First meeting ideas and resolutions

1 view

Joshua Blount

Jul 31, 2008, 9:49:30 AM7/31/08
to Orlando Python Users Group
Our first meeting was a success yesterday (attendance:
http://twitter.com/opug/statuses/873248581) and I wanted to make some
suggestions about future meetings and other thoughts about the group.
Forgive the length, but explicit is better the implicit (http://
www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0020/)

1. Orlando PUG is not Orlando Django Users Group. 3 out of the 4
people that were there last night are learning python primarily as a
way to utilize Django, but I think it's important to keep our focus
broad, even if we all agree that Django is the best thing that has
happened to the internet since Apache.

2. Python people are awesome, so we don't necessarily need to schedule
everything. I'm planning on giving a short tutorial next month, and
there is one other talk someone is preparing for, but I'm going to
suggest that instead of someone scheduling talks and being super tight
with our schedule, or even necessarily scheduling talks before hand.
If you have an idea or suggestion for something for next months
meeting, post it here and let's decide as a group if we'd like to do
it or not.

3. Location agnostic. I know it might be easier to have the meeting in
one place all the time but I really feel like we should do our best to
move around a bit. The first meeting was at Stardust, and it looks
like the second meeting might be in some swanky offices in Altamonte,
but perhaps sometime soon we can meet over in Melbourne or Cocoa, in
order to share the gas burden a bit with our neighbors from the
coast.

4. Who's the boss? Chris Scott and I "own" the various accounts, but
if you would like moderation / posting / any sort of access on
something that is labeled OPUG, just let me know and I'll get you
setup or give you the password. One of the great things about a less
top down group is that as some people lose interest, others can come
and reignite the group, similar to the way Free/Libre/Open Source
Software allows developers to pick up a project even long after it's
been abandoned by the original owners.

I'm also going to start lurking in #opug on freenode if anyone is
feeling chatty.

Matthew Williams

Aug 1, 2008, 7:45:21 AM8/1/08
On Jul 31, 9:49 am, Joshua Blount <jblo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Our first meeting was a success yesterday (attendance:http://twitter.com/opug/statuses/873248581) and I wanted to make some
> suggestions about future meetings and other thoughts about the group.
> Forgive the length, but explicit is better the implicit (http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0020/)

Congrats on the success, I wish I could have attended. Insane rain
and a 70 mile drive kept me home unfortunately. Can anyone post their
slides (if applicable)?

> 1. Orlando PUG is not Orlando Django Users Group. 3 out of the 4
> people that were there last night are learning python primarily as a
> way to utilize Django, but I think it's important to keep our focus
> broad, even if we all agree that Django is the best thing that has
> happened to the internet since Apache.

This is sort of how the ORUG has flowed, _lots_ of Rails content,
which isn't terrible but we do get a good Ruby talk (meta programming,
DSL's, idioms) etc etc. I've found the mix to be good and when the
language is so highly focused in an area like Ruby is so closely
associated with Ruby because of how much Rails has exposed Ruby to so
many people, although as it turns out for many, "I came for Rails and
stayed for Ruby" (which I don't think is the same case for Python, I'm
sure many don't necessarily think Django first thing when they think
Python).

> 2. Python people are awesome, so we don't necessarily need to schedule
> everything. I'm planning on giving a short tutorial next month, and
> there is one other talk someone is preparing for, but I'm going to
> suggest that instead of someone scheduling talks and being super tight
> with our schedule, or even necessarily scheduling talks before hand.
> If you have an idea or suggestion for something for next months
> meeting, post it here and let's decide as a group if we'd like to do
> it or not.

Good idea.

> 3. Location agnostic. I know it might be easier to have the meeting in
> one place all the time but I really feel like we should do our best to
> move around a bit. The first meeting was at Stardust, and it looks
> like the second meeting might be in some swanky offices in Altamonte,
> but perhaps sometime soon we can meet over in Melbourne or Cocoa, in
> order to share the gas burden a bit with our neighbors from the
> coast.

I like the way you think Josh :). Although I don't know how much draw
there is out here... There are a few folks who are somewhat regular
when it comes to ORUG who make the hike to Orlando, but we're talking
2-3 people... I think it would only be fair to you folks in Orlando
to get a big idea of how many people locally to Cocoa/Melbourne would
actually show before scheduling something. I think the only UG in
this area is for .NET developers......

