In Opera 8.01 Build 7624, it seems commas and apostrophes appear strangely

1 view

steve h.

Jun 19, 2005, 1:53:22 PM6/19/05
I have tried tweaking all my settings and I am viewing the pages as MSIE
6.0. What's wrong ? TIA.

Eik

Jun 19, 2005, 2:08:04 PM6/19/05
On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 18:53:22 +0100, steve h. <shedric...@cfl.rr.com>
wrote:

> I have tried tweaking all my settings and I am viewing the pages as MSIE
> 6.0. What's wrong ? TIA.

Are you looking at a frameset? I noticed that if you load a page with
frames, change the zoom level, then reset back to 100% then many non A-Z
characters get misplaced to the left.

Maybe you've found a way Opera does this without Frames or zooming?

This didn't happen in 8.00

--
Using Opera's revolutionary Email client: http://www.opera.com/mail/

steve

Jun 19, 2005, 7:31:10 PM6/19/05
Eik wrote:
> On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 18:53:22 +0100, steve h.
> <shedric...@cfl.rr.com> wrote:
>
>> I have tried tweaking all my settings and I am viewing the pages as
>> MSIE 6.0. What's wrong ? TIA.
>

> Are you looking at a frameset? I noticed that if you load a page with
> frames, change the zoom level, then reset back to 100% then many non
> A-Z characters get misplaced to the left.
>
> Maybe you've found a way Opera does this without Frames or zooming?
>
> This didn't happen in 8.00

no, I have problems with commas and apostrophes no matter what I do. It
happens in regular pages.

Mark V

Jun 20, 2005, 2:50:21 AM6/20/05
In opera.tech steve h. wrote:

> I have tried tweaking all my settings and I am viewing the pages
> as MSIE 6.0. What's wrong ? TIA.

Example URLs?
Other details such as Fonts, User CSS, Zoom, "Fit", etc. there?

--
(Opera Win32 8.01 7642 (registered); W2K, SP4; ADSL; Sun JRE 1.4.2_
08)

Steven V. Gunhouse

Jun 20, 2005, 7:38:06 AM6/20/05
On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 19:31:10 -0400, steve <shedrick...@cfl.rr.com>
wrote:

What fonts are you using?

Eik

Jun 20, 2005, 9:13:06 AM6/20/05
On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 19:08:04 +0100, Eik <sp...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Are you looking at a frameset? I noticed that if you load a page with
> frames, change the zoom level, then reset back to 100% then many non A-Z
> characters get misplaced to the left.

I missed a bit. You also have to go into full screen mode before you can
see the changes. Here's a random frameset found on Google:

http://www.gangway.net/magazine/

Now:

- Load the page.
- Go into full screen mode (F11).
- Raise the zoom level to 110% ('0' key).
- Reset the zoom ('6' key).

Look carefully and some characters are now misplaced. (e.g., the space in
'Copyright 1996', the trademark symbol.)

It seems different pages are affected in different ways. I'm not sure if
it's down to the font size/family but try this URL and repeat the above
steps but zoom to 130% instead:

http://www.up.ac.za/academic/iti/

Matthew Winn

Jun 22, 2005, 9:50:51 AM6/22/05
On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 15:36:22 +0200, Nisse Engström <Pvovot...@tele2.se> wrote:
> Here's a bit of curiosity I came across this some
> time ago:
>
> Full window, 168kB:
> <http://home.swipnet.se/sigsegv/opera/bugs/zoom-wobbly_text.png>
> Detail: 9kB:
> <http://home.swipnet.se/sigsegv/opera/bugs/zoom-wobbly_text-detail.png>
>
> The left tenth of /some/ of the lines in the bulk text
> is slightly lower than the right, or perhaps the right
> is slightly higher than the left. Notice, for instance,
> the words "fathom" and "should" in the third paragraph,
> "conclusions", "amounts" and "to" in the fourth, and
> "bought" and "Mafia" in the fifth paragraph.

I've seen similar things when zooming and scrolling. I believe
it usually happens when different parts of the page are drawn at
different times (as can occur with overlapping pages, for example).

