maybe weekend , but to start i reckon one day
JP: Depends on the interest really... a weekend would be nice if it can all be good
          DB: Start with one day
             At: One day
DT: Is one day enough? For open spaces wouldn't opening day planning take a chunk out of that? Maybe have 1.5 days conference plus half day hackfest to finish???

Michael Minutillo

May 27, 2010, 2:10:33 AM5/27/10
to ozalt...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 2:05 PM, David Tchepak <tch...@gmail.com> wrote:

On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 3:23 PM, liam <liam.m...@gmail.com> wrote:
This thread is starting to look like a Disney movie. This is the part
where we start the slow clap...

I'd love to hear people's thoughts on the following:

1. Where (which city)?

LM: Sydney or Melbourne, probably Sydney.
HB: Sydney
JP: Melbourne
          DB: Melbourne
             AT: Sydney
DT: Sydney
MM: Don't care. Everything is equally far from Perth anyway

2. When? Tech Ed or other?

LM: Don't care. Not going to Tech Ed.
HB: The Sept/Oct timeslot that Richard mentioned suits me. I dont think it should be together with TechEd
JP: Don't Care
          DB: Don't care
              AT: Dont Care (just not on the AFL grand final weekend)
DT: +1 for not grand final weekend :). Late spring/warm weather might be good if you're trying to convince international visitors.
 MM: Don't care. Even on grand final weekend.

3. To open spaces or not to open spaces?

LM: Definately open spaces
HB: Open Spaces
       JP: Don't Care
          DB: Don't care
             AT: Dont care
DT: Keen to try open spaces, but don't really mind.
MM: Open Spaces good. Anything else also good.

4. Would this be an alt.net conference?

LM: I think it should be. There are plenty of non-alt conferences. I
don't want to talk about TFS or Lotus Notes.
HB: Agree with alt.net
JP: Agree
          DB: I think it should be
             AT: Agree
DT: alt.net topics, but wouldn't exclude broader participation (don't need to be a card carrying member :))
MM: alt.net is a label with certain (positive and negative) connotations. Call it "The First International Developers BBQ"

5. Duration?

LM: One day should do it. The more people the more time is required /
worth investing.
HB: One day, maybe weekend , but to start i reckon one day
JP: Depends on the interest really... a weekend would be nice if it can all be good
          DB: Start with one day
             At: One day
DT: Is one day enough? For open spaces wouldn't opening day planning take a chunk out of that? Maybe have 1.5 days conference plus half day hackfest to finish???
MM: A weekend is good. If I'm flying around I want as much time between flights as possible.

Find us on the web at http://ozalt.net

Andrew Browne

May 27, 2010, 2:13:54 AM5/27/10
to ozalt...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 4:10 PM, Michael Minutillo <michael....@gmail.com> wrote:

On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 2:05 PM, David Tchepak <tch...@gmail.com> wrote:

On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 3:23 PM, liam <liam.m...@gmail.com> wrote:
This thread is starting to look like a Disney movie. This is the part
where we start the slow clap...

I'd love to hear people's thoughts on the following:

1. Where (which city)?

LM: Sydney or Melbourne, probably Sydney.
HB: Sydney
JP: Melbourne
          DB: Melbourne
             AT: Sydney
DT: Sydney
MM: Don't care. Everything is equally far from Perth anyway
 AB: Melbourne, but sydney is fine

2. When? Tech Ed or other?

LM: Don't care. Not going to Tech Ed.
HB: The Sept/Oct timeslot that Richard mentioned suits me. I dont think it should be together with TechEd
JP: Don't Care
          DB: Don't care
              AT: Dont Care (just not on the AFL grand final weekend)
DT: +1 for not grand final weekend :). Late spring/warm weather might be good if you're trying to convince international visitors.
 MM: Don't care. Even on grand final weekend.
 AB: Don't care

3. To open spaces or not to open spaces?

LM: Definately open spaces
HB: Open Spaces
       JP: Don't Care
          DB: Don't care
             AT: Dont care
DT: Keen to try open spaces, but don't really mind.
MM: Open Spaces good. Anything else also good.
AB: Open Spaces

4. Would this be an alt.net conference?

LM: I think it should be. There are plenty of non-alt conferences. I
don't want to talk about TFS or Lotus Notes.
HB: Agree with alt.net
JP: Agree
          DB: I think it should be
             AT: Agree
DT: alt.net topics, but wouldn't exclude broader participation (don't need to be a card carrying member :))
MM: alt.net is a label with certain (positive and negative) connotations. Call it "The First International Developers BBQ"
AB: Agree

