Toyota Land Cruiser 79 Land Cruiser 79 4.5D v8

Bruce Turner

Oct 13, 2021, 3:54:21 AM10/13/21
to overland-forum
Hi All,

Does anyone have one? Please let me know your thoughts on it.

I’m thinking of buying one and building a Aussie spec with tray and canopy etc etc out of it.

Thx
Rgds
BruceT

Brendon Muller

Oct 13, 2021, 4:31:24 AM10/13/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com

I bought my 4.8 V8 3 years ago and that was after driving Defenders for 22 Years and can honestly not fault the vehicle. Bought second hand with 160K on the clock and was shit scared

I am on 243K now and have probably topped up the oil on 3 occasions and that was extreme circumstances when towing the Xplorer fro a couple of thousand Km's. I Bought the 76 SW

space wise it has not got as much room as the Defender but then again you don't need so many tools and spares 😅 if you go for 79 with canopy you will have way more packing space.

It is a beast of a vehicle and tows like a dream. Daily drive my consumption close to 8Km/L when towing down to 6.

I did exhaust mod and then had to do the heavy duty clutch as the standard clutches just can't handle the torque.

Services cost the same as D4D at about R2900.00 and there have never been extras besides consumables.

Oh and they don't mark their territory !

Cheers Brendon

Avast logo

Bruce Turner

Oct 13, 2021, 4:42:59 AM10/13/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Brandon.

My Landy doesn’t mark its territory either 😂

Thanks for the feedback.
I found a 2016 with 30k kms on it and apparently no new stock available. Need to drive it though.

Rgds
BruceT

Errol Peinke

Oct 13, 2021, 4:50:34 AM10/13/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com

Hi Bruce

I purchased a 79 DC with loads of extras in 2015 at 64000km. this after being a dedicated LR owner for more years than I wish to think of. i still long for a Defender but I had too many hassles with the 2.4.

I am currently on 185000km and just completed a 4500km trip to KNP towing a trailer.

I have been to the Richtersveld, twice to Santa Maria and numerous trips to the Transkei, some of them very muddy.

I fitted the HD clutch at 160000km and also had the gearbox ratios changed. Air helper springs are fitted and worth it

The vehicle pulls like a dream but can be heavy on fuel at 120km/h

No problems barring consumables, remember it’s a heavy vehicle to stop!!!

In short it has loads of space and gives very little problems

Regards

Errol

Brendon Muller

Oct 13, 2021, 4:56:10 AM10/13/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com

They are extremely sparse at the moment but 2016 with 30K is not even run in yet! And will fetch a pretty price on the current market, I can get more for mine now than what what I paid.

grahambowring2

Oct 13, 2021, 5:00:56 AM10/13/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
I have a 76 series Bruce. That is the station wagon body rather than the twin cab plus tray 79 Series. (Bakkie to you...) The 76 series has same drive train & mechanicals but a shorter wheel base. 79 series are very common here but the 76 is not seen so often.

Mine is a 2008 model, 196,000km.  Love the vehicle, very tough & typical Toyota reliability. I've owned since 2010 and it had 67,000km when I bought it.

Mine is the "Workmate" spec or poverty pack. No carpets, vinyl seats, no cruise control or remote door locks & "cheese cutter" tyres on split rims. Does have factory a/c. Sadly no diff locks which are standard on more recent models.

Previous owner added aftermarket cruise control, 16 x 8 alloy wheels, bull bar, winch & UHF radio, dual battery system & a 2" lift.

I've added remote door locks, extra fuel filter, long range fuel tank & a few 12v outlets etc.

I love the vehicle as it has never put a foot out of place and performs well on or off road. Has never let me down and the only issue I've had was a weeping water pump at about 100,000km.

Have a few times wished I had the twin lockers but otherwise no complaints. It is a bit short of packing space but the 79 series would have oodles!

I would suggest an extra fuel filter/water separator (before the factory filter) as the common rail fuel system can be severely damaged by water in the fuel. Very expensive to repair.  Same issue with most common rail systems regardless of make.

Some V8 70 series have had alternator issues as it is mounted very low and can get filled with mud. Never been an issue with mine and flooding it with water with the engine running is apparently a workable fix.

The 79 series would be even better,  that is as long as you don't need to parallel park it!

