Opera on RISC OS

John Duffell

Jun 7, 2001, 7:20:28 AM6/7/01
I use RISC OS (previously developed by Acorn) and I was wondering if I
could submit a motion to port Opera to RISC OS.

Some useful URLs, for those who require more infromation: (in
approximate order of relevence)
http://www.riscos.com/ (OS deveolpers)
http://www.riscstation.co.uk/ Hardware manufacturers
http://www.castle.uk.co/ ditto (nb that's not a typo)
http://www.microdigital.co.uk/ ditto
http://dmoz.org/Computers/Systems/RISC_OS/ Huge directory of links
(similar to Yahoo, but better updated)
http://www.iconbar.com/ News portal
http://www.drobe.co.uk/ ditto
http://www.riscos.org/ ditto, plus links
http://www.riscos.net/ links
http://www.acornsearch.com/ Searching for specifically Acorn related
things

HTH
John

John Duffell

Jun 7, 2001, 7:40:17 AM6/7/01
John Duffell wrote:

[snip]

Oh, nearly forgot, Pace Micro Tech. ( http://www.pace.co.uk ) now own
RISC OS and they are rolling it out in their new Set Top Boxes; see the
Bush Internet.TV sold in Argos, Asda etc. for one example of RISC OS.

A cross compiler for C and C++ (GCC 2.95.2 IIRC) is available from
http://hard-mofo.dsvr.net/gcc/index.html under the name GCCSDK, as well
as two native compilers (2.95.2 pre releases) The cross compiler will
run on any OS in theory.

HTH
John

Ben Garbutt

Jun 7, 2001, 9:27:14 AM6/7/01
I'd love to see a quality browser ported to RISC OS.
so I'll second Mr Duffell's motion.

Ben

Geoff Youngs

Jun 7, 2001, 11:08:34 AM6/7/01
In message <3B1F8132...@arm.com>
Ben Garbutt <bgar...@arm.com> wrote:

> I'd love to see a quality browser ported to RISC OS. so I'll second Mr
> Duffell's motion.

Small, efficient, powerful - it would feel as though it had come home :)

I'd love to see it as well.

Yours,

Geoff.
--
Geoff Youngs, Technical Director
// solutions.web - Internet Consultants

Adam M Wilde

Jun 7, 2001, 11:52:07 AM6/7/01
In message <070620011608223079%spam...@vigay.com>
Paul Vigay <spam...@vigay.com> wrote:

> In article <3B1F637C...@york.ac.uk>, John Duffell

> <jwd...@york.ac.uk> wrote:
>
> > I use RISC OS (previously developed by Acorn) and I was wondering if I
> > could submit a motion to port Opera to RISC OS.
>

> I would like to second this. I think it's an excellent idea - and one
> that's well overdue.

I would like to second this also. It's about time it was ported to RISC
OS.

Adam
--
Adam M Wilde
RISC OS 4 StrongARM RiscPC User

Mike Gilbert

Jun 7, 2001, 12:26:56 PM6/7/01

"Adam M Wilde" <amw...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> In message <070620011608223079%spam...@vigay.com>
> Paul Vigay <spam...@vigay.com> wrote:
>
> > In article <3B1F637C...@york.ac.uk>, John Duffell
> > <jwd...@york.ac.uk> wrote:
> >
> > > I use RISC OS (previously developed by Acorn) and I was wondering if I
> > > could submit a motion to port Opera to RISC OS.
> >
> > I would like to second this. I think it's an excellent idea - and one
> > that's well overdue.
> >
> I would like to second this also. It's about time it was ported to RISC
> OS.

I'd tend to agree very strongly. We supply IT solutions to UK schools, and
there is still a large number of RISC OS workstations in daily use.
Customers are tending to try to use cross-platform applications wherever
possible, with sites generally having a mixture of Windows and RISC OS
systems, sometimes using MetaFrame on the latter to gain the former.

There are already quite a few applications, such as Textease
(http://www.textease.com), which deliver this level of interaction.

At the minute, we cannot give a common metaphor on the Web browser.
Availability of Opera for RISC OS would also gain market share on the
Windows side in this environment.

Should it be of use, we can supply educational contacts for proactive beta
tests from our reference site list.

Mike Gilbert
Education Sales Manager
TME (South West) Ltd
http://www.tme.co.uk

Francis Chin

Jun 7, 2001, 1:47:52 PM6/7/01
Ben Garbutt <bgar...@arm.com> wrote in message news:<3B1F8132...@arm.com>...

> I'd love to see a quality browser ported to RISC OS.
> so I'll second Mr Duffell's motion.

Given the few options currently available on RISC OS (one of the
better old ones by Acorn is sadly no longer developed), a browser that
has a relatively mainstream name like Opera will be very popular -
especially since the crowd is looking for a browser that can cope with
a wide range of websites and is continuously updated.

Regards,

Francis

Mark Quint

Jun 7, 2001, 1:41:05 PM6/7/01
> I'd tend to agree very strongly. We supply IT solutions to UK schools, and
> there is still a large number of RISC OS workstations in daily use.
> Customers are tending to try to use cross-platform applications wherever
> possible, with sites generally having a mixture of Windows and RISC OS
> systems, sometimes using MetaFrame on the latter to gain the former.
>
> There are already quite a few applications, such as Textease
> (http://www.textease.com), which deliver this level of interaction.
>
> At the minute, we cannot give a common metaphor on the Web browser.
> Availability of Opera for RISC OS would also gain market share on the
> Windows side in this environment.
>
> Should it be of use, we can supply educational contacts for proactive beta
> tests from our reference site list.

yup there's still a very large RiscOS user base, epecially the Pace user
base on
Set-top boxes.
Tis about time RiscOS had a nice, clean and shiny new Internet Browser, i
look forward to surfing with it ;)

---

Stefan Bellon

Jun 7, 2001, 2:30:22 PM6/7/01
Paul Vigay <spam...@vigay.com> wrote:
> In article <3B1F637C...@york.ac.uk>, John Duffell
> <jwd...@york.ac.uk> wrote:

> > I use RISC OS (previously developed by Acorn) and I was wondering
> > if I could submit a motion to port Opera to RISC OS.

> I would like to second this. I think it's an excellent idea - and one
> that's well overdue.

Me too. :-)

Greetings,

Stefan.