Joshua Blount

Aug 1, 2008, 9:46:29 AM8/1/08
to Orlando Python Users Group

On Aug 1, 7:45 am, Matthew Williams <matthew.d.willi...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> On Jul 31, 9:49 am, Joshua Blount <jblo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Congrats on the success, I wish I could have attended. Insane rain
> and a 70 mile drive kept me home unfortunately. Can anyone post their
> slides (if applicable)?

No slides this go around, no one gave an actual presentation, we just
each talked a bit about our background, and how we came to want to
learn Python. I'll be sure to get any presentation stuff posted as we
have presentations to post.

> I like the way you think Josh :).  Although I don't know how much draw
> there is out here...  There are a few folks who are somewhat regular
> when it comes to ORUG who make the hike to Orlando, but we're talking
> 2-3 people...  I think it would only be fair to you folks in Orlando
> to get a big idea of how many people locally to Cocoa/Melbourne would
> actually show before scheduling something.  I think the only UG in
> this area is for .NET developers......

We can re-evaluate as time goes on, but 1/4 of the group was from your
neck of the woods, so it seems only fair that we would (at some point)
head over there.

Bill Evans

Aug 3, 2008, 9:29:49 PM8/3/08
to orlan...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Jul 31, 2008 at 9:49 AM, Joshua Blount <jbl...@gmail.com> wrote:

1. Orlando PUG is not Orlando Django Users Group. 3 out of the 4
people that were there last night are learning python primarily as a
way to utilize Django, but I think it's important to keep our focus
broad, even if we all agree that Django is the best thing that has
happened to the internet since Apache.

Alas, I guess you're right. Let's fix, that who the hell is down for ODUG?!!!

2. Python people are awesome, so we don't necessarily need to schedule
everything. I'm planning on giving a short tutorial next month, and
there is one other talk someone is preparing for, but I'm going to
suggest that instead of someone scheduling talks and being super tight
with our schedule, or even necessarily scheduling talks before hand.
If you have an idea or suggestion for something for next months
meeting, post it here and let's decide as a group if we'd like to do
it or not.

I agree that we don't need to have a rigid schedule for every meeting. Although If there is zero structure then we may never have any content. I think people posting topics they'd like discussed is a great idea. Then people can volunteer to discuss that topic. When that person is ready to present, they can do so at the next meeting. I'll kick off the idea list. I've been looking for an excuse to use fabric: http://www.nongnu.org/fab/ if anyone has experience or if anyone else is interested in it speak up. That being said we should setup a place where the topic ideas can be posted.

It would also be cool if we could come up with some kind of project we could sprint at the meetings.

3. Location agnostic. I know it might be easier to have the meeting in
one place all the time but I really feel like we should do our best to
move around a bit. The first meeting was at Stardust, and it looks
like the second meeting might be in some swanky offices in Altamonte,
but perhaps sometime soon we can meet over in Melbourne or Cocoa, in
order to share the gas burden a bit with our neighbors from the
coast.

I'm down for driving to the coast from time to time. Perhaps we could also meet half way, if there is a logical half way point. My office is also always available.

I'd like to work on the website. (http://orlandopython.com/)

--
Bill Evans

squareFACTOR
bi...@squarefactor.com
office:407.268.4408

Joshua Blount

Aug 4, 2008, 10:20:45 AM8/4/08
On Aug 3, 2008, at 9:29 PM, Bill Evans wrote:

I agree that we don't need to have a rigid schedule for every
meeting. Although If there is zero structure then we may never have
any content. I think people posting topics they'd like discussed is a
great idea. Then people can volunteer to discuss that topic. When that
person is ready to present, they can do so at the next meeting. I'll
kick off the idea list. I've been looking for an excuse to use fabric:
http://www.nongnu.org/fab/ if anyone has experience or if anyone else
is interested in it speak up. That being said we should setup a place
where the topic ideas can be posted.

Perhaps a small app that let's users submit talks / topics with a
simple voting application could be setup @ orlandopython.com

For the next meeting (tentatively schedule for August 27th) we could
probably just use the mailing list. Submit a talk (throw @topic: topic
title in the subject to make it easy to sort) and we could do the
+1 / -1 system to choose.

