Using SCIP with or-tools

Laurent Perron

Jun 22, 2011, 5:55:29 AM6/22/11
to or-tools...@googlegroups.com
hello,

We have added scip support in the linear_solver wrappers of or-tools. For now, support is limited to mac os X and linux 32/64 bit. Windows support will come later.
Please note that soplex and scip have special licenses and you should make sure you are allowed to use it. We believe scip is the best open source solver out there.

Here are the needed steps to use it:
  - First download soplex from soplex.zib.de (last version is 1.5.0) and untar it.
  - If you are on linux, copy soplex.make.linux.x86.gnu.opt-pic or soplex.make.linux.x86_64.gnu.opt-pic from http://code.google.com/p/or-tools/source/browse/#svn%2Fresources
    to soplex-1.5.0/make directory. Then remove the soplex prefix from the file. It should be make.linux.x86_64.gnu.opt-pic for instance.
  - Step into soplex-1.5.0 and type:
    * on mac OS X: make
    * on linux make OPT=opt-pic
  - Download scip from scip.zib.de (last version is 2.01) and untar it.
  - on linux, copy le scip.make.linux* and to the make directory and remove the scip prefix.
  - Step into scip-2.0.1 and type:
    * on mac OS X: make ZIMPL=false
    * on linux make OPT=opt-pic ZIMPL=false
   To compile scip, it will asks for path to soplex/src and soplex library (e.g. libsoplex.linux.x86_64.gnu.opt-pic.a). We do not use dynamic libraries.
  - Go into or-tools, add UNIX_SCIP_DIR=../scip-2.0.1 (change the path if needed) to Makefile.local
  - make clean; make lpexe
  - You should be able to launch integer_solver_example and see

examples/integer_solver_example.cc:52: ----- Running MIP Example with SCIP -----
examples/integer_solver_example.cc:36: objective = 6

Then you are all set.

--Laurent Perron

stefa...@hotmail.com

Jun 23, 2011, 4:47:48 PM6/23/11
to or-tools-discuss
Hi Laurent,

It should be much easier to prepare SCIP for or tools. Can some check
the following work flow for linux and mac:

1) Download ZIB Oprimization Suite from http://zibopt.zib.de/download.shtml
2) Unpack everything with tar cvf ziboptsuite-2.0.1.tgz
3) Change into the directory ziboptsuite-2.0.1
4) Compile using:

make ZIMPL=false READLINE=false USRCXXFLAGS=-fPIC CFLAGS=-fPIC

After that all the requiered libraries are located in
ziboptsuite-2.0.1/scip-2.0.1/lib/

Do these libraries work with or tools?

Best Stefan

On 22 Jun., 11:55, Laurent Perron <lper...@google.com> wrote:
> hello,
>
> We have added scip support in the linear_solver wrappers of or-tools. For
> now, support is limited to mac os X and linux 32/64 bit. Windows support
> will come later.
> Please note that soplex and scip have special licenses and you should make
> sure you are allowed to use it. We believe scip is the best open source
> solver out there.
>
> Here are the needed steps to use it:
>   - First download soplex from soplex.zib.de (last version is 1.5.0) and
> untar it.
>   - If you are on linux, copy soplex.make.linux.x86.gnu.opt-pic or
> soplex.make.linux.x86_64.gnu.opt-pic
> fromhttp://code.google.com/p/or-tools/source/browse/#svn%2Fresources

Laurent Perron

Jun 24, 2011, 5:10:38 AM6/24/11
to or-tools...@googlegroups.com
Yes,

This works.

Uncompress, compile using

Thus, on linux:
make ZIMPL=false READLINE=false USRCXXFLAGS=-fPIC CFLAGS=-fPIC

on Mac OS X:
make ZIMPL=false READLINE=false

And set UNIX_SCIP_DIR=<correct path>/ziboptsuite-2.0.1/scip-2.0.1

Thanks

--Laurent Perron
FRANCE    Google France SARL
38, avenue de l'Opéra
75002 Paris
RCS Paris 443 061 841

Laurent Perron

Jun 24, 2011, 5:32:31 AM6/24/11
to or-tools...@googlegroups.com
As a consequence, only this method is supported.
In particular, do not use the make....opt-pic makefiles and use the method described in the previous message.

--Laurent