Zim/Bots trip pics and limited info

Jean Struweg

Jun 22, 2011, 8:30:39 AM6/22/11
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
Hi All

Check out the link for a few preliminary pics of our recent trip to
Zim and Bots (08-21 June 2011).

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jws123/sets/72157626895174849/

Our route took us from Jhb to Matobo NP in Zim (via Beitbridge) where
we stayed at Big Cave Camp. From there onto Hwange NP where we stayed
at Main Camp, Kennedy Picnic, Sinamatella and Robin's (avoid Robin's
if you can). Through Pandamatenga to Chobe Safari Lodge campsites for
a few nights. From there down to Nata Lodge campsite, Limpopo River
Lodge and back to Jhb. 4,008km in total.

Border crossings:
SA into Zim via Beitbridge - 50 mins start to finish
Zim into Bots via Pandamatenga - 40 mins start to finish
Bots into SA via Platjan - 11 mins flat

Had no hassles in Zim with police/roadblocks etc. No real hassles in
Bots with meat, the inspectors seemed disinterested mostly. Road
between Nata and Kasane should be budgeted at no more than 80km/h
average, better than it was 3 years ago, but by no means quick. The
rest of the roads in Zim and Botswana was better than the average in
South Africa. Diesel availability in Zim was sporadic, even in
Bulawayo. No fuel in Hwange NP at all.

More detailed trip report with more pics to follow. In the meantime,
feel free to mail me if you need info, with the school holidays upon
us I know a few of you are heading to some of the places that we
visited.

A few of the relevant websites:
http://www.bigcave.co.za/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matobo_National_Park
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hwange_National_Park
http://www.chobesafarilodge.com/
http://www.natalodge.com/
http://www.limpoporiverlodge.co.za/

Cheers

Francois Visagie

Jun 22, 2011, 8:35:11 AM6/22/11
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, Jean. Why do you recommend avoiding Robin's?

Hi All

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jws123/sets/72157626895174849/

Cheers

4x4's and other stuff for sale:
http://www.overland.co.za/phpBB3/viewforum.php?f=2

zo1zak

Jun 22, 2011, 11:04:42 AM6/22/11
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Jean, any indication of diesel prices in both Zim and Bots?
kind regards
Zak

lostshepard

Jun 22, 2011, 11:32:54 AM6/22/11
to overland-forum
Don't see why you say avoid Robins Camp Jean - we were there in May
and yes its a bit rundown but it was empty and thats a bonus and its a
nice place to be - we found the staff accommodating and very friendly.
I'd go back there.

As you say no real hassles in Zim at all - in all a very pleasant
surprise - except the animals seem very skittish and are thin on the
ground - lots of poaching still taking place I think.

We also went up to Mutare and the Bvumba too plus Zim Ruins - go now
before the hoards return.
I have a trip report up but it is 7 megs (sorry) so you have to wait
quite a while for it to download.
Paul

Jean Struweg

Jun 22, 2011, 11:45:34 AM6/22/11
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
Hi Francois

Robin's was (of the camps that we saw) by far in the worst shape of the lot in terms of ablution maintenance and indifferent staff attitude. Having experienced a range of ablution facilities in my time, the only good thing I have to say about theirs is that is relatively clean, but not much more.

Also, it appears that some of the staff have taken up semi-permanent residence in a few of the chalets, including using the ablution facilities. It was a bit creepy, because you did not know who belongs there and who does not. Add to that the (we assumed) anti-poaching unit tearing through the camp at high speed in their Cruiser one just got the general feeling that no-one is really in charge there.

In case it sounds like I am just moaning, in sharp contrast with this Sinamatella and Main camps were extremely orderly and well run, despite the evident lack of resources.

HTH

Cheers

Jean Struweg

Jun 22, 2011, 11:52:54 AM6/22/11
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
Sorry Zak, I did not really take note. I had 105l plus two jerries on board, and only filled up in Zim once. To be honest I was so relieved to eventually find diesel around Bulawayo, I just told the guy to fill up without taking note of the price. We had passed four fuel pumps in Bulawayo before we found diesel at a station already some way out of town. However, I would have noticed if it seemed excessive. Main lesson was that in spite of things improving in Zim, don't take fuel availability for granted.

