OTSharingManager and bundle

Sam Fentress

Feb 14, 2008, 2:08:33 PM2/14/08
to otrun...@googlegroups.com
There is a new service available from the viewConfig called the OTSharingManager. This interacts with a new bundle called OTSharingBundle.

The use of this is quite simple. OTObjects can be added and removed from the list of shared objects, and the manager can provide a list of all shared objects (which can be pre-filtered to give you just the shared objects of a specific class).

This service will make it much easier for authors to connect together graphs, tables and models. An author can now add a graph to the shared objects list, so that the data from one graph can be used in a second graph. Soon they should be able to add data producers, for example, to the list, so that these could also be easily connected to a graph.

I'll update the OTrunk Services page in Confluence to reflect this new service.

Sam

PS Scott, the bundle and managers are in org.concord.otrunk.util. If you have a better place for them, let me know and I'll move them.

PPS Now that we have a Sharing Manager, we're going to need someone to write the Love and Kindness Managers

Hiroki

Feb 15, 2008, 11:48:25 AM2/15/08
to otrunk-dev
Hi Sam,

Sounds great. The service sounds like something that TELS
projects can use (ie for "Journal Step", "Show 'n Tell", and new steps
that we have in mind). Is there a demo that uses this service?

Also, we've discussed in the past about collaborating on sharing
information between students (for things like peer-review of notes,
drawing, concept-maps, etc). Is this service capable of doing that,
or is that another service that needs to be written?

Hiroki

Sam Fentress

Feb 15, 2008, 1:43:34 PM2/15/08
to otrun...@googlegroups.com, otrunk-dev
Hi Sam,

     Sounds great. The service sounds like something that TELS
projects can use (ie for "Journal Step", "Show 'n Tell", and new steps
that we have in mind).  Is there a demo that uses this service?

Hi Hiroki,

I'm not certain exactly what you mean, but if the idea is that TELS authors want to be able to show a student their previous entry in a journal step, then this could certainly fit the bill. Naturally, OTrunk objects can already refer to any other otrunk object, so this isn't necessary for the actual linking. The main purpose of this, at least when it was made (it can certainly be extended), was to make it easy for authors to add objects to a list and refer to that list later to get that same object again.

There's a now a stand-alone example of datagraph authoring which uses this. On the OTrunkExamples/DataGraphs page, you can run the last example, data_graphs_authoring.otml. You will see two graphs which can be authored by clicking on the "Edit" tab at top of each. Edit the first, click "Advanced" and check "Share this graph." Now edit the second, click "Advanced" and you will see the name of the first graph in a list. This list is populated using the OTSharingBundle.

If you select this graph and hit "ok", any data in the first graph will be shown in the second (you can draw on the first graph with the pencil and see it show up in the second).

     Also, we've discussed in the past about collaborating on sharing
information between students (for things like peer-review of notes,
drawing, concept-maps, etc).  Is this service capable of doing that,
or is that another service that needs to be written?

No, that would be a different kind of service.

Sam