5. Duration?

LM: One day should do it. The more people the more time is required /
worth investing.
HB: One day, maybe weekend , but to start i reckon one day
JP: Depends on the interest really... a weekend would be nice if it can all be good
          DB: Start with one day
             At: One day
DT: Is one day enough? For open spaces wouldn't opening day planning take a chunk out of that? Maybe have 1.5 days conference plus half day hackfest to finish???
MM: A weekend is good. If I'm flying around I want as much time between flights as possible.
AB: I think more than a day if people are going to make the effort to travel

Liam McLennan

May 27, 2010, 2:14:49 AM5/27/10
to ozalt...@googlegroups.com
One day is heaps. The Seattle alt.net group do their monthly meeting as an open space. How about a one day conference and an optional hackfest the next day?

Find us on the web at http://ozalt.net

--
Liam McLennan.

li...@eclipsewebsolutions.com.au
http://www.eclipsewebsolutions.com.au

Heinrich Breedt

May 27, 2010, 2:19:04 AM5/27/10
to ozalt...@googlegroups.com
8 hour day .. 2 hours to start .. 1 hour talks ... 3 rooms .. that is 18 topics/talks

One day should be enough..

Heinrich

Andrew Browne

May 27, 2010, 2:19:24 AM5/27/10
to ozalt...@googlegroups.com
That also sounds good :-)

RhysC

May 27, 2010, 2:24:35 AM5/27/10
to ozaltdotnet
The site is up "
http://sites.google.com/site/ozopenspace/

email me for access to contribute

PLEASE place your expression of interest on the page so we can track
it easier, an email trail sucks for managing it

Rock and Roll \m/

Jimmy P

May 27, 2010, 2:29:12 AM5/27/10
to ozalt...@googlegroups.com
So hangon do you need to give me access just so I can register my interest?

Find us on the web at http://ozalt.net

--
JimP

Adam Toseland

May 27, 2010, 2:31:27 AM5/27/10
to ozalt...@googlegroups.com
Glad its not just me wondering how to place your expression of interest ;-)

Heinrich Breedt

May 27, 2010, 2:32:40 AM5/27/10
to ozalt...@googlegroups.com
I wont mention that i am confused as well

liam

May 27, 2010, 2:54:16 AM5/27/10
to ozaltdotnet
I think it should be billed as an alt.net conference. Calling it
Australia .Net Openspaces Conference 2010 makes it sound like an open
space version of codecampoz. If it is (mostly) alt.net people,
discussing alt.net topics, then why not call it alt.net?

Heinrich Breedt

May 27, 2010, 2:57:41 AM5/27/10
to ozalt...@googlegroups.com
Not sure what the negative is about the alt.net brand.

Find us on the web at http://ozalt.net

RhysC

May 27, 2010, 3:25:33 AM5/27/10
to ozaltdotnet
Well i have successful made an ass of myself infornt of all of my
peers, nice work.

try this site: http://ozopenspace.pbworks.com/expressions-of-interest

sorry

RhysC

May 27, 2010, 3:34:58 AM5/27/10
to ozaltdotnet
@HB: There is (from where is sit) a view that Alt.Net is negative. I
obviously dont think it is but im not the target audience.
I also couldnt really care if we talked about the architecture of a
Python app on cassandra and toranado running on an EC2 cloud... its
just the alt.net people are mostly likely to be able to have that
discussion.
either way im not phased, its still early we can change things to what
ever we want

> >http://groups.google.com.au/group/ozaltdotnet?hl=en-GB
>

> > Find us on the web athttp://ozalt.net

Andrew Stone

May 27, 2010, 7:33:39 AM5/27/10
to ozalt...@googlegroups.com
Who cares if the ignorant think it is negative? you can't please everyone.

Best stick to the brand or risk obscurity with all the other lameness.

Stonie.

Paul Batum

May 27, 2010, 7:11:32 PM5/27/10
to ozalt...@googlegroups.com
I think it should be an alt.net conference. We are having this conversation on the Australian alt.net mailing list aren't we? I would prefer two days as it makes it more worthwhile to travel for, and means that we get more event for not much more organisational effort. There's no real reason why people couldn't attend for just one of the two days if doing both days was difficult for them.

Colin Scott

May 27, 2010, 7:22:35 PM5/27/10
to ozalt...@googlegroups.com
Some people react to ALT.NET the same way I react to SharePoint (kill it with fire)
but still have interesting things to say. They're not going to be on this list.

CDS

On Fri May 28 9:11 , Paul Batum <paul....@gmail.com> sent:

Heinrich Breedt

May 27, 2010, 7:38:40 PM5/27/10
to ozalt...@googlegroups.com
Not sure if they even are the target audience.