--
Stefan Bellon * <mailto:sbe...@sbellon.de> * <http://www.sbellon.de/>
PGP 2.6 and GnuPG (OpenPGP) keys available from my home page

Never get between a programmer and the coffee machine

Michael Barnes

Jun 7, 2001, 2:39:10 PM6/7/01
I would pay for this. I suspect many RO users would.

This also opens the door for quick and easy incorporation of Opera into the
next generation models of a number of home web appliances, which could really
help Opera undermine IE where it counts. Hmm, am I allowed to mention the
Solo?

I already use Opera on a PC and would love to synchronise across both
platforms.

--
One OS to fool them all, one OS to bind them,
One OS to bring them all, and with jargon blind them.

* http://www.mp3.com/stations/Vampires_of_MP3.com *

Douglas McKenzie

Jun 7, 2001, 2:54:31 PM6/7/01
Stefan Bellon <sbe...@sbellon.de> wrote in <4a8703a2...@sbellon.de>:

>Paul Vigay <spam...@vigay.com> wrote:
>> In article <3B1F637C...@york.ac.uk>, John Duffell
>> <jwd...@york.ac.uk> wrote:
>
>> > I use RISC OS (previously developed by Acorn) and I was wondering
>> > if I could submit a motion to port Opera to RISC OS.
>
>> I would like to second this. I think it's an excellent idea - and one
>> that's well overdue.
>
>Me too. :-)
>
>Greetings,
>
>Stefan.

Oh, OK then. Me too.

Doug

Stuart Halliday

Jun 7, 2001, 3:43:33 PM6/7/01
In message <3B1F8132...@arm.com>
Ben Garbutt <bgar...@arm.com> wrote:

> I'd love to see a quality browser ported to RISC OS.
> so I'll second Mr Duffell's motion.

I would too.

But it will have to lose that 'one window look' though to be RISC OS
compliant.

There are thousands of RISC OS users in Europe not to mention all the many
tens of thousands of students using the computers in British Schools and
Universities every day.

Plus with the backing of major companys like Pace which is developing RISC
OS in conjunction with ARM LTD for future home machines.
It can be safely said that RISC OS has a safe and solid future.

Certainly any programmer working on a project like Opera involving RISC OS
would be glad to have the project on their CV for future job references
judging by the rate in which ARM and its partners are signing up ARM code
programmers!

If you want to remain uptodate with current events my site gets over 5000
visitors a day.

--
Stuart Halliday
The Acorn Cybervillage

Sebastian Weinberg

Jun 7, 2001, 3:43:06 PM6/7/01

On Thu, 07 Jun 2001 12:20:28 +0100, John Duffell <jwd...@york.ac.uk> wrote:
> I use RISC OS (previously developed by Acorn) and I was wondering if I
> could submit a motion to port Opera to RISC OS.

A motion that I second wholeheartedly. Not only do I think that Opera would gain very
quick acceptance and usage within the RISC OS community, I feel (and have felt for
some time) that Opera *belongs* to an environment like RISC OS. It's already
incorporating everything that is so great about RISC OS - the size, the efficiency, the
amount of user control. When I use it, it feels like I'm using a RISC OS application
*already*.

That is, in fact, the reason why I use it exclusively whenever forced to work with IBM
compatibles. I'm using it right now to write this message. :)

The effort of porting Opera to RISC OS would be, I'm convinced, an effort well spent.
The community is yearning for a good browser that is neither years behind current
technology, nor costs an arm and a leg. Opera would probably become the standard
browser in no time, both in sponsored and paid mode.

Also, I believe that many of the users of RISC OS are not disposed to kindly towards
"industry giants" like Microsoft and Netscape and would cheerfully support a product
that is in direct competition with them - it's one of the reasons why we use Acorn
Computers and RISC OS in the first place. :)

Sebastian Weinberg
--
http://enterprise.mathematik.uni-essen.de/~bastian/

Foweraker

Jun 7, 2001, 4:11:26 PM6/7/01
In message <3B1F637C...@york.ac.uk>
John Duffell <jwd...@york.ac.uk> wrote:

Another vote of support, RISC OS is now being used as the operating
system by more manufactures on more models than it ever has. There is
a prospect for low energy consumption machines (less than 8 watts!) for
use in third world contries to avoid the need for a mains supply to
enable the use of IT.

RISCOS is noted for its compact apps (a many professionally featured
applications [WP,DTP,Vector&Bitmap,PIM etc] typically supplied on one or
two floppy discs, not CD, the OS in 4MB, many professional quality
freeware & shareware apps, the common place of being to talk to the
programmer and see suggestions implemented. This is a real case of the
OS which has Opera's ideals at heart!

Please seriously consider porting to this OS, you will get wide support
from both users and many independant programmers.

--
Mark Foweraker

Stephen Courtney

Jun 7, 2001, 4:32:14 PM6/7/01
Ben Garbutt <bgar...@arm.com> wrote in message news:<3B1F8132...@arm.com>...
> I'd love to see a quality browser ported to RISC OS.
> so I'll second Mr Duffell's motion.
>
> Ben

Ditto here, - at present, although there are two available browsers
under development for RISC OS, there is defintely room for quality
competition (not that I'm putting down the existing software mind).

Cheers,

Stephen

Vincent Lefevre

Jun 7, 2001, 4:31:49 PM6/7/01
In article <3B1F8132...@arm.com>,
Ben Garbutt <bgar...@arm.com> wrote:

> I'd love to see a quality browser ported to RISC OS.
> so I'll second Mr Duffell's motion.

Me too!

BTW, I already use Opera as my main browser on my Psion 5mx and on my
LinuxPPC machine.

--
Vincent Lefèvre <vin...@vinc17.org> - Web: <http://www.vinc17.org/> - 100%
validated HTML - Acorn Risc PC, Yellow Pig 17, Championnat International des

Owen Griffin

Jun 7, 2001, 5:37:02 PM6/7/01
Ben Garbutt <bgar...@arm.com> wrote in message news:<3B1F8132...@arm.com>...
> I'd love to see a quality browser ported to RISC OS.
> so I'll second Mr Duffell's motion.
So will I RISC OS is an excellant platform in need of a decent browser.

Stan Jelley

Jun 7, 2001, 6:26:50 PM6/7/01
Hear, hear; from the other side of the world, where RISC OS is alive and well.

