Plan S policy brief for UNESCO--draft 1

Glenn Hampson

Dec 10, 2018, 5:38:55 PM12/10/18
to The Open Scholarship Initiative

Hi Folks,

Of all the emails I’ve bothered you with over the years, this one is probably the most important. I hope you can take a moment to look it over. What’s attached here is a policy brief I’ve prepared for UNESCO (with generous assistance from Rob Johnson, Michael Clarke and Rick Anderson) about how to respond to Plan S. Global events on this plan are moving fast. I thought we’d have more time to think through how to write and debate policy briefs, but UNESCO has requested our policy input immediately. We’ll still have time to revise this input, but it’s important to get a first draft in front of you for your review and consideration.

Can you please take a look at this and send me your feedback asap? On or off-list is fine. Marking up the Word document is fine, or just emailing me your comments. Dissents are also fine----if you’d like to write one, it will be attached to the end of this brief. I’m not sure yet when/how this brief will be published---for now it’s just getting ready to head to UNESCO. For the OSI issue brief series we’ve developed (and we’re on the cusp of publishing our first three briefs) the editorial team designed a detailed process for writing, editing, and feedback that I’m completely circumventing here due to time pressures---my sincere apologies to the team. We’ll try to be better prepared for the next emergency!

Thank you and best regards,

Glenn

Glenn Hampson
Executive Director
Science Communication Institute (SCI)
Program Director
Open Scholarship Initiative (OSI)

OSI-logo-email-sm2

image003.jpg
OSI-Plan-S-Policy-Brief-v1.docx

Bryan Alexander

Dec 10, 2018, 7:28:17 PM12/10/18
to Glenn Hampson, The Open Scholarship Initiative
Glad to.

Good use of previous OSI materials.  A nice attempt to find balance through.  Also, some very good writing here.  I like the punch of lines like "Plan S organizers have misinterpreted the data, and from this misinterpretation, have designed a plan that may arguably end up cutting down on the amount of open, not expanding it."

Thank you for hyperlinking to relevant documents.

Line level notes:

"the impacts of the cOAlistion’s plan" - sp?

"China’s support may also be a possibility" -> "Additionally, China's support is possible."

"A succession of European reports, expert reviews and and working groups " - the transition to this paragraph is unclear.

"A taskforce has issued implementation guidance for Plan S" - should name or otherwise introduce the task force.

"OSI acknowledges the need to work together to improve the entire global scholarly communication system---not just open, but also connected issues like impact factors, embargoes and peer review."  Feels awkward.  Perhaps "not just the open aspect"?

"Plan S will tear this down and could result in more fragile and centralized system" - can you sketch out what would constitute the central bit?

"the National Library of the Chinese Academy if Sciences" - "of Sciences"

--
As a public and publicly-funded effort, the conversations on this list can be viewed by the public and are archived. To read this group's complete listserv policy (including disclaimer and reuse information), please visit http://osinitiative.org/osi-listservs.
---

David Wojick

Dec 11, 2018, 1:57:16 PM12/11/18
to The Open Scholarship Initiative
This is an excellent Plan S issue analysis, the best I have seen, by far. There are a few issues we have discussed that I do not see mentioned and I would emphasize some things more or less than the draft does, but these are minor points. This text would make a good start-up issue tree of the Plan S issues.

My editorial philosophy is do not ask how to make the text better, ask is it good enough. It is fine. Hats off to the authors.

David
http://insidepublicaccess.com/