Find us on the web at http://ozalt.net

Jimmy P

May 27, 2010, 9:00:04 PM5/27/10
to ozalt...@googlegroups.com
Anyone who has something interesting to say is the target audience right?
JimP

RhysC

May 27, 2010, 9:11:22 PM5/27/10
to ozaltdotnet
"Anyone who has something interesting to say is the target audience
right?"
Yes. totally aggree.

My concern with branding it alt.net is we will get 10 of us flying
from all over the country to talk about the same things. There are
people i know that wont come if it is alt.net, that may be a perth
issue that we have to rectify.
At the moment in my mind we need to know how many people are
interested in the genral concept; organising such an event for a
handful of people may not be worth it(?)

Either way i dont care what it is called im just focused on the number
and quality of people we can get interested

On May 28, 9:00 am, Jimmy P <p.jimm...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Anyone who has something interesting to say is the target audience right?
>
> On 28 May 2010 09:38, Heinrich Breedt <heinrichbre...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > Not sure if they even are the target audience.
>
> > On Fri, May 28, 2010 at 9:22 AM, Colin Scott <c...@iinet.net.au> wrote:
>
> >> Some people react to ALT.NET the same way I react to SharePoint (kill it
> >> with fire)
> >> but still have interesting things to say. They're not going to be on this
> >> list.
>
> >> CDS
>
> >> On Fri May 28  9:11 , Paul Batum <paul.ba...@gmail.com> sent:

> >> conversation on the
> >> Australian alt.net mailing list aren't we? I would prefer two days as it
> >> makes it more
> >> worthwhile to travel for, and means that we get more event for not much
> >> more
> >> organisational effort. There's no real reason why people couldn't attend
> >> for just one
> >> of the two days if doing both days was difficult for them.
>
> >> --
>
> >> Find us on the web athttp://ozalt.net
>
> > --
> > Heinrich Breedt
>
> > “Do not wait to strike till the iron is hot; but make it hot by striking.”
> > - William B. Sprague
>
> > --
>
> > Find us on the web athttp://ozalt.net
>
> --
> JimP

Richard Banks

May 27, 2010, 9:15:33 PM5/27/10
to ozalt...@googlegroups.com
To quote: "The Australian Alt.Net Community is a self-organizing, ad-hoc community of developers bound by a desire to improve ourselves, challenge assumptions, and help each other pursue excellence in the practice of software development, obviously with a strong emphasis on development using the Microsoft.NET platform."

Us Alt.Net peeps should be looking for ways to improve what we do AND enouraging others to improve as well.  It's hard to do that in an echo chamber so I for one am happy for this to be an open event.  If someone wants to come and learn, or even better to help others learn, then I don't care where they come from or what their background is.

After all, why can't good dev principles be applied to sharepoint or VSTO work?  And what gives us the right to say we can't learn anything from people outside the alt.net microcosm?

In any case, don't forget than an open spaces event is a "law of two feet" thing.  If a topic suggestion sucks, no one will go to it.

As for naming, let's just call it the OzOpenSpaces event and put a by-line saying "provided by the Alt.Net community for the benefit of all"

And remember, exclusionism is evil.

--
- Richard Banks (@rbanks54)
blog: http://richardsbraindump.blogspot.com
podcast: http://www.talkingshopdownunder.com

Liam McLennan

May 27, 2010, 9:23:50 PM5/27/10
to ozalt...@googlegroups.com
Alt.net is a topic, it provides focus. Without that I don't see how this conference would be differentiated from many great conferences that already exist: code camp oz, code camp sa, teched, remix, ...

Alt.net is, and has always been, welcoming to those who want to come and learn. Those who, "desire to improve ourselves, challenge assumptions, and help each other pursue excellence in the practice of software development" will get value from an alt.net conference. Alt.net conferences are open events. The name specifies the topic, not who is invited.

Find us on the web at http://ozalt.net

Liam McLennan

Heinrich Breedt

May 27, 2010, 9:32:58 PM5/27/10
to ozalt...@googlegroups.com
I agree with Liam. Alt.net is not "exclusionism". Alt.net does not exclude Sharepoint or VSTO or TFS or anything. Alt.net is about not excluding non MS topics/products/.

I think that focus is important.

Heinrich

Nick Josevski

May 27, 2010, 9:51:48 PM5/27/10
to ozalt...@googlegroups.com
If there's any negative association (bad reaction) with "ALT.NET" it's likely to come from just misunderstanding.