Stewart Goldwater

Jun 7, 2001, 8:09:39 PM6/7/01
Ben Garbutt <bgar...@arm.com> wrote in message news:<3B1F8132...@arm.com>...
> I'd love to see a quality browser ported to RISC OS.
> so I'll second Mr Duffell's motion.
>
> Ben

As would I and, no doubt, many others.

--
Stewart Goldwater

Justin Fletcher

Jun 7, 2001, 8:37:03 PM6/7/01
In message <3B1F6821...@york.ac.uk>
John Duffell <jwd...@york.ac.uk> wrote:

As many of the members of this group would probably be unaware, let's just
set down a few fact about RISC OS.

* Sales of RISC OS 4, the most recent version of the operating system were
estimated at around 4000. This is the version of the operating system
sold with the desktop version of the OS.

* RISC OS is a compact modular operating system, based around a
co-operatively multi-tasking desktop.

* Large scale applications such as web browsers are expected, by users,
to run reasonably in 16M of memory (this is arguable, but a reasonable
value).

* IIRC, and I could be wrong, the Bush Internet TV being rolled out in the
UK at present have 8M of RAM, and 8M of ROM.

* Technically, applications run within a 28M application space and are
expected to store 'large' data blocks in private memory allocation areas
known as dynamic areas'

* RISC OS does not, natively, implement virtual memory or threading.

* Pre-emptive multi-tasking is possible, but only for a simple process
running with just IO redirected.

* RISC OS supports a BSD 4.4 internet stack.

* RISC OS internal font system is generally considered to be very good,
although the desktop system does not have support for unicode characters.

* Native graphics formats are supported for depths of 1, 2, 4, 8, 16 and
24bpp, but do not support alpha-channel.

I've tried to state some factual points about the OS itself. I hope that
these are helpful in understanding the OS itself. If there are questions,
I'm sure that the users posting here, or myself, will be able to answer
them.

--
Gerph {djf0-.3w6e2w2.226,6q6w2q2,2.3,2m4}
... Eyes to the heavens, screaming at the sky;

Simon Wilson

Jun 7, 2001, 8:48:47 PM6/7/01
> I use RISC OS (previously developed by Acorn) and I was wondering if I
> could submit a motion to port Opera to RISC OS.

RISC OS users such as myself would love a good browser to use - Opera would
be perfect to fill this role. Here's hoping you make that decision.

Simon Wilson

Marco Frissen

Jun 8, 2001, 1:38:48 AM6/8/01
Not only is it good that there is chance of (another) good browser for
RiscOS, it would make RiscOS itself more popular (or at least more
known).. the people going to download Opera, will see on their website
a platform 'RiscOS'.. maybe they'll get curious.
I'll be willing to put down cash for this.

Marco

Richard Coleman

Jun 8, 2001, 2:42:17 AM6/8/01
"Simon Wilson" <simon...@btconnect.com> wrote in message news:<9fp7ah$33t$1...@mail.opera.no>...

Absolutely, get's my vote.

Richard Coleman

--
Richard Coleman _|_
col...@argonet.co.uk |

ARMoniX

Jun 8, 2001, 3:38:51 AM6/8/01
I use Opera on my Psion Revo every days. I like it.
I need it on RISC OS !

Andrew Harmsworth

Jun 8, 2001, 3:42:57 AM6/8/01
If anyone at Opera HQ is looking for evidence that the RISC OS market
is taken seriously, perhaps surf on over to my bank, Nationwide, but
take a look at an entry page they have had made specifically to cope
with one of the leading RISC OS browsers (Fresco) which had trouble
with their previous internet banking.

http://www.nationwide.co.uk/webtv/default.htm

In fact, I only noticed this page (having emailed them a month or so
before complaining that they weren't providing support for Fresco
users - of which there are over 300,000 in web TVs running RISC OS)
when I surfed in, their site detected Fresco, and moved me to the
above page.

Opera for RISC OS would not only have the desktop market to serve. I
read with interest that Opera has signed an agreement with Psion. I
see no reason why Opera for RISC OS could not compete with ANT's
Fresco browser in the embedded market (www.ant.co.uk), or Oregan's "TV
Interactor" (www.oregan.net), ported to the desktop RISC OS as
Oregano. Whilst Fresco and Oregano are good browsers, I use Opera as
my browser of choice on my lab PC.

I commend the concept of a RISC OS port to you. This is an exciting
market with a solid future ahead of it.

Andrew Harmsworth, Cambridge, England.

tarlachmoorhouse

Jun 8, 2001, 4:15:10 AM6/8/01
col...@argonet.co.uk (Richard Coleman) wrote in message news:<22688663.0106...@posting.google.com>...

> "Simon Wilson" <simon...@btconnect.com> wrote in message news:<9fp7ah$33t$1...@mail.opera.no>...
> > > I use RISC OS (previously developed by Acorn) and I was wondering if I
> > > could submit a motion to port Opera to RISC OS.
> >
> > RISC OS users such as myself would love a good browser to use - Opera would
> > be perfect to fill this role. Here's hoping you make that decision.
> >
> > Simon Wilson
>
> Absolutely, get's my vote.
>
> Richard Coleman

Please add my vote for Opera on RISC OS

John Moorhouse

2 x RiscPC, 1 x A5000

Rich Goodwin

Jun 8, 2001, 4:32:17 AM6/8/01
John Duffell <jwd...@york.ac.uk> wrote in message news:<3B1F637C...@york.ac.uk>...

> I use RISC OS (previously developed by Acorn) and I was wondering if I
> could submit a motion to port Opera to RISC OS.

Well done John, this is exactly what we need on RISC OS. Let's hope
someone out there takes note!

Cheers,Rich.

Luke Graham

Jun 8, 2001, 5:37:17 AM6/8/01

> I use RISC OS (previously developed by Acorn) and I was wondering if I
> could submit a motion to port Opera to RISC OS.

I would also like to second this, as RISC OS is my preferred platform for
most things, but is still lacking in a truely powerful web browser.
I would also be happy to act as an alpha/beta tester if needed.

