patch to put dbms_output into the rails log file

Alex Rothenberg

Aug 19, 2009, 4:14:38 PM8/19/09
to Oracle enhanced adapter for ActiveRecord
I added some code to my fork of oracle-enhanced (http://github.com/
alexrothenberg/oracle-enhanced/commit/
00084e4e97d94cdab04ca1eb16275e0ed88c9490) that allows you to enable/
disable dbms_output much like 'set serveroutput on' when it is enabled
the adapter reads the output from Oracle and writes it to the Rails
log so you can see what's going on in Rails and PL/SQL together.

I have found this useful when dealing with a large existing database
with a lot of pl/sql sitting behind triggers. It has helped me
understand what the plsql is doing and uncover existing bugs.

I haven't seen anything similar out there which surprised me and I'm
curious if others would find this helpful or have other ways of
achieving the same ends. I have submitted a pull request to Raimonds
so we'll see what he thinks.

Thanks
Alex