M'sian Govt Show Them the Numbers

red1

Mar 3, 2011, 7:53:31 PM3/3/11
to osdcm...@googlegroups.com
http://www.opensource.org/node/535 -

Malaysian Government has reached 97% OSS Adoption

and saves  http://www.bytebot.net/blog/archives/2010/07/05/open-source-saves-malaysian-government-rm188-million

RM188!

Yep we got the numbers! Nape? Tak caya ke? Tak leh bawa bank kah? Kene tunjuk cash jugak ka? Nama je bank. Tolong orang kaya saja...

sudahla... :)

..

Harisfazillah Jamel

Mar 3, 2011, 7:57:51 PM3/3/11
to osdcm...@googlegroups.com
SO ?

What next step you want community to do?

Can you get this number to politician and get the buy in?

Any plan that you can show to us?

Any schedule that we can follow?

Any contact that we can communicate?

red1

Mar 3, 2011, 8:00:10 PM3/3/11
to osdcm...@googlegroups.com
I want the community to think.

Azrul MADISA

Mar 3, 2011, 8:03:33 PM3/3/11
to osdcm...@googlegroups.com
Wow! I'm going to champion proprietary software la from now on

On Fri, Mar 4, 2011 at 8:53 AM, red1 <re...@red1.org> wrote:

MOSC2011 http://fb.me/mosc2011

MOSC Survey 2011 Awareness Of OSS Certification
http://survey.mosc.my/mosc-survey-2011-awareness-oss-cert

Harisfazillah Jamel

Mar 3, 2011, 8:04:52 PM3/3/11
to osdcm...@googlegroups.com
What do you propose? You are not answering me. For 2 years this list
exist we already discuss a lot.

Its not THINKING time. Its action time. Every one that write or
suggestion in this list already doing things.

SO ....

What you are doing?

Can I have your schedule to sync with mine?

Can I have your plan to sync with mine?

red1

Mar 3, 2011, 8:05:45 PM3/3/11
to osdcm...@googlegroups.com
Sorry.. i made a typo below its RM188m (tertinggal pula figure M, kekekee)

Azrul, Excuse Moi?
What u mean? Vous Lompate Marine?

red1

Mar 3, 2011, 8:23:40 PM3/3/11
to osdcm...@googlegroups.com
I dont have another plan. I am on free-flow from day one. I code and
upload to kick ass. And i dont mean small kuchi rat ass. As Riz quoted
me in front of Dr. M, "one day he wants SAP to die".
What i bitching here for the last 2 years is against hyprocrisy. And
falsified numbers.

By the way, i always supported your plan. I like the MyOSCON yearly
thingy alot. Even though there are weaknesses but they are all on the
right track. It takes time. Just that i think it should be more
mindblowing like the style of Law Abiding Citizen. But then, many of us
(the rest of us :) ) are bit kuuchi rats. Kiasu.

My dream plan (which i am doing anyway daily in my farm) is to produce
something that will make Steve Jobs tertiarap. Actually he is quite
kurang sihat and i am sorry if he tertiarap kerana sebab2 tu plak. So
better awe him before that.

My dream plan is to produce the Google Earth/Map - Sphinx voice
recognition interface integrated to ERP (that owns the backend
heavyhouse) and with my voice, i can activate transactions across the
globe and see all the status color code in 3D ( i saw Green Hornet
alredy.. Wariola bawa saya ke Berjaya Times Square hari tu). So ade
orang mau sponsor itu ka? I dont think so. Only when _after_ you done
kaw-kaw barulah semua sibuk-sibuk nak tumpang glamour pula.

riZer Enterprise

Mar 3, 2011, 9:07:17 PM3/3/11
to osdcm...@googlegroups.com
IMHO
everyday kita bangun hendaklah kita tanya what fos contribution that we will do today? What are we doing (FOSS point of view) for the comunity today?
Apakah yang akan kita sumbangkan kepada komuniti hari ini?

svai deutschmark
brolinux

*memang nak tumpang glamour tuan red1 no better yet let me be your right hand man... kick ass {it's cool}

red1

Mar 3, 2011, 9:15:43 PM3/3/11
to osdcm...@googlegroups.com
Ok, then as Brother Haris bagi nasihat, we must mean action. If you are
serious to be my khadam, i mean right hand man, show me your codes.
Please, no juniors in my league. Kene macam itu side-kick Hornet, apa
nama budak Bruce Lee tu?