Alex Macfarlane Smith

Jun 8, 2001, 7:48:52 AM6/8/01
col...@argonet.co.uk (Richard Coleman) wrote in message news:<22688663.0106...@posting.google.com>...
> "Simon Wilson" <simon...@btconnect.com> wrote in message news:<9fp7ah$33t$1...@mail.opera.no>...
> > > I use RISC OS (previously developed by Acorn) and I was wondering if I
> > > could submit a motion to port Opera to RISC OS.
> >
> > RISC OS users such as myself would love a good browser to use - Opera would
> > be perfect to fill this role. Here's hoping you make that decision.
> >
> > Simon Wilson
>
> Absolutely, get's my vote.
>
> Richard Coleman

I'd love to see Opera on RISC OS as well.

Alex.

A.Jackson

Jun 8, 2001, 8:38:04 AM6/8/01
John Duffell wrote:

> I use RISC OS (previously developed by Acorn) and I was wondering if I
> could submit a motion to port Opera to RISC OS.

I would also like to add my voice to those suggesting a port to RISC OS.
I'd buy it, along with a few thousand others (I suspect), and if it can
open
up part of the embedded market to you, I think it would be worth your
while.

Andy J.

Andrew N. Jackson, EPCC.
url http://www.epcc.ed.ac.uk/~andrewj/
- Sona si Latine loqueris -

Henk Huinen

Jun 8, 2001, 9:59:49 AM6/8/01
This would be great! Opera on RiscOS.Exactly what we need: A browser
for RiscOS that can compete withMSE and Netscape.

Sebastian Weinberg

Jun 8, 2001, 10:55:13 AM6/8/01

On Fri, 08 Jun 2001 01:37:03 +0100, Justin Fletcher <justin....@ntlworld.com> wrote:

> As many of the members of this group would probably be unaware, let's just
> set down a few fact about RISC OS.

> * Technically, applications run within a 28M application space and are

> expected to store 'large' data blocks in private memory allocation areas
> known as dynamic areas'

It may be necessary to mention to non-RISC OS programmers that not all
applications are put together into the same 28M, but that each app has "its
own" application space, all mapped into the same logical address space at
runtime, and each able to grow up to 28M, depending on availability of real,
physical memory. The Dynamic Areas are not part of these 28 Megs, but lie
in their own adress space (the upper half of the 32-bit address space, IIRC).

Unlike the application memory, the Dynamic Areas are not mapped in and
out with the current application.

> * RISC OS internal font system is generally considered to be very good,
> although the desktop system does not have support for unicode characters.

Sadly. When I wrote !JIS-Read, I wanted to use a RISC OS bitmap font for the
Japanese characters, but apparently they cannot hold that many characters.
So I went with a !Zap font and ZapRedraw instead. :)

But that only proves a point: If something isn't part of the OS, chances are,
someone already wrote a workaround or extension module that offers the
functionality, usually as freeware. :)

> I've tried to state some factual points about the OS itself.

And he should know! :)

Robert Hartley

Jun 8, 2001, 11:12:44 AM6/8/01
Michael Barnes <lite...@litening.dircon.co.uk> wrote in message news:<7d704874a%lite...@litening.dircon.co.uk>...

> I would pay for this. I suspect many RO users would.

considering that I've paid for fresco and websterXL and some people
pay 50ukp for oregano then paying for opera would NOT be a problem.

I would definately pay. :-)

> This also opens the door for quick and easy incorporation of Opera into the
> next generation models of a number of home web appliances, which could really
> help Opera undermine IE where it counts. Hmm, am I allowed to mention the
> Solo?

I think this is a good example of possible expansion.

> I already use Opera on a PC and would love to synchronise across both
> platforms.

I don't use it on my mac but I'll give it a try.

cheers
Bob; Sunny Scotland

Hauke Wegner

Jun 8, 2001, 3:29:26 PM6/8/01
I would be pleased to see and hopefully use another Browser on Risc-OS,
too.

I have used Opera on the PC and yes it is fast, small and stable but
however i do not feel comfortable with it. For example this
window-in-a-window system with the Opera main application window an the
opened browser windows in it is something i can hardly arrange with.
Well this of course depends on the user. If Opera will be released for
Risc-OS i hope it will complain to the Style Guides.

Further more i think the e-mail, messaging and newsgroup clients should
not be integrated in Opera (or it may be installed optional) as it may
be to hard to handly for the smaller machines if all is included into
Opera. And if it is integrated it should be able to use the etablished
mail/news directories like !NewsDir

Well i better it stop now. It's just my opinion.

Sincerly Hauke
--
(You think my english is bad... Try to read my german..)

Rod Dennis

Jun 8, 2001, 4:53:58 PM6/8/01
col...@argonet.co.uk (Richard Coleman) wrote in message news:<22688663.0106...@posting.google.com>...

> > > I use RISC OS (previously developed by Acorn) and I was wondering if I
> > > could submit a motion to port Opera to RISC OS.

In a world where people are starting to have a real choice of which
Operating System to use (ie realising viable alternatives to MS
Windows), RISC OS is well-placed to expand and develop in a way that
has only recently been realised.

The platform is used widely by business, schools, as well as home
users; with announcements from at least two RISC OS hardware
developers that they are to begin production of RISC OS-based computer
systems around the world, the Internet is obviously is a crucial tool
in developing the Operating System.

The porting of the Opera web browser to RISC OS would therefore prove
to be a good development - both for RISC OS, and for getting the Opera
browser known to a wider span of people - including the DigitalTV
market which will prove increasingly influential in the UK at least.

I would personally like to therefore support this plan unequivocally,
and ask the staff at Opera to consider the proposal and its merits
wisely. I hope that the right decision is made!

Best regards,
Rod Dennis

Some people call me... Tim

Jun 8, 2001, 4:49:14 PM6/8/01
On Fri, 08 Jun 2001 21:29:26 +0200, Hauke Wegner <hwe...@2a1p.de>
wrote:

>Further more i think the e-mail, messaging and newsgroup clients should
>not be integrated in Opera (or it may be installed optional) as it may
>be to hard to handly for the smaller machines if all is included into
>Opera. And if it is integrated it should be able to use the etablished
>mail/news directories like !NewsDir

They are optional. You can remove the Omail32.dll from your
Opera directory to get rid of the email module. The IM and News
modules are currently integrated into the EXE, but this will probably
change for the News client once it receives the major overhaul its due
for. Opera 5.1x also allows you to remove the menu options you don't
want. See <url:http://www.myopera.com/~rijk/docs/remove_clients.html>
for more information.