--
Matthew Winn
[If replying by email remove the "r" from "urk"]

Nisse Engström

Jun 22, 2005, 9:36:22 AM6/22/05
On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 14:13:06 +0100,
Eik<sp...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 19:08:04 +0100, Eik <sp...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Are you looking at a frameset? I noticed that if you load a page with
> > frames, change the zoom level, then reset back to 100% then many non A-Z
> > characters get misplaced to the left.
>
> I missed a bit. You also have to go into full screen mode before you can
> see the changes. Here's a random frameset found on Google:
>
> http://www.gangway.net/magazine/
>
> Now:
>
> - Load the page.
> - Go into full screen mode (F11).
> - Raise the zoom level to 110% ('0' key).
> - Reset the zoom ('6' key).
>
> Look carefully and some characters are now misplaced. (e.g., the space in
> 'Copyright 1996', the trademark symbol.)

Confirmed. The <sup>TM</sup> text and commas and periods are
misplaced at various zoom levels (without any full screening).
For instance, the "gangway.net" part sometimes look like
"gangway .net", and sometimes like "gangwaynet". If I were
to hazard a guess, without having performed any kind of
research on this page, I'd say that markup like the following
might have something to do with it:

> It seems different pages are affected in different ways. I'm not sure if
> it's down to the font size/family but try this URL and repeat the above
> steps but zoom to 130% instead:
>
> http://www.up.ac.za/academic/iti/

More punctuation in disarray, and another infestation

- - -

Here's a bit of curiosity I came across this some
time ago:

The left tenth of /some/ of the lines in the bulk text
is slightly lower than the right, or perhaps the right
is slightly higher than the left. Notice, for instance,
the words "fathom" and "should" in the third paragraph,
"conclusions", "amounts" and "to" in the fourth, and
"bought" and "Mafia" in the fifth paragraph.

I don't have any details written down, but it happened
after zooming the page, and the Info Panel and Window
title indicates an Opera 8.00 beta version. (The image
was created 2005-01-28).

I've never spotted anything like it since.

--n

Nisse Engström

Jun 23, 2005, 12:12:51 AM6/23/05
On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 13:50:51 +0000 (UTC),
Matthew Winn<o*@matthewwinn.me.urk> wrote:

> I've seen similar things when zooming and scrolling. I believe
> it usually happens when different parts of the page are drawn at
> different times (as can occur with overlapping pages, for example).

That would've been overlapping windows in my case.
I rarely, if ever, have overlapping pages.

And sure enough, I managed to create a *beautifully*
garbled result by "mouse-wheeling" a web page up and
down while it was partially obscured by another window.
The scrolling caused an absolutely positioned element
to appear as a hover effect, which probably contributed
to the mess.

<http://home.swipnet.se/sigsegv/opera/bugs/background-scroll-hover-detail.png>

--n

Nisse Engström

Jun 24, 2005, 11:49:36 AM6/24/05
On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 06:12:51 +0200,
Nisse Engström<Pvovot...@tele2.se> wrote:

> And sure enough, I managed to create a *beautifully*
> garbled result by "mouse-wheeling" a web page up and
> down while it was partially obscured by another window.
> The scrolling caused an absolutely positioned element
> to appear as a hover effect, which probably contributed
> to the mess.

And it seems I'm able to crash Opera pretty reliably
too.

I've got three "exception C0000005 at address 67B4B7F4"
and one "exception C000001D at address 00000017" (What's
that? I don't think I've seen one of those before).

- - -

I've got one of these idiotic mice with a ridiculous button
instead of a wheel, and this particular button is behaving
such that when I press it slightly upwards, it alternates
rapidly between scrolling up and down. About 3-20 seconds
of this crashes Opera pretty reliably (but not always).

--n

Matthew Winn

Jun 27, 2005, 6:11:46 AM6/27/05
On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 17:49:36 +0200, Nisse Engström <Pvovot...@tele2.se> wrote:
> I've got three "exception C0000005 at address 67B4B7F4"
> and one "exception C000001D at address 00000017" (What's
> that? I don't think I've seen one of those before).

C000001D is Illegal Instruction. Makes a nice change from the usual
access violation messages.