We have a law that is inadequate; let’s work together through
democratic practices, as home brewers, home wine makers, legislators
and the OLCC to amend the law so it is beneficial to the people of
Goal: To help in the legislative process in creating a law that allows
the legality of holding competitions, transporting beer for personnel
consumption outside the home, holding a beer club meeting in
commercial establishments, being able to sample homemade beverages and
clarify the ability to give prizes to contest winners.
1. Clear and concise.
2. We do not want to come across as militant.
3. This is just a chance to fix a law that was broken on
creation almost 20 years ago.
4. We are not blaming anyone; we let the ball down in 1992 by
not being part of the democratic process.
5. OLCC is correct, they are just doing what they have been
mandated by law, they are not the problem.
6. DOJ is correct, they are just upholding a law we do not agree
with, they are not the problem.
7. No profanity.
8. We are not blaming the legislators for not solving this when
they are NOT in session.
1. Must be clear, concise and enforceable
2. Beer club meetings
a. Be able to sample homemade beverages in commercial licensed
b. Be able to sample homemade beverages in people’s homes.
3. Homebrew competitions
a. Be able to have them in commercial establishments. This is a
great revenue generator and advertising for them.
b. Be able to have them in people’s homes.
4. Transportation of homemade beverages
a. We want to be able to transport competition entries to the
b. Share with friends and family away from home
5. Prizes: They should not be construed as “payment” for winning
in a contest. When you think about it, the judges are the ones who
consume some of the beverages before they are dumped. The judges
receive no monetary compensation, or pay to be able to judging.
Existing Law: It is not our goal to change many aspects of the law,
especially the fact that we cannot sell our beverages without becoming
a licensed producer.