--
Tim

roy...@myrealSP-AMbox.com
No SP-AM is good spam.

Jess Hampshire

Jun 8, 2001, 7:27:27 PM6/8/01
In message <Xns90B9CA3ADdgmc...@195.8.69.72>
d...@c-i-m-b-r-a-e.freeserve.co.uk (Douglas McKenzie) wrote:

> Stefan Bellon <sbe...@sbellon.de> wrote in <4a8703a2...@sbellon.de>:
>
> >Paul Vigay <spam...@vigay.com> wrote:

> >> I would like to second this. I think it's an excellent idea - and one
> >> that's well overdue.
> >
> >Me too. :-)
> >
> >Greetings,
> >
> >Stefan.
> >

> Oh, OK then. Me too.
>
> Doug

me too, too.
--
Jess

icq 91353267 http://www.kentwebnet.org Using RISC OS 4

Jess Hampshire

Jun 8, 2001, 7:38:58 PM6/8/01
In message <3B20C72B...@fling.flam>
"A.Jackson" <andr...@fling.flam> wrote:

> John Duffell wrote:
>
> > I use RISC OS (previously developed by Acorn) and I was wondering if I
> > could submit a motion to port Opera to RISC OS.
>
> I would also like to add my voice to those suggesting a port to RISC OS.
> I'd buy it, along with a few thousand others (I suspect), and if it can
> open
> up part of the embedded market to you, I think it would be worth your
> while.

There is also the Solo from explan

http://www.explan.co.uk/hardware/solo.shtml

Given the target market - opera would be a very good addition.

Michael Gerbracht

Jun 9, 2001, 2:37:14 AM6/9/01
crea...@beeldwerk.demon.nl (Henk Huinen) wrote in message news:<761121ed.01060...@posting.google.com>...

> This would be great! Opera on RiscOS.Exactly what we need: A browser
> for RiscOS that can compete withMSE and Netscape.

Yes, I would like to be able to use Opera on RISC OS although I already use Oregano.

Michael Gerbracht

Brian Ferris

Jun 9, 2001, 8:13:29 AM6/9/01
I would also love to see this browser ported to our platform. Brian

Theo Markettos

Jun 9, 2001, 5:27:16 PM6/9/01
Robert Hartley <r...@mblab.gla.ac.uk> wrote:
> considering that I've paid for fresco and websterXL and some people
> pay 50ukp for oregano then paying for opera would NOT be a problem.
>
> I would definately pay. :-)

<aol>Me too!</aol>
Theo

Paul Biggs

Jun 9, 2001, 6:57:27 PM6/9/01
brian...@waitrose.com (Brian Ferris) wrote in message news:<28ce3148.01060...@posting.google.com>...

> I would also love to see this browser ported to our platform. Brian

Oh yes, if this is released I will upgrade my Risc PC and bin at least one of my PCs :-)

Paul

Dave Dunn

Jun 10, 2001, 6:09:10 AM6/10/01
Opera would make a splendid addition to the current range of browsers
on RISC OS. Despite the current progress to bring Webster XL and
Oregano up to pc standards, the RISC OS market appears eager to
take exisitng efficient pc originated browsers on board and the
market for replacements to Fresco (as used on many thousands of
set top boxes) cannot be ignored. Sooner or later Fresco will be
dumped in favour of better performance and Opera (if ported) seems
very well placed to replace it.

Richard

Jun 10, 2001, 6:47:44 AM6/10/01
My establishment would make an excellent test bed for a RISC OS
version. We are upgrading to over 100 thin-client NCs.

We would certainly be able to test out its proxying facilities and, I
would suspect, the majority of its features. e.g. Javascript, Java,
etc.

Richard

Ryan Hitch

Jun 10, 2001, 4:02:42 PM6/10/01
Dear All,
Here's my 2p worth.

As a daily user of RiscOS I would very much like to see Opera ported to
the platform. I've used Opera in the past on my Psion5MX (And will
again once I remember to register it - ie. in a couple days!). And I
think it would be a useful addition to Opera's current repatoire of
platforms (OK, probably more money to made in the STB side of the OS,
but a few hundred thousand (potential) desktop users surely would hurt
the companies takings either). The browsers philosphies (speed,
efficiency, size) are well suited to RiscOS (Apologies to purists for
the the lack of capitalisation :-).

And since I've very recently paid out for Oregano, I think this is a
good sign that the browser will make it to the market (Oh yes, Betamax
man strikes again!!) :-)

On a final note, although I do not have the skills to aid with porting
the software, I would be only too happy to assist in any other way
(manual writing, beta testing, interface advice etc).

Yours Sincerely,
Ryan

--
'Cos I'm holding on to what I've got today, and maybe you'll forget to walk away.
Wilt (Open Arms)

Roy Johnson

Jun 10, 2001, 5:27:44 PM6/10/01
I agree that a port of Opera to Riscos would be desirable, currently
the lack of a definitive browser for the platform is holding us back
from accessing all the latest features of the internet. Based on the
number of postings here and that users are currenly willing to pay
over £50 for a browser without cache and limited features then an
Opera port would be great.Roy

Derek.Moody

Jun 11, 2001, 9:04:39 AM6/11/01
In article <e9a33915.0106...@posting.google.com>, Michael Gerbracht
<URL:mailto:m.ger...@cityweb.de> wrote:
> crea...@beeldwerk.demon.nl (Henk Huinen) wrote in message news:<761121ed.0106080559.7
> fb3...@posting.google.com>...

> > This would be great! Opera on RiscOS.Exactly what we need: A browser
> > for RiscOS that can compete withMSE and Netscape.
>
> Yes, I would like to be able to use Opera on RISC OS although I already use Oregano.

Some of us already use Opera on RISC OS machines - in Windows partitions on
the x86 card. It's not the best way to set up your main browser so this is
really just a testing platform and I have versions of Opera on three
different drive-c's each with a different version of Windows - along with a
slew of other browsers.

I fancy the all-singing all-dancing everything internet in one package
route is the wrong way to go though. Keeping the www function seperable
from other net apps makes for a more flexible net experience. I suppose
it's OK to offer the bundle to those who prefer a simple life. I think
you'd find the RISC OS users would only really be interested in a browser
in any case.