Graham B

Oct 13, 2021, 5:06:18 AM10/13/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
You will love it Bruce.

Mine has never used any oil. I change it myself around 6 - 8,000km ( spec is 10,000km)  and have always used Caterpillar DEO oil. I'm biased as I spent my career with Caterpillar but it is a very high quality oil and better priced than most in Australia.

Graham B

Oct 14, 2021, 2:01:27 AM10/14/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
He is watching way to many Auzzie Youtube video's.

P.S. Bruce on your video's please give more info on the overnight campsites. Just a sweep of the place and a mention where to book.

Johan

Marc Hall

Oct 14, 2021, 2:23:47 AM10/14/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
Bruce has been a closet Land Cruiser wannabe since his Dad used to drive them to ginormous mileages in the Mozambique bush.

(Ja Bruce, some of us remember these things 😃)

mh...

Bruce Turner

Oct 14, 2021, 2:30:47 AM10/14/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
Hahaha yes Marc great memory. My father may finally accept my choice of vehicle :) :)

Naks I will keep both for my split personalities.

Johan I will do so. Thank you for the suggestion. And honestly you are right. I love the Aussie setups. Im either getting the Cruiser or finding a tray and canopy for the 130. It won’t look as good on a 130 I think but its such a great concept.

Rgds
BruceT

Bruce Turner

Oct 15, 2021, 2:04:52 PM10/15/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
I’m still in two minds but this is the vehicle I am considering.

Does anyone on the very slim chance know it?

Graham Bowring

Oct 15, 2021, 6:24:02 PM10/15/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
We don't see 70 series Toyota with the tub in Australia, just the "tray back". (Many are purchased as a cab-chassis and fitted with an after market tray.) Hilux can be purchased here with either tub or tray... a tub for show but a tray for work.

Graham B

Oct 15, 2021, 11:42:36 PM10/15/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
It looks good with low mileage.  But it beats me how often there is not
a full service record on some low-mileage vehicles

Bruce Turner

Oct 16, 2021, 1:38:09 AM10/16/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
Exactly Mike.

Errol Peinke

Oct 16, 2021, 1:44:15 AM10/16/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com

A double cab is just so much more versatile although a single cab has more space than you will ever need

I love my DC

Errol

Oct 16, 2021, 2:13:03 AM10/16/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
True Errol. It this will be used for solo keeping it simple type traveling.

Hennie Rautenbach

Oct 20, 2021, 4:21:21 AM10/20/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
What is the price if I may ask Bruce ? I am terribly tempted to upgrade my 1HZ to a V8...

Bruce Turner

Oct 20, 2021, 5:22:51 AM10/20/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
Hennie it is R699k and has 32k kms on it

Rgds
BruceT

Chris Ainslie

Oct 20, 2021, 5:36:36 AM10/20/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com

grahambowring2

Oct 20, 2021, 5:58:42 AM10/20/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
Great if you want a play toy and don't want a V8...    But a 76 series is tight on packing space and this has no back seat so even less space.

And the price is same as the one Bruce has found yet this one is 30 years old & 140k more km.

Better play your cards very close Bruce!

Graham B

Oct 20, 2021, 6:07:26 AM10/20/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
Hi Hennie - I know of 2 available on another forum. I’ll send you details separately.

I am also interested but in a 76.

mh

--
mh...

grahambowring2

Oct 20, 2021, 6:11:56 AM10/20/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
It would be a hell of a lot of fun in the mud!

Up north in Australia they use LC shorties for chasing scrub bulls.  But never as pretty as this one!

Someone has truly looked after it well.

Errol Peinke

Oct 20, 2021, 6:30:52 AM10/20/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com

You wont regret it!!!

What is the price if I may ask Bruce ? I am terribly tempted to upgrade my 1HZ to a V8...

Image removed by sender. Avast logo

~WRD0000.jpg

grahambowring2

Oct 20, 2021, 6:38:10 AM10/20/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
How does the V8 do on questionable diesel fuel in Moz etc?  A fuel system rebuild is super expensive...

Graham B

Oct 20, 2021, 9:14:17 AM10/20/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
Comparing a new LC 4.5 S/C with a 2 or 3 year old and 40k -60k on the clock will let your hair rise.
Brand new they are R793k . Secondhand the Stealers want to pocket R700k plus.