In Botswana, I recall that the fuel seemed somewhat cheaper than in SA, but again I did not take note of the specifics. This was mostly as we paid with US$ for fuel, translated to Pula - to do the sum back to Rands was too much for me at that time.

Cheers

lostshepard

Jun 22, 2011, 12:58:45 PM6/22/11
to overland-forum
Fuel is for diesel about the same as RSA, poss a bit more I think. I
only filled up in Mutare as I have a 270 litre tank in any case. Yes a
lot of the fuel stations between towns are closed or only have
"fuel"in bottles !!! and towards Bulawayo our friends who were with us
had to go to several stations before they could get fuel but once in
town itself there was no problem. The main hassle I think is that, as
we had in Kariba, a power failure, then obviously the stations can't
work and you have to wait.

On Jun 22, 5:52 pm, Jean Struweg <jean.stru...@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
> >> Lodge and back to Jhb. 4,008km in total.
>
> >> Border crossings:
> >> SA into Zim via Beitbridge - 50 mins start to finish
> >> Zim into Bots via Pandamatenga - 40 mins start to finish
> >> Bots into SA via Platjan - 11 mins flat
>
> >> Had no hassles in Zim with police/roadblocks etc. No real hassles in
> >> Bots with meat, the inspectors seemed disinterested mostly. Road
> >> between Nata and Kasane should be budgeted at no more than 80km/h
> >> average, better than it was 3 years ago, but by no means quick. The
> >> rest of the roads in Zim and Botswana was better than the average in
> >> South Africa. Diesel availability in Zim was sporadic, even in
> >> Bulawayo. No fuel in Hwange NP at all.
>
> >> More detailed trip report with more pics to follow. In the meantime,
> >> feel free to mail me if you need info, with the school holidays upon
> >> us I know a few of you are heading to some of the places that we

Rob Harvey

Jun 23, 2011, 12:52:43 AM6/23/11
to overland-forum
Welcome back - tell me more about Big Cave, did you camp or lodge,
worth more than one night etc?

Rgds

Jean Struweg

Jun 23, 2011, 3:59:51 AM6/23/11
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
Hi Rob

We were planning on camping, but eventually stayed in the lodge. It was not a lot more expensive, although self catering is not an option then.

I would say you could easily spend two nights to explore the area. We only spent one night (arriving at around 14h30), checked out the Motobo NP for 2 hours that afternoon, and CJ Rhodes' grave the next morning before we departed for Hwange. That was a bit rushed. From what we have seen, you can see all you need to see in a day, but then a full day, which would require two nights.

There are a few other chalet and camp accommodation in the area as well, but we did not get any of the details.

Cheers

4x4's and other stuff for sale:

Francois Visagie

Jun 23, 2011, 4:21:33 AM6/23/11
to overlan...@googlegroups.com

Thanks for your inputs, Jean and Paul.

lostshepard

Jun 23, 2011, 11:04:55 AM6/23/11
to overland-forum
If you want a really nice place to stay in the Matopos go down the
Kezi Road and on the right when the road narrows to a strip road there
is a place called Granite Ridge Lodge - they are a family of returning
Zimbabweans - come back from the UK - no explanation needed :-) - nice
chalets and they will cook for you DB&B R880 for us both, all in -
they also have a small campsite - very convenient for getting into the
Park the next day - be warned in the park -they charge you $15 to
enter the park THEN they rip you off another $10 to visit the grave &
the view - the visitors book makes for interesting reading. My take on
the area is that a day and two nights is enough and from the lodge you
can cut across through the bush to Plumtree thus avoiding having to go
back up all the way to Bulawayo.
Also have lots of small dollar bills they never have change and if you
pay in Rands the parks people tell you its 10 to 1 - everywhere else
the rate is about 7.00 to 7.20 - enjoy -
> >http://www.bigcave.co.za/http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matobo_National...

kevin...@mweb.co.za

Jun 23, 2011, 12:01:16 PM6/23/11
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
Ironic that they are just about sitting on the turbines and they have a power failure!

pam tipping

Jun 23, 2011, 12:04:00 PM6/23/11
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
Beautiful photographs!