If Opera were ported to RISC OS then I would be a customer - though I
suppose I'd still have to waste most of my HD on test partitions :-(

Cheerio,

--
>> derek...@clara.net

Opera

Jun 12, 2001, 4:53:15 AM6/12/01
> I use RISC OS (previously developed by Acorn) and I was wondering if I
> could submit a motion to port Opera to RISC OS.

<snip>

hear hear! I currently use Opera as my default browser on my PC at work, and
would love to have the option of using it at home on my RISC PC too.

I would certainly buy it if it came out for RISC OS.

Richard Cheng

Eli-Jean R. Leyssens

Jun 12, 2001, 11:53:36 AM6/12/01
John Duffell <jwd...@york.ac.uk> wrote:
> I use RISC OS (previously developed by Acorn) and I was wondering if I
> could submit a motion to port Opera to RISC OS.

Motion seconded, or erhm, 50th or whatever :)

<aol mode>Me too!</aol mode>

Eli-Jean Leyssens

Richard Connett

Jun 12, 2001, 4:52:54 PM6/12/01
"Eli-Jean R. Leyssens" <e...@dnd.utwente.nl> wrote in message news:<9g5du0$i1s$1...@mail.opera.no>...

Yes please, like others I use Opera at work and it would be great to
be able to use a decent browser on my RISC OS machine.

Richard Connett

Jeremy Coates

Jun 12, 2001, 8:25:53 PM6/12/01
In message <3B1F637C...@york.ac.uk>
John Duffell <jwd...@york.ac.uk> wrote:

> I use RISC OS (previously developed by Acorn) and I was wondering if I
> could submit a motion to port Opera to RISC OS.

As a full time internet developer I use RISC OS as my preferred platform for
development mainly because the user interface allows faster development and
increased productivity.

Currently I test on RISC OS first: Oregano, WebsterXL and Fresco and then
move to the PC and Linux browsers for final testing. It would be excellent if
Opera were available on RISC OS as it would nearly eliminate several platform
specific elements of the development process as rendering / layout /
interface would be the same / similar across more platforms.

I would love to see a fast and compact, feature rich browser, such as Opera,
available for RISC OS as this would further improve the already fast
development cycle - where do I send the cheque?

Regards,
Jeremy Coates

--
Co-Comp Ltd, PO Box 199, Preston. UK PR1 9SS
Turn-Key Internet, Computing and Business Solutions.

S Williams

Jun 13, 2001, 8:20:33 AM6/13/01
Jeremy Coates <li...@co-comp.co.uk> wrote in message news:<eb5cb7894...@co-comp.co.uk>...

> In message <3B1F637C...@york.ac.uk>
> John Duffell <jwd...@york.ac.uk> wrote:
>
> > I use RISC OS (previously developed by Acorn) and I was wondering if I
> > could submit a motion to port Opera to RISC OS.
I would also be interested in Opera for RISC OS, having used it a
little under NT4 an been impressed with its speed compared to MSIE and
Netscape. However in my case there are two provisos;
1) That it provides better access to websites, such as secure home
banking sites than !Oregano currently does (or the update as and when
it is released).

2) If it were to use nested windows (unlikely ?) under RISC OS then I
would almost certainly not buy it (unless point 1 was satisfied). I
would be using Opera on the PC card now but for that (if there is a
way of making it not-nest windows then I'd be glad to hear it).

I think that the arguments put forward relating to the increasing use
of RISC OS in internet appliances and the advantage of offering OEM's
more choice in RISC OS web browsers should be given consideration. The
potential market for such devices is much larger than the current
desktop RISC OS market.

In the desktop market there are a lot of users experienced in using
all sorts of browsers, which could be useful for beta testing and bug
reporting. We are also used to paying for web browsers in this market.

Cheers
Stan

Stuart Halliday

Jun 13, 2001, 11:18:33 AM6/13/01
It's not going to happen.

Opera.com say they want over 2 million users of RISC OS first.

And by that they of course mean personal owners, not students using their
schools computer.

Seemingly they want to make money on it.

Strange ideas people in Norway have. ;-)

--
Stuart Halliday
The Acorn Cybervillage
http://acorn.cybervillage.co.uk/
ftp://ftp.cybervillage.co.uk/pub/acorn/
Remove 'takeoutthisbit' to replace to my mail.

Ryan Hitch

Jun 13, 2001, 6:24:25 PM6/13/01
In message <9216098a...@cybervillage.takeoutthisbit.co.uk.invalid>
Stuart Halliday <stu...@stuarthalliday.takeoutthisbit.com.invalid> wrote:

> It's not going to happen.
>
> Opera.com say they want over 2 million users of RISC OS first.
>
> And by that they of course mean personal owners, not students using their
> schools computer.
>
> Seemingly they want to make money on it.
>
> Strange ideas people in Norway have. ;-)

Wasn't one of Opera's early conversions to BeOS? I'm sure that has
(relatively) few users worldwide.

Still there's always the Windows platform, a lot more than 2 million
users, although I assume a very small percentage of Opera users :-)

And there's always that thread about the washing machine, surely a good
washing machine might soon gain enough users, I'm going to upgrade from
the washboard :-)

Yours (semi) sincerely,
Ryan :-)

Marco Frissen

Jun 14, 2001, 8:53:31 AM6/14/01
Stuart Halliday <stu...@stuarthalliday.takeoutthisbit.com.invalid> wrote in message news:<9216098a...@cybervillage.takeoutthisbit.co.uk.invalid>...

> It's not going to happen.
>
> Opera.com say they want over 2 million users of RISC OS first.

Weird, they have a (bad) version for BeOS, and the number of users for
that platform is diminishing quickly, thanks to Be, Inc. The BeIA
devices have Opera too, but I think Be is working on that
themselves.... Anyway, BeOS has about 100.000 users I think.. RiscOS
about the same, I think.
But if Opera was ported to RiscOS, it could become available for
settops running RiscOS, which is a far higher number. and in contrast
with BeIA, settops running RiscOS is not vapourware.

Some people call me... Tim

Jun 14, 2001, 9:04:48 AM6/14/01
On Wed, 13 Jun 2001 16:18:33 +0100, Stuart Halliday
<stu...@stuarthalliday.takeoutthisbit.com.invalid> wrote:

>Opera.com say they want over 2 million users of RISC OS first.

Where does this information come from?

