Um...what?!

gatt

May 29, 2007, 12:45:57 PM5/29/07
The federal government recorded a $1.3 trillion loss last year - far more
than the official $248 billion deficit - when corporate-style accounting
standards are used, a USA TODAY analysis shows.

The loss reflects a continued deterioration in the finances of Social
Security and government retirement programs for civil servants and military
personnel. The loss - equal to $11,434 per household - is more than
Americans paid in income taxes in 2006.

"We're on an unsustainable path and doing a great disservice to future
generations," says Chris Chocola, a former Republican member of Congress
from Indiana and corporate chief executive who is pushing for more accurate
federal accounting.

Modern accounting requires that corporations, state governments and local
governments count expenses immediately when a transaction occurs, even if
the payment will be made later.

The federal government does not follow the rule, so promises for Social
Security and Medicare don't show up when the government reports its
financial condition.

Bottom line: Taxpayers are now on the hook for a record $59.1 trillion in
liabilities, a 2.3% increase from 2006. That amount is equal to $516,348 for
every U.S. household. By comparison, U.S. households owe an average of
$112,043 for mortgages, car loans, credit cards and all other debt combined.

SOURCE: USA TODAY

Ockham's Razor

May 29, 2007, 2:48:32 PM5/29/07
In article <135om8c...@corp.supernews.com>,
"gatt" <LiveFromTh...@gfy.com> wrote:

But we sure do have some tax cuts and guns and butter.

carrying a cross."
Sinclair Lewis

Lobby Dosser

May 29, 2007, 8:24:21 PM5/29/07
"gatt" <LiveFromTh...@gfy.com> wrote:

> Bottom line: Taxpayers are now on the hook for a record $59.1 trillion
> in liabilities, a 2.3% increase from 2006. That amount is equal to
> $516,348 for every U.S. household. By comparison, U.S. households owe
> an average of $112,043 for mortgages, car loans, credit cards and all
> other debt combined.

Shit! Guess we won't be going to Italy next year.

lein

May 30, 2007, 12:37:59 AM5/30/07
On May 29, 11:48 am, Ockham's Razor <Menc...@pdx.net> wrote:
> In article <135om8ckae2k...@corp.supernews.com>,

Wanna go back to Carteromics?

Bill Shatzer

May 30, 2007, 1:43:32 AM5/30/07
lein wrote:

> On May 29, 11:48 am, Ockham's Razor <Menc...@pdx.net> wrote:

>>In article <135om8ckae2k...@corp.supernews.com>,

>> "gatt" <LiveFromTheClockto...@gfy.com> wrote:

-snip-

>>But we sure do have some tax cuts and guns and butter.

> Wanna go back to Carteromics?

Gee, those are the only two choices?

Just going back to Clintonomics would seem a satisfactory option.

Peace and justice,

chupacabra

May 30, 2007, 12:27:42 PM5/30/07
Bill Shatzer wrote:

> Peace and justice,

Shit and piss,

Corky K

May 31, 2007, 2:33:30 AM5/31/07
Suddenly, chupacabra <bl...@suck.er>, blurted out the following:

>Bill Shatzer wrote:
>
>> Peace and justice,
>>
>Shit and piss,

Nice to see what each of you stand for.

gatt

May 31, 2007, 10:43:13 AM5/31/07

"Corky K" <Cor...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> Suddenly, chupacabra <bl...@suck.er>, blurted out the following:
>
>>Bill Shatzer wrote:
>>
>>> Peace and justice,
>>>
>>Shit and piss,
>
> Nice to see what each of you stand for.

*cackle*

chupacabra

May 31, 2007, 7:01:04 PM5/31/07
Corky K wrote:
> Suddenly, chupacabra <bl...@suck.er>, blurted out the following:
>
>> Bill Shatzer wrote:
>>
>>> Peace and justice,
>>>
>> Shit and piss,
>
> Nice to see what each of you stand for.

Just christening him with the proper solvents.

chupacabra

May 31, 2007, 7:31:25 PM5/31/07
What are you, a dumb cluck?