Windows Vista Website

Nathanial Woolls

Sep 29, 2005, 7:31:44 PM9/29/05
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/default.mspx

Renders properly in IE and Firefox, but horribly in Opera.

Eik

Sep 29, 2005, 10:33:03 PM9/29/05

If you mean the links on the right that are all blurry, they have text
links (e.g., "For developers") and then they put a background image
underneath this, but the background image contains text at a different
font size so it looks like Opera is drawing words on top of each other. It
isn't really. Here's one of the background images:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/images/txt_li_Developers.gif

The same applies to those blue arrow buttons that are underneath the words
'Confident' 'Clear' and 'Connected'. The arrows are background images
under the text, not linked inline images with those words set as their ALT
text. I don't think the way the page has been made is very good.

Anyway, the main stylesheet has been wrongly linked to in the BODY of the
document but what seems to be causing the problem is the following
proprietary tag inside a DIV:

<xhtml xmlns="http://www.microsoft.com/MSCOM/MNP2/Schemas">

There is no <xhtml> element in W3C HTML or even XHTML but for some reason
instead of being ignored it's causing Opera to ignore the following rule
in the main stylesheet:

.msviHighItem h2 a span {display:none;}

Maybe it's down to the use of a namespace or Opera's error handling, with
it thinking the author meant <html> (the start of a new document) and then
finding the stylesheet linked to from the wrong place. I haven't tested
for that.

One thing I noticed when I was testing the page was that about 10 minutes
after the page loads, Opera suddenly corrects the display. I was
constantly changing the CSS and refreshing (in offline mode) and nothing I
did would make the SPAN rule work but then it suddenly worked out of the
blue and continued to work, even if I reverted to the original CSS or went
back online and reloaded the page.

Weird. Either way, if the page was valid HTML there wouldn't be a problem.
Being well designed would be a bonus.

--
Using Opera's revolutionary integrated Email client:
http://www.opera.com/mail/

Rijk van Geijtenbeek

Sep 30, 2005, 4:47:00 AM9/30/05
On Fri, 30 Sep 2005 04:33:03 +0200, Eik wrote:

> On Fri, 30 Sep 2005 00:31:44 +0100, Nathanial Woolls wrote:
>
>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/default.mspx
>>
>> Renders properly in IE and Firefox, but horribly in Opera.
..

> Maybe it's down to the use of a namespace or Opera's error handling,
> with it thinking the author meant <html> (the start of a new document)
> and then finding the stylesheet linked to from the wrong place. I
> haven't tested for that.
..

> Weird. Either way, if the page was valid HTML there wouldn't be a
> problem. Being well designed would be a bonus.

For what it's worth, it renders correctly in Merlin. This next Opera has
fixes for the namespace handling, but it might also be some other fix that
helps here.

--
Get Opera 8 now! Speed, Security and Simplicity.
http://my.opera.com/Rijk/affiliate/

Rijk van Geijtenbeek
Opera Software ASA, Documentation & QA
Tweak: http://my.opera.com/Rijk/blog/

Pat Martini

Oct 21, 2005, 11:51:18 AM10/21/05
On Fri, 30 Sep 2005 04:47:00 -0400, Rijk van Geijtenbeek
<ri...@opera-dot-com.invalid> wrote:

> On Fri, 30 Sep 2005 04:33:03 +0200, Eik wrote:
>> On Fri, 30 Sep 2005 00:31:44 +0100, Nathanial Woolls wrote:
>>
>>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/default.mspx
>>>
>>> Renders properly in IE and Firefox, but horribly in Opera.
> ..
>> Maybe it's down to the use of a namespace or Opera's error handling,
>> with it thinking the author meant <html> (the start of a new document)
>> and then finding the stylesheet linked to from the wrong place. I
>> haven't tested for that.
> ..
>> Weird. Either way, if the page was valid HTML there wouldn't be a
>> problem. Being well designed would be a bonus.
>
> For what it's worth, it renders correctly in Merlin. This next Opera has
> fixes for the namespace handling, but it might also be some other fix
> that helps here.

I have found that Opera 9.0 does correct many former table/border
problems. Perhaps this is related to 9.0 alignment of table/cell margins
and padding (now conforms to 'other' browser defaults).

--
Pat Martini