It would also be cool if we could come up with some kind of
project we could sprint at the meetings.

Any thoughts on what sort of project? I've been thinking that Central
Florida needs some sort of combined user group / geeky event calendar
that is open for owners of events to change, publishes iCal feeds,
etc, but I'd love to help with some sort of project that we could
publish as a group.

I'm down for driving to the coast from time to time. Perhaps we
could also meet half way, if there is a logical half way point. My
office is also always available.

Are we on for your office for the next meeting? August 27th is the
last wednesday in August, if this is what we're going to do we should
sort out options for drinks or maybe even food so squareFACTOR isn't
footing the whole bill ;)

Also, for the following month, Chad Miller suggested http://www.thefrostymug.com/
(in Mount Dora!). Great beer, decent atmosphere, and no wifi, so we
would be limited in some ways, but it could make for a interesting
change of pace.

I'd like to work on the website. (http://orlandopython.com/)

I'd be happy to facilitate. Hit me on he...@joshuablount.com or via
im / irc to sort out details. I could just transfer the domain to you
(the current is hosted on my personal slicehost account, so I was
going to have to move it at some point anyway). It's be best if we
could get it hosted somewhere that was semi public so that trusted
users could have access to commit / checkout code / etc, but that's
not a necessity.

Bill Evans

Aug 4, 2008, 10:51:31 AM8/4/08
to orlan...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Aug 4, 2008 at 10:20 AM, Joshua Blount <jbl...@gmail.com> wrote:

Perhaps a small app that let's users submit talks / topics with a
simple voting application could be setup @ orlandopython.com

Exactly what I was thinking.

For the next meeting (tentatively schedule for August 27th) we could
probably just use the mailing list. Submit a talk (throw @topic: topic
title in the subject to make it easy to sort)  and we could do the
+1 / -1 system to choose.

+1

Any thoughts on what sort of project? I've been thinking that Central
Florida needs some sort of combined user group / geeky event calendar
that is open for owners of events to change, publishes iCal feeds,
etc, but I'd love to help with some sort of project that we could
publish as a group.

Are we on for your office for the next meeting? August 27th is the
last wednesday in August, if this is what we're going to do we should
sort out options for drinks or maybe even food so squareFACTOR isn't
footing the whole bill ;)

Yea we're on if everyone is down for coming here. I'll gladly provide drinks, food will need to be figured out though.

I'd be happy to facilitate. Hit me on he...@joshuablount.com or via
im / irc to sort out details. I could just transfer the domain to you
(the current is hosted on my personal slicehost account, so I was
going to have to move it at some point anyway). It's be best if we
could get it hosted somewhere that was semi public so that trusted
users could have access to commit / checkout code / etc, but that's
not a necessity.

I've got a few slices, I could throw it one of those. I'll setup a public SVN repository too so anyone who wants to check it out and work on it can do so.

Joshua Blount

Aug 4, 2008, 2:25:36 PM8/4/08
to Orlando Python Users Group
Also, it looks like CoLab Orlando's Open House is going to be August
27th, so I would suggest to move the next meeting to August 20th,
rather than the 27th so that we can support them (http://
colaborlando.com/)

Let me know if this is a terrible decision, or if anyone has another
suggestion.

Bill Evans

Aug 4, 2008, 3:26:39 PM8/4/08
to orlan...@googlegroups.com

On Mon, Aug 4, 2008 at 2:25 PM, Joshua Blount <jbl...@gmail.com> wrote:

Also, it looks like CoLab Orlando's Open House is going to be August
27th, so I would suggest to move the next meeting to August 20th,
rather than the 27th so that we can support them (http://
colaborlando.com/)

I think that this is a good idea. I didn't even know this was coming up. If only we had a local website for this sort of information...

Bill Evans

Aug 15, 2008, 10:00:45 PM8/15/08
to orlan...@googlegroups.com
so are we definitely on board for next wed?

--
Bill Evans

squareFACTOR
bi...@squarefactor.com
office:407.637.2419

Joshua Blount

Aug 15, 2008, 11:11:38 PM8/15/08
to Orlando Python Users Group
I'm in. Anyone that is planning on coming, can you reply so we can get
a bit of a headcount ?

Here's the office address:

222 S Westmonte Dr
Suite 311