CALLING FOR STORY SUBMISSIONS--4/27/12-6/20/12

Peter Pan

Apr 27, 2012, 2:24:04 PM4/27/12
to Otherworlds
Announcing a contest to have a short story in the store newsletter,
the Curiouser Phalarope.

THEME: A store where something unexpected occurs. Steampunk themes a
plus.
LENGTH: A few pages, though if a long submission is of very high
quality we will consider running it serially.
AUDIENCE: The newsletter will go out once a month, to the mailing list
of a small steampunk themed book and game store near Seattle.
otherworldsstore.com

Winners will have our extreme enthusiasm backing them, and be invited
back for future contests with larger audiences! Critiques, if
desired, can be provided for winners.

Please post any questions in this thread. Submissions may be sent
directly to me at pete...@gmail.com.

Thanks so much for your attention!

Peter Pan

Apr 27, 2012, 4:38:22 PM4/27/12
to Otherworlds
The website is otherworldsstore.com , if you'd like more of an idea
about the store.

Raydeen Graffam

Apr 29, 2012, 4:33:11 AM4/29/12
to Otherworlds
any store? any era? or are you setting up a specific 'store' for us to
play with :D
> directly to me at peterq...@gmail.com.

Peter Pan

Apr 29, 2012, 4:45:16 AM4/29/12
to Otherworlds
Any store, anywhere! XD Since the first story will 'publish' just
before our real, brick-and-mortar store will open, it seemed like a
fun tie-in with a lot of possibilities. I like themes that don't
restrict too much.

The store we're opening--and this the newsletter--is generally
steampunk themed, but sci-fi, horror, fantasy, or a glorious sundae of
them all would be more than welcome as well.

It would be fun to end up with a specific locale for people to set
stories, though, like the Thieves World anthologies--maybe eventually
if enough people like working together we could do something like
that!

I'm so glad you've signed up! I've gotten word that some people I
know are aiming to enter stories, but you're the first real activity
on this new forum! Welcome! Welcome! *confetti*

Raydeen Graffam

Apr 29, 2012, 5:21:39 AM4/29/12
to Otherworlds

Thanks, Peter... :D or should I call you 'the Pan!'

are the pictures on the web page your store? looks like an Old West
false front :D that's one of my favorite genres

Peter Pan

Apr 29, 2012, 12:31:13 PM4/29/12
to Otherworlds
Yup, that'll soon be Otherworlds! They're remodeling it,
unfortunately, but it's supposed to look the same with a new paint
job. I guess it's all rotted out...and it's Brynn, actually, but
everything comes up with the Peter Pan name because that's been my
email address forever. My favourite book! XD But I'm honoured to be
called after it, so whichever!

Moriah Frisbie

May 2, 2012, 1:32:34 PM5/2/12
to otherwor...@googlegroups.com
Is there any kind of format you would like the short stories to be in?
And where should we send them?

--Moriah Frisbie

Brynn Watson

May 2, 2012, 8:38:20 PM5/2/12
to otherwor...@googlegroups.com
Hmmm...I guess a .doc format would be best, and Curiouser...@gmail.com is the address!  Hooray!  Thanks so much for being interested!  XD
--
Otherworlds
www.otherworldsstore.com

Adelina Belet

May 29, 2012, 6:02:32 PM5/29/12
to Otherworlds
Please let me know if you ever want cover art or inside graphic design
work for your newsletter. I'm a writer but an artist too. Let me
know... in fact, sometimes I might be able to provide art to match the
stories I submit. I haven't read it anywhere yet but I take it that I
will still retain all rights to my work. Correct? Thanks for letting
me know!

LM Fields
> directly to me at peterq...@gmail.com.

Peter Pan

May 29, 2012, 8:55:01 PM5/29/12
to Otherworlds
I replied via email, but these are things people need to know so I"ll
reply here as well!

I just checked our website provider, Intuit, and they don't make any
claims on stories, so we're safe there. We want to put it in our
newsletter and have back issues available on the website, but we
aren't trying to claim any rights other than that. You would have the
rights to do whatever else you would normally do with it! (Though
when you're wildly famous a "Hey y'all, check out this store's
newsletter" wouldn't go amiss!)

As for pictures, we're intending to have art contests--and by all
means illustrate your stories! If it gets too picture-heavy with the
pictures we're putting in ourselves, we'll talk to you and figure out
which ones you definitely want, or whether a different issue would be
better, or at least put them up on the website. But I'd want to put
them all in! It'd be really fun to have illustrated stories!