Derek.Moody

Jun 14, 2001, 5:59:55 PM6/14/01
In article <140620011351143720%spam...@vigay.com>, Paul Vigay
<URL:mailto:spam...@vigay.com> wrote:
> In article
> <9216098a...@cybervillage.takeoutthisbit.co.uk.invalid>, Stuart
> Halliday <stu...@stuarthalliday.takeoutthisbit.com.invalid> wrote:

> > Opera.com say they want over 2 million users of RISC OS first.
>

> Does that mean that there are over 2 million users of BeOS, OS/2 and
> EPOC then? Seems unlikely to me!
>
> Are you sure this isn't a weak excuse to avoid porting it for some
> reason??

Well it -could- be bitter experience?

Mind you with all the STBs and things appearing the numbers using RISC OS
derivatives must be rising sharply - certainly enough for Ant to be bouyant
about Fresco which has a stranglehold on that market atm.

Cheerio,

--
>> derek...@clara.net

Stuart Halliday

Jun 15, 2001, 7:25:55 PM6/15/01
In message <b0a8d57d.01061...@posting.google.com>
david....@bemail.org (Marco Frissen) wrote:

> Stuart Halliday <stu...@stuarthalliday.takeoutthisbit.com.invalid> wrote
in message news:<9216098a...@cybervillage.takeoutthisbit.co.uk.
invalid>...
> > It's not going to happen.
> >
> > Opera.com say they want over 2 million users of RISC OS first.
> >

> Weird, they have a (bad) version for BeOS, and the number of users for
> that platform is diminishing quickly, thanks to Be, Inc. The BeIA
> devices have Opera too, but I think Be is working on that
> themselves.... Anyway, BeOS has about 100.000 users I think.. RiscOS
> about the same, I think.

Probably BeOs paid them to port it?

> But if Opera was ported to RiscOS, it could become available for
> settops running RiscOS, which is a far higher number. and in contrast
> with BeIA, settops running RiscOS is not vapourware.

Exactly. But with Opera.com knowing 0% about RISC OS and its historical
involvement in ARM LTD and Pace, this fact has probably completely escaped
them.
ANT have got the market to themselves....

Many a developer for RISC OS has used this OS as a stepping stone to that
holy grail - software for embedded devices. Your software becomes used by
millions of users and I'm not talking about computer users.

There is a LOT of money to be made making a browser for the ARM platform,
the ANTs new NCfresco I believe is still relatively primitive compared with
IE.

With most people never having heard of RISC OS they seem to, in my
experience, think it must be useless or something, even though they've
never seen it.

I guess the alternative thought that it might, just might be better than
what they're using is not smoething they want to think about.

I'm a Microsoft cert. engineer and I find RISC OS is just so much better at
getting the task done. I'm constantly amazed, I really am, that it's not
more widely known.

Stuart Halliday

Jun 15, 2001, 7:27:27 PM6/15/01
In message <140620011351143720%spam...@vigay.com>
Paul Vigay <spam...@vigay.com> wrote:

> In article
> <9216098a...@cybervillage.takeoutthisbit.co.uk.invalid>, Stuart
> Halliday <stu...@stuarthalliday.takeoutthisbit.com.invalid> wrote:
>

> > It's not going to happen.
> >
> > Opera.com say they want over 2 million users of RISC OS first.
>

> Does that mean that there are over 2 million users of BeOS, OS/2 and
> EPOC then? Seems unlikely to me!

The worlds a big place. Perhaps there is 2 million users of each of these
platforms. I don't know.

> Are you sure this isn't a weak excuse to avoid porting it for some
> reason??

Probably they're now use to getting paid to do the porting?

I don't know. :-)

Stuart Halliday

Jun 15, 2001, 7:26:42 PM6/15/01
[Posted and mailed]

[Posted and mailed]

In message <5jdhitgaf4rlpafqd...@4ax.com>

Some people call me... Tim <add...@in.sig> wrote:

> On Wed, 13 Jun 2001 16:18:33 +0100, Stuart Halliday
> <stu...@stuarthalliday.takeoutthisbit.com.invalid> wrote:
>
> >Opera.com say they want over 2 million users of RISC OS first.
>
> Where does this information come from?

I got an email from:
Pal A. Hvistendahl <p...@opera.com>, their Communications Manager.

>> err. You did not answer this question. Could you please?

Solid= a couple of million users. So we can make some money too:-)

Richard Morton

Jun 16, 2001, 1:19:10 PM6/16/01
And I would back that too. If a version were written to run on the Pace version of RiscOS the user base could be enourmous. The phylosophy of Opera seems to have a great deal in common with that of RiscOS so PLEASE go
for that conversion.
On Thu, 07 Jun 2001 14:27:14 +0100, Ben Garbutt <bgar...@arm.com> wrote:
> I'd love to see a quality browser ported to RISC OS.
> so I'll second Mr Duffell's motion.
>
> Ben

Nick Kaijaks

Jun 29, 2001, 4:17:27 AM6/29/01
On Thu, 07 Jun 2001 12:20:28 +0100, John Duffell <jwd...@york.ac.uk> wrote:
> I use RISC OS (previously developed by Acorn) and I was wondering if I
> could submit a motion to port Opera to RISC OS.

Judging by some later posts in the thread, this follow-up may be an entirely pointless exercise.

However, I too would support a port to RISC OS.

Nick

--
Dr Nick Kaijaks, Pinxit Design - Information Design for Internet and print
http://www.kaijaks.co.uk/

Peter Bell

Jun 29, 2001, 12:33:22 PM6/29/01
In message <1103_993802647@TREVOR>
Nick Kaijaks <Nick.K...@warwick.ac.uk> wrote:

> On Thu, 07 Jun 2001 12:20:28 +0100, John Duffell <jwd...@york.ac.uk> wrote:
> > I use RISC OS (previously developed by Acorn) and I was wondering if I
> > could submit a motion to port Opera to RISC OS.
>
> Judging by some later posts in the thread, this follow-up may be an
> entirely pointless exercise.
>
> However, I too would support a port to RISC OS.

Same here. I already use Opera on my netBook and, whilst it is pretty
good, it seems to be slower than I would like and still has
compatibility problems on many sites - eg Nationwide e-banking.

What the Opera decision makers may not have taken into account is that
they could expect a very much greater penetration into the RISC OS
user base than they will ever achieve with Windows or most other
platforms.