Soire Meira

Mar 3, 2011, 9:48:39 PM3/3/11
to osdcm...@googlegroups.com
erk.. khadam???

2011/3/4 red1 <re...@red1.org>

MOSC2011 http://fb.me/mosc2011

MOSC Survey 2011 Awareness Of OSS Certification
http://survey.mosc.my/mosc-survey-2011-awareness-oss-cert

Maui Sabily 2011
GPG KeyID: DBDA3074
GPG Fingerprint: 3CCE D281 C894 4FB0 3D22 2141 75C6 E41F DBDA 3074

Soire Meira 2008 - 2011
EascobaNET, Inc 2006 - 2010
Ch0kL@Thack 2002
PaleoY2K 1998 - 2000

http://www.sabily.my
http://www.sabily-my.tk

Developer:
Sabily NetBook Remix 10.10 Al-Quds
Sabily Zakat Calc 0.2-1 Beta (Debian)
Asmawi Office 0.1 Alpha (Webase Presentiton)
Soire TV & Radio (Windows Only - continue version on Linux)
BrutuSamaDia (Remote Desktop Penetration Testing)
Mauiware.AYU.0.6 (Virus Cleanner & Get Back Hidden Files)

Malicious of Dark Knight - "Hack To Learn, Don't Learn To Hack"

Ghodmode

Mar 3, 2011, 9:56:29 PM3/3/11
to osdcm...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Mar 4, 2011 at 8:53 AM, red1 <re...@red1.org> wrote:
Lets capitalize on this opportunity.  The new FLOSS users need support.  Who will put on their business card "Specializing in FLOSS Implementation and Support Services"?

And another thought...
From the articles, my guess is that their savings comes primarily from dumping Microsoft Office in favor of OpenOffice.org.  But OpenOffice.org has fallen out of favor a little bit due to Oracle's influence.  The managers and officers in government offices aren't likely to know anything about this, or even care, but we do.

My concern is that now Oracle will basically try to take over where Microsoft left off by locking consumers (government offices included) into some kind of services, modules, and support plan that they can't get from the Open Source world.

In a few years will we be fighting Oracle the same way we've fought Microsoft in the past?

I can now see why RMS is a lifelong activist... it just never ends.

I'm curious what everyone thinks.  Does it matter to you?  Is it a problem?

Has anyone heard of the related term "Open Core"?
What is open core licensing (and what isn’t) UPDATED - 451 CAOS Theory
(http://blogs.the451group.com/opensource/2010/10/20/what-is-open-core-licensing-and-what-isnt/)

--

Ghodmode
http://www.ghodmode.com/blog

sweemeng ng

Mar 3, 2011, 11:17:33 PM3/3/11
to osdcmy-list
Among community members, we do have a few that do support on FLOSS,

btw when talking about FLOSS adoption in govt, don't forget about infrastructure migration on OS, or database etc, that do save a lot of money, the license for the proprietary software they replacing is just INSANE.

Hasanuddin Abu Bakar

Mar 4, 2011, 1:56:37 AM3/4/11
to osdcm...@googlegroups.com

On 4 Mar 2011, at 10:57, Ghodmode <ghod...@ghodmode.com> wrote:

On Fri, Mar 4, 2011 at 8:53 AM, red1 <re...@red1.org> wrote:
http://www.opensource.org/node/535 -

Malaysian Government has reached 97% OSS Adoption

and saves  http://www.bytebot.net/blog/archives/2010/07/05/open-source-saves-malaysian-government-rm188-million

RM188!

Yep we got the numbers! Nape? Tak caya ke? Tak leh bawa bank kah? Kene tunjuk cash jugak ka? Nama je bank. Tolong orang kaya saja...

sudahla... :)

Lets capitalize on this opportunity.  The new FLOSS users need support.  Who will put on their business card "Specializing in FLOSS Implementation and Support Services"?