If there's a successfully run open space event branded as ALT.NET, it would go towards bringing good will to the concept in Aus. Then subsequent years events would get more attention from a broader developer community...

Antonio Tirado

May 27, 2010, 9:52:54 PM5/27/10
to ozalt...@googlegroups.com
Seconded.

I like the idea of the open space.

Antonio Tirado
Mobile: +61 4 4825 5126

Date: Fri, 28 May 2010 11:32:58 +1000
Subject: Re: [ozalt.net] Re: Alt.Net Australia - Openspaces
From: heinric...@gmail.com
To: ozalt...@googlegroups.com

Miguel Madero

May 29, 2010, 4:43:28 AM5/29/10
to ozalt...@googlegroups.com
+1 to brand it as ALT.NET
Miguel A. Madero Reyes
www.miguelmadero.com (blog)
m...@miguelmadero.com

Steven Burman

May 30, 2010, 2:46:07 AM5/30/10
to ozalt...@googlegroups.com
+1 for Alt.Net branding. The focus is important.

Heinrich Breedt

Jun 7, 2010, 6:23:10 PM6/7/10
to ozalt...@googlegroups.com
Anyone seen this? http://www.dddsydney.com/ . kinda openspace-like it seems. and very alt.net in content

Liam McLennan

Jun 7, 2010, 6:51:34 PM6/7/10
to ozalt...@googlegroups.com
That is not an open space event.

Heinrich Breedt

Jun 7, 2010, 7:13:53 PM6/7/10
to ozalt...@googlegroups.com
well, no, but has some elements of it: user submitted sessions, voted for by the people attending. not sure if there is multiple tracks at the same time, thinks not. Still interesting though.

Paul Batum

Jun 8, 2010, 8:11:03 AM6/8/10
to ozalt...@googlegroups.com
I've registered. I was thinking about submitting a session, but I procrastinated and now submissions are closed so I'm off the hook :D

Richard Banks

Jun 10, 2010, 6:06:11 AM6/10/10
to ozalt...@googlegroups.com
The agenda is now up at http://www.dddsydney.com/DDD/Agenda

Yours truly is doing a session as well, but don't let that turn you off :-)

Michael Minutillo

Jul 5, 2010, 9:18:28 PM7/5/10
to ozalt...@googlegroups.com
Bump!

Has anyone been to and would recommend Charle Stuart University for such an event? It occurs to me that if people are willing to travel their for CodeCampOz then it must be OK.

Otherwise can anyone suggest a good venue for an open space event? Criteria:

* Should have a large meeting space for ~100 people
* Should have 5-6 separate rooms for discussion topics
* Should have toilets

Bonus points for:
* Whiteboards
* WiFi
* Coffee/Soft Drink Machines
* Being free or cheap
* Being reasonably close to a pizza delivery place :)

Using that criteria Universities and TAFEs tend to be good candidates. If you know somewhere that might be willing to host us and you have contact details can you flick them through to me and I'll start calling around.

Regards,
Mike
Michael M. Minutillo
Indiscriminate Information Sponge
Blog: http://wolfbyte-net.blogspot.com

Liam McLennan

Jul 5, 2010, 9:23:02 PM7/5/10
to ozalt...@googlegroups.com
Charles Stuart is a good venue but the location is inconvenient for everyone.

Steven Burman

Jul 5, 2010, 9:45:48 PM7/5/10
to ozalt...@googlegroups.com
I know that Bar Camp Brisbane use QUT as a venue, so it might be worth looking at. But I have never been personally.

http://www.meetup.com/barcampqld/calendar/12790977/

Richard Banks

Jul 5, 2010, 11:12:22 PM7/5/10
to ozalt...@googlegroups.com
Microsoft's Sydney office could work.  The ground floor has 3 large rooms and a number of smaller meeting rooms.  DDD Sydney will be there so we'll see how it goes.

You'd probably have to speak to Coatsey, or GP about it (or ask @slace or @lewisbenge what they did to get it).

- Richard
blog: http://www.richard-banks.org
podcast: http://www.talkingshopdownunder.com

RhysC

Jul 6, 2010, 10:22:58 PM7/6/10
to ozaltdotnet
Im a fan of using the M$ offices, its a small reminder that M$ is the
commonality amoung us. plus they are likely to do it free, especially
if you high roller MVP type all come along. May also help bring some
alt.net M$ folk along (Glen Block types).
Can you enquire richard?

BTW i ran through the interested parties on the wiki and sydney and
melbourne had equal votes. perth is never going to work and brisbane
fell a very distant 3rd.
So whoever can get decent location in either sydeny or melbourne will
probably dictate the location :D

Love and curly brackets
RhysC