Make mailto: links go to GMail?

Alan Hoyle

Jul 5, 2006, 3:48:10 PM7/5/06

Is there any way to make generic "mailto:" links in arbitrary web
pages bring up a webmail compose screen instead of trying to load an
external program or M2? I'd love to click them and have them bring up
a prepopulated GMail compose window. I checked UserJS.org, and didn't
see anything.

Here's the basic idea implemented in a Firefox extension:
https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/206/

-alan

--
Alan Hoyle - al...@unc.edu - http://www.alanhoyle.com/
Get Horizontal, Play Ultimate.

Toshiyuki Saito

Jul 6, 2006, 12:50:40 AM7/6/06
On Thu, 06 Jul 2006 04:48:10 +0900, Alan Hoyle <al...@unc.edu> wrote:

> Is there any way to make generic "mailto:" links in arbitrary web
> pages bring up a webmail compose screen instead of trying to load an
> external program or M2? I'd love to click them and have them bring up
> a prepopulated GMail compose window. I checked UserJS.org, and didn't
> see anything.
>
> Here's the basic idea implemented in a Firefox extension:
> https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/206/

It's written in Korean, which I can't read at all, but might be helpful
for you as well.
http://my.opera.com/korean/forums/topic.dml?id=106443&t=1150701063&page=1#comment1247118

--
Saito Toshiyuki, just an Opera user
Using Opera's developing mail/news client

Rijk van Geijtenbeek

Jul 6, 2006, 9:17:30 AM7/6/06
On Thu, 06 Jul 2006 06:50:40 +0200, Toshiyuki Saito wrote:
> On Thu, 06 Jul 2006 04:48:10 +0900, Alan Hoyle <al...@unc.edu> wrote:

>> Is there any way to make generic "mailto:" links in arbitrary web
>> pages bring up a webmail compose screen instead of trying to load an
>> external program or M2? I'd love to click them and have them bring up
>> a prepopulated GMail compose window. I checked UserJS.org, and didn't
>> see anything.
>>
>> Here's the basic idea implemented in a Firefox extension:
>> https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/206/
>
> It's written in Korean, which I can't read at all, but might be helpful
> for you as well.
> http://my.opera.com/korean/forums/topic.dml?id=106443&t=1150701063&page=1#comment1247118

Right. The problem is finding the documentation for the various webmail
services - copying the strings used by the Firefox extensions speeds this
up quite a lot :)

Together with Opera's documentation on the parameters:
http://www.opera.com/support/search/supsearch.dml?index=472
... this leads to the following command lines you can use to handle the
'mailto' protocol (where 'opera' starts the Opera browser):

GMail:
opera "http://mail.google.com/mail/?view=cm&fs=1&to=%t&su=%s&body=%b&cc=%c"

Hotmail:
opera
"http://hotmail.msn.com/cgi-bin/compose?To=%t&Subject=%s&Body=%b&Cc=%c&mailto=1"

Yahoo Mail:
opera "http://compose.mail.yahoo.com/?To=%t&Subject=%s&Body=%&Cc=%c"

Netscape Mail:
opera
"http://webmail.netscape.com/compose.adp?mailto=%t&mailcc=%c&mailsubject=%s&mailbody=%b"

Mail.com:
opera
"http://mail01.mail.com/scripts/mail/Outblaze.mail?composeto=%t&subject=%s&body=%b&cc=%c&compose=1"

Opera Web Mail:
opera
"http://mymail.operamail.com/scripts/mail/Outblaze.mail?compose=1&did=1&a=1&to=%t&subject=%s&body=%b&cc=%c"

Horde:
opera
"http://YOUR_HordeURL_HERE.com/horde/imp/compose.php?popup=0&to=%t&cc=%c&msg=%b&subject=%s"

Squirrelmail:
opera
"http://YOUR_SquirrelURL_HERE.com/src/compose.php?send_to=%t&subject=%s&body=%b&send_to_cc=%c"

Generic
opera
"http://YOUR_URL_HERE/?To_Field=%t&Subject_Field=%s&Body_Field=%b&Cc_FLield=%c"

--

Rijk van Geijtenbeek
Opera Software ASA, Documentation & QA

Brian D Clary

Aug 24, 2006, 11:14:26 AM8/24/06
On Thu, 06 Jul 2006 09:17:30 -0400, Rijk van Geijtenbeek <ri...@opera-dot-com.invalid> wrote:

> On Thu, 06 Jul 2006 06:50:40 +0200, Toshiyuki Saito wrote:
>> On Thu, 06 Jul 2006 04:48:10 +0900, Alan Hoyle <al...@unc.edu> wrote:
>
>>> Is there any way to make generic "mailto:" links in arbitrary web
>>> pages bring up a webmail compose screen instead of trying to load an
>>> external program or M2? I'd love to click them and have them bring up
>>> a prepopulated GMail compose window. I checked UserJS.org, and didn't
>>> see anything.
>>>
>>> Here's the basic idea implemented in a Firefox extension:
>>> https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/206/
>>
>> It's written in Korean, which I can't read at all, but might be helpful
>> for you as well.
>> http://my.opera.com/korean/forums/topic.dml?id=106443&t=1150701063&page=1#comment1247118
>
> Right. The problem is finding the documentation for the various webmail
> services - copying the strings used by the Firefox extensions speeds this
> up quite a lot :)
>
> Together with Opera's documentation on the parameters:
> http://www.opera.com/support/search/supsearch.dml?index=472
> ... this leads to the following command lines you can use to handle the
> 'mailto' protocol (where 'opera' starts the Opera browser):
>
> GMail:
> opera "http://mail.google.com/mail/?view=cm&fs=1&to=%t&su=%s&body=%b&cc=%c"

This works very nicely when encountering mailto: links. However, I notice that when I use the "send link by email" context menu option, the link is not included in the body of the message. Is this a bug?

--
Brian
Opera 9.01 build 8552

Rijk van Geijtenbeek

Aug 25, 2006, 9:09:51 AM8/25/06
Op Thu, 24 Aug 2006 17:14:26 +0200 schreef Brian D Clary:
> On Thu, 06 Jul 2006 09:17:30 -0400, Rijk van Geijtenbeek wrote:
..

>> GMail:
>> opera
>> "http://mail.google.com/mail/?view=cm&fs=1&to=%t&su=%s&body=%b&cc=%c"
>
> This works very nicely when encountering mailto: links. However, I
> notice that when I use the "send link by email" context menu option, the
> link is not included in the body of the message. Is this a bug?

I think it is a more general shortcoming this Opera feature. 'Send link by
e-mail' doesn't work when using normal external mail clients as well (at
least not in a quick test here).

--
Rijk

Opera Software ASA
QA etc

Brian D Clary

Aug 25, 2006, 2:23:10 PM8/25/06

What does shortcoming mean? That this is possible but hasn't been implemented yet? That it's not possible?

Rijk van Geijtenbeek

Aug 25, 2006, 2:28:22 PM8/25/06

http://www.answers.com/topic/shortcoming

> That this is possible but hasn't been implemented yet? That it's not
> possible?

"'Send link by e-mail' doesn't work when using normal external mail

clients as well (at least not in a quick test here)."

Brian D Clary

Aug 28, 2006, 9:56:22 AM8/28/06

Maybe I should've rephrased my post, because from your definition, it's hard to define exactly the difference between a bug and a "shortcoming." Basically, what I'm wondering is, should this be filed as a bug report? If not, is it because it is already known or that there are no plans to fix it?