Open Kod Sdn Bhd do this :)

And another thought...
From the articles, my guess is that their savings comes primarily from dumping Microsoft Office in favor of OpenOffice.org.  But OpenOffice.org has fallen out of favor a little bit due to Oracle's influence.  The managers and officers in government offices aren't likely to know anything about this, or even care, but we do.

My concern is that now Oracle will basically try to take over where Microsoft left off by locking consumers (government offices included) into some kind of services, modules, and support plan that they can't get from the Open Source world.

In a few years will we be fighting Oracle the same way we've fought Microsoft in the past?

I can now see why RMS is a lifelong activist... it just never ends.

I'm curious what everyone thinks.  Does it matter to you?  Is it a problem?

Has anyone heard of the related term "Open Core"?
What is open core licensing (and what isn’t) UPDATED - 451 CAOS Theory
(http://blogs.the451group.com/opensource/2010/10/20/what-is-open-core-licensing-and-what-isnt/)

--

Ghodmode
http://www.ghodmode.com/blog

Raja Iskandar Shah

Mar 4, 2011, 2:27:31 AM3/4/11
to osdcmy-list
dear all,

the total cost savings were mainly from reported estimates (not some number plucked from the sky !) on the following extract :

Using OSS as a cost efficient approach for providing web application services

Usage and development of OSS solutions have become increasingly sophisticated particularly for OSS content management and database systems becoming popular building blocks for developing web based applications and portals. Using OSS for rapid deployment of web based applications is estimated to benefit the Government by RM280,489 for each implementation in respect of reduced imports on foreign proprietary software licensing. These cost savings is the factor most quoted by agencies for adopting OSS.

Use of OSS in shared or outsourced services

OSS is becoming the solution of choice for the larger agencies, such as the state governments of Johor and Terengganu, to consolidate and provide shared services across the agencies without having to increase the infrastructure and manpower in the smaller agencies. The OSCC itself have already set-up an Advanced Virtualisation Facility (AVF) that can be suitable for use in such consolidated services.

Increasing competency within the agencies towards in-house OSS implementation

Based on the submissions received for the 2008 and 2009 OSS Case Study Awards, only 20% cited vendor involvement in the implementation reflecting the increasing competency towards in-house OSS implementations. This is expected as a result in increased use of OSS for enhancing the delivery of e-government services particularly in government to community (G2C) and government to employee (G2E) type of services.

extract

Included in this cost savings estimate is an amount of RM60,124,667 which the xxx has reported as their estimated cost savings based on an agreement to a package sum of RM10 million for licensing proprietary Microsoft software products to institutions under the Ministry. This is in part attributed to the more competitive software market as a result of the increase in OSS adoption in the Public Sector.

Besides the above reduction in foreign proprietary software licensing cost, the top three cost savings are for content management systems (RM28,898,738), OpenOffice.org (RM28,198,850) and databases (RM20,673,289). On a global scale there are many instances of using OSS database and content management systems as the building blocks for web based applications and portals. With the increased demand for such systems, there are still many potential opportunities for further cost savings.

i think web application frameworks and also cloud / high availability / elastic / virtualisation / cluster environments would be the hot business -
a clustered web application using oracle web, oracle db on oracle rac costs millions (actually only 20% goes back to oracle corp, usa)
now somebody need to come up with a reference architecture and certify the performance is equivalent

riZer Enterprise

Mar 4, 2011, 2:37:58 AM3/4/11
to osdcm...@googlegroups.com
nama dia kedo (kay-dough) dia baik keta baapak dan buat kopi tiap2 pagi dalam citer tu.

maaf saya tak faam apa tuan red1 maksudkan dgn "show me your codes" saya takut kalau tuan nak tgk $$$ numbers tu yang takut skit tu sebab tak berapa nak ada sangat :) ahakks..

red1

Mar 4, 2011, 2:49:06 AM3/4/11
to osdcm...@googlegroups.com
aiya kod pun tada tau ka? ... tak berapa tau tak pe... itu passion fruit mesti ada.