--
Peter Bell - pe...@bellfamily.org.uk

Jan Klose

Jun 30, 2001, 6:44:45 AM6/30/01
> What the Opera decision makers may not have taken into account is that
> they could expect a very much greater penetration into the RISC OS
> user base than they will ever achieve with Windows or most other
> platforms.

As a software development company for RISC OS, we would love to see
our favourite browser ported to our favourite platform!

Jan Klose
Artex Software

Barrie McElroy

Jul 12, 2001, 3:33:27 AM7/12/01

Absolutely. It is significantly better than the current RISC OS browsers though they seem to be improving.

Opera still has some way to go, but is now often better at things Netscape. It is slim & quick. It seems odd that its use of
Java did not render the IBM Wimbledon applets when Netscape did. However it is my constant companion when
forced to use Windows!

Barrie McElroy <bar...@mcelroy.com.au>

John Smith

Jul 23, 2001, 7:37:36 PM7/23/01
I've just heard the rumour that Opera could possibly be ported to RISC OS.
Yes please! It's something the Acorn community are crying out for!

John

"Barrie McElroy" <bar...@mcelroy.com.au> wrote in message

Haavard K. Moen

Jul 24, 2001, 10:22:58 AM7/24/01
On Tue, 24 Jul 2001 00:37:36 +0100, "John Smith" <jo...@roundel.net>
wrote:

> I've just heard the rumour that Opera could possibly be ported to RISC OS.

There are no plans at the moment, sorry.

--
Best regards,
Håvard K. Moen

Paul Vigay

Jul 31, 2001, 6:33:04 AM7/31/01
In article <061rlt8au404mluia...@4ax.com>, Haavard K.
Moen <hkm...@opera.invalid> wrote:

> On Tue, 24 Jul 2001 00:37:36 +0100, "John Smith" <jo...@roundel.net>
> wrote:
>
> > I've just heard the rumour that Opera could possibly be ported to RISC OS.
>
> There are no plans at the moment, sorry.

Any reason why there are no plans?? I'd have thought that Opera fitted
in very well with the RISC OS philosophy (or vice versa) which was
small, compact and efficient applications.

Haavard K. Moen

Jul 31, 2001, 10:56:31 AM7/31/01
On Tue, 31 Jul 2001 11:33:04 +0100, Paul Vigay <spam...@vigay.com>
wrote:

> Any reason why there are no plans??

That's just the way it is. No one's thought about it or perhaps it
wasn't considered to be possible because of funds and similar.

Paul Vigay

Jul 31, 2001, 11:00:57 AM7/31/01
In article <9khdmtkkvtcg6johd...@4ax.com>, Haavard K.
Moen <hkm...@opera.invalid> wrote:

> On Tue, 31 Jul 2001 11:33:04 +0100, Paul Vigay <spam...@vigay.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Any reason why there are no plans??
>
> That's just the way it is. No one's thought about it or perhaps it
> wasn't considered to be possible because of funds and similar.

Who actually does the various different versions? Is development done
in house, or is it sub-contracted to various developers on the target
platform?

I ask, because I'm sure there would be willing programmers within the
RISC OS world who would help with the port.

Paul Boddie

Aug 13, 2001, 11:10:54 AM8/13/01
Paul Vigay <spam...@vigay.com> wrote in message news:<310720011133047791%spam...@vigay.com>...

> Any reason why there are no plans?? I'd have thought that Opera fitted
> in very well with the RISC OS philosophy (or vice versa) which was
> small, compact and efficient applications.

I would think that Justin Fletcher gave about five technical reasons
and at least one economic reason to prevent serious consideration of a
port of the Opera browser to RISC OS.

First, let's deal with the economic reason: if only 4000 people were
interested enough to buy RISC OS 4 then, for a number of reasons, it
seems fair to conclude that the market for the Opera browser certainly
cannot be much higher.

We could debate the significance of this figure at length, considering
factors such as the perceived utility of RISC OS 4, compatibility
issues with RISC OS 4, and the inclination of users to continue to
maintain their investment in RISC OS. However, this figure is perhaps
the only meaningful data of recent times that can be used to assess
the market potential for new applications. Moreover, should RISC OS 4
prove to be the only suitable (minimal) operating system configuration
for the Opera browser to work with, then we can already see a ceiling
on the number of units sold unless thousands of RISC OS users see it
as a compelling reason to upgrade.

As for the various technical reasons, it has been discovered
repeatedly over the past decade that RISC OS is perhaps too different
architecturally from other, more popular operating systems for
promising software packages and toolkits to be ported. Even where
mainstream toolkits have been ported to operating systems with similar
architectural restrictions (for example, the Tk toolkit to Mac OS),
the inclination to port such toolkits to RISC OS has been absent; this
may be due to cultural issues with the RISC OS community, however.

Finally, the set-top box market has been mentioned repeatedly by some
contributors. However, I doubt whether the adoption of RISC OS and
ANT's Fresco browser, by certain manufacturers of consumer electronics
equipment in their current generation of products, need necessarily
have any influence on whether the Opera browser would be lucrative if
ported to RISC OS. Here are some reasons for this:

* Certain vendors are still dominant in the real-time and embedded
operating system market. None of these vendors include the one
supplying RISC OS.

* Embedded Linux is gaining mindshare and market share. The Opera
browser exists for Linux and presumably scales down if Qt/Embedded
is employed. Interestingly, I heard that someone ported Konqueror
to Qt/Embedded - sorry to mention that here! ;-)

* The Opera browser already exists for various embedded/mobile
platforms.

* It is unlikely that RISC OS is such a worthy embedded platform
(especially given the competition - see above) that consumer
electronics equipment manufacturers would choose RISC OS first
and foremost on which to base their products, and then go shopping
around for a Web browser. Even ANT (http://www.ant.co.uk) seem to
emphasise platform independence.

* It is debatable that manufacturers using RISC OS in the current
generation of products would even continue to do so in subsequent
generations.

I hate to rain on anyone's parade, and this message certainly is not
intended to dissuade anyone from porting any product to RISC OS, but
the presence of storm clouds overhead should not be trivialised by
people pointing out the silver lining those clouds supposedly have.
;-)

Regards,

Paul

P.S. And I didn't even get round to responding to Mr Vigay's second
sentence... ;-)