ORCiD and repo integration - Do we have an accurate list from ORCiD?

Susan Borda

Apr 9, 2021, 12:28:31 PM4/9/21
to ORCID API Users
Hi-
We, at UMich Deep Blue, are considering integrating ORCiD with our DSpace repository. How do we know if have a "good/accurate" list of UMich ORCiD users to start with? After the ORCiD API integration how will we narrow down the list of ORCiD users in the "lookup" process? https://wiki.lyrasis.org/display/DSDOC6x/ORCID+Integration#ORCIDIntegration-SubmissionofnewDSpaceitems-Authorlookup

I'm thinking I will use the API to "pull" a list of ORCiD users that list University of Michigan, but this could be undergrads, former/current graduate students, former/current faculty then compare this to our list of creators in Deep Blue but I'm guessing we will still have duplicate names given the size of our institution.

How have others narrowed this list?

We are also looking at this CRIS option as well: https://wiki.lyrasis.org/display/DSPACECRIS/ORCID+Integration

Thanks in advance for any suggestions you may have.

- susan

Sheila Rabun

Apr 10, 2021, 2:18:40 PM4/10/21
to ORCID API Users
Hi Susan,

The best practice for confirming that you have the correct iDs for the correct people involves using the ORCID API to have those individuals connect their authenticated ORCID iD via the ORCID API OAuth process. Otherwise, there is alot of room for error in terms of making sure you have accurate ORCID iDs for the people in your repository. The current DSpace plugins for ORCID do not use the best practice, but rather you can either use the Public API to "lookup" ORCID iDs based on name - which again leaves room for error, or as a work-around you can obtain authenticated ORCID iDs from a different local ORCID API integration or a custom microservice and then load those into DSpace via CSV - other institutions in the ORCID US Community have done this for example by taking ORCID iDs that were authenticated in Symplectic Elements, which has an ORCID member API integration, and then importing those confirmed iDs into DSpace. The DSpace CRIS code however does use the best practice for authentication so that is definitely worth looking at. Univ. of Michigan is an ORCID member through the ORCID US Community consortium, and I am your dedicated support person - I can work with you to assess the options and find the best route to meet your goals. Please feel free to contact me directly at sheila...@lyrasis.org. I look forward to working with you

Best,
Sheila