Rails forum plugin?

Chris Booth

Oct 1, 2008, 3:17:42 PM10/1/08
to Orlando Ruby Users Group Discussion
Hey all,

I'm trying to find a good forum to add to a site. I'm wondering if
anyone has any experience with any of these or knows of another one
that is good.

Vanilla
Savage Beast 2.0
Altered Beast
RForum

One thing that will be a requirement is to use the same logins that
restful_authentication uses for the site, so they've got single
login. It would be nice if I could also carry the privileges over to
the forum (i.e. site admin is automatically a forum admin).

The site is still under development so I don't really have any issues
with trying to cram something into old, released code.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Chris

Mike Pence

Oct 1, 2008, 3:23:37 PM10/1/08
to orug-di...@googlegroups.com
We've enhanced RForum successfully, but it was not a small task. Is
Vanilla done in Ruby? I have always like the functionality of it...

Mike Pence
Sarasota

Mike Pence

Oct 1, 2008, 3:24:36 PM10/1/08
to orug-di...@googlegroups.com
http://www.thefutureoftheweb.com/blog/vanilla-on-rails-php-and-ruby-on-rails-coexisting

There seem to be no attractive options for forums in Ruby.

Chris Booth

Oct 1, 2008, 3:39:33 PM10/1/08
to Orlando Ruby Users Group Discussion
As far as I know, Vanilla is still php. I did read this blog earlier,
and it looked easy enough to set up, but I'm not sure that it will
meet the single login requirement. Plus, I don't really know php that
well, so I'd prefer to have something written in Ruby, so I have a
better chance of customizing it.

Savage Beast 2.0 looks interesting, but I'm having trouble finding any
examples or experiences on the web, so it's hard to tell if it's just
glossy-brochure good or really good.

Back to Google...

Chris

On Oct 1, 3:24 pm, "Mike Pence" <mike.pe...@gmail.com> wrote:
> http://www.thefutureoftheweb.com/blog/vanilla-on-rails-php-and-ruby-o...
>
> There seem to be no attractive options for forums in Ruby.

Jeremy McAnally

Oct 1, 2008, 3:56:05 PM10/1/08
to orug-di...@googlegroups.com
I've personally taken Altered Beast and pluginized it. It took some
time to get the tests up and working again but overall it wasn't THAT
painful. I think it's actually available here if you want to dig
through the other stuff and figure out what you need:
http://github.com/courtenay/tentacle/tree/master

It resides in vendor/plugins/tentacled_beast. I can't really offer
you any help with it, but it should be straightforward. It likely
requires a few of the other plugins in there to make it work.

--Jeremy

--
http://jeremymcanally.com/
http://entp.com/