Opera 9.20 Gtk-CRITICAL crash

Mick

Apr 16, 2007, 2:23:49 AM4/16/07
When I access www.accuweather.com opera crashes as I click to accept
cookies. This happens with other websites too.
$ opera
ERROR: ld.so: object 'libjvm.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded:
ignored.
ERROR: ld.so: object 'libawt.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded:
ignored.

(process:7941): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: gtype.c:2242: initialization
assertion failed, use IA__g_type_init() prior to this function

(process:7941): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_clipboard_get_for_display: assertion
`GDK_IS_DISPLAY (display)' failed
Adobe FlashPlayer: gtk_clipboard_get(GDK_SELECTION_PRIMARY); failed. Trying
to call gtk_init(0,0);

The opera window freezes and I have to use killall to close it. I guess it
is a bug - worth reporting? BTW, I could strace it for a more
comprehensive report and memory dump, but I remember that one can launch
opera with a particular option for capturing debug info - what is it?
--
Regards,
Mick

raf

Apr 16, 2007, 2:31:25 AM4/16/07
Mick <michael...@nomail.afraid.org> wrote:
> When I access www.accuweather.com opera crashes as I click to accept
> cookies. This happens with other websites too.
>
> The opera window freezes and I have to use killall to close it. I guess it
> is a bug - worth reporting? BTW, I could strace it for a more
> comprehensive report and memory dump, but I remember that one can launch
> opera with a particular option for capturing debug info - what is it?
opera -debughelp

Eirik Byrkjeflot Anonsen

Apr 16, 2007, 3:39:04 AM4/16/07
Mick <michael...@nomail.afraid.org> writes:

Any freeze/crash is certainly a bug. And certainly serious enough to
be worth reporting. The error messages above are most likely not the
cause, though. The gtk errors are from flash, which tries to use gtk
even though it is running inside a non-gtk application. This happens
on all flash sites, usually without crashing.

eirik

Mick

Apr 16, 2007, 7:07:34 AM4/16/07
raf wrote:

Thanks raf!

There's a long list of debug options there. This is what the plugins show:
$ opera -debugplugin

ERROR: ld.so: object 'libjvm.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded:
ignored.
ERROR: ld.so: object 'libawt.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded:
ignored.

operapluginwrapper: [plugin probing] /opt/opera/lib/opera/plugins/libnpp.so
opera: plugin detection successful: /opt/opera/lib/opera/plugins/libnpp.so
operapluginwrapper: [plugin
failed ] /opt/opera/lib/opera/plugins/plugger.so, /opt/opera/lib/opera/plugins/plugger.so:
opera: pluginwrapper exited cleanly with exit code 1 during plug-in
detection
operapluginwrapper: [plugin probing] /opt/netscape/plugins/nphelix.so
opera: plugin detection successful: /opt/netscape/plugins/nphelix.so
operapluginwrapper: [plugin probing] /opt/netscape/plugins/libNPSVG3.so
opera: plugin detection successful: /opt/netscape/plugins/libNPSVG3.so
operapluginwrapper: [plugin probing] /opt/netscape/plugins/libflashplayer.so
opera: plugin detection successful: /opt/netscape/plugins/libflashplayer.so
operapluginwrapper: [plugin probing] /opt/netscape/plugins/gxineplugin.so
opera: plugin detection successful: /opt/netscape/plugins/gxineplugin.so
opera: [plugin banned ] /opt/mozilla/plugins/libnullplugin.so

(process:8658): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: gtype.c:2242: initialization

assertion failed, use IA__g_type_init() prior to this function

(process:8658): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_clipboard_get_for_display: assertion

`GDK_IS_DISPLAY (display)' failed
Adobe FlashPlayer: gtk_clipboard_get(GDK_SELECTION_PRIMARY); failed. Trying
to call gtk_init(0,0);

On the other hand the xerror showed much more:
$ opera -debugxerror

ERROR: ld.so: object 'libjvm.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded:
ignored.
ERROR: ld.so: object 'libawt.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded:
ignored.

(process:8722): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: gtype.c:2242: initialization

assertion failed, use IA__g_type_init() prior to this function

(process:8722): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_clipboard_get_for_display: assertion

`GDK_IS_DISPLAY (display)' failed
Adobe FlashPlayer: gtk_clipboard_get(GDK_SELECTION_PRIMARY); failed. Trying
to call gtk_init(0,0);

opera: X Error: BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes) 8
Major opcode: 42
Minor opcode: 0
Resource id: 0x2a011f7

opera: X Error: BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes) 8
Major opcode: 42
Minor opcode: 0
Resource id: 0x2a01315

opera: X Error: BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes) 8
Major opcode: 42
Minor opcode: 0
Resource id: 0x2a01419

opera: X Error: BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes) 8
Major opcode: 42
Minor opcode: 0
Resource id: 0x2a01506

opera: X Error: BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes) 8
Major opcode: 42
Minor opcode: 0
Resource id: 0x2a0163f

opera: X Error: BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes) 8
Major opcode: 42
Minor opcode: 0
Resource id: 0x2a016c7

opera: X Error: BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes) 8
Major opcode: 42
Minor opcode: 0
Resource id: 0x2a0176f

opera: X Error: BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes) 8
Major opcode: 42
Minor opcode: 0
Resource id: 0x2a0184a

opera: X Error: BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes) 8
Major opcode: 42
Minor opcode: 0
Resource id: 0x2a0192a

opera: Plug-in 8722 is not responding. It will be closed.
opera: Define environment variable OPERA_KEEP_BLOCKED_PLUGIN to keep blocked
plug-ins.

(process:8735): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: gtype.c:2242: initialization

assertion failed, use IA__g_type_init() prior to this function

(process:8735): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_clipboard_get_for_display: assertion

`GDK_IS_DISPLAY (display)' failed
Adobe FlashPlayer: gtk_clipboard_get(GDK_SELECTION_PRIMARY); failed. Trying
to call gtk_init(0,0);

opera: X Error: BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes) 8
Major opcode: 42
Minor opcode: 0
Resource id: 0x2a02d10

opera: X Error: BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes) 8
Major opcode: 42
Minor opcode: 0
Resource id: 0x2a02e3c

opera: X Error: BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes) 8
Major opcode: 42
Minor opcode: 0
Resource id: 0x2a02e9e

opera: X Error: BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes) 8
Major opcode: 42
Minor opcode: 0
Resource id: 0x2a02f06

opera: X Error: BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes) 8
Major opcode: 42
Minor opcode: 0
Resource id: 0x2a02f9c

opera: X Error: BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes) 8
Major opcode: 42
Minor opcode: 0
Resource id: 0x2a03037

opera: X Error: BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes) 8
Major opcode: 42
Minor opcode: 0
Resource id: 0x2a03112

opera: X Error: BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes) 8
Major opcode: 42
Minor opcode: 0
Resource id: 0x2a031d1

opera: X Error: BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes) 8
Major opcode: 42
Minor opcode: 0
Resource id: 0x2a032e7

opera: X Error: BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes) 8
Major opcode: 42
Minor opcode: 0
Resource id: 0x2a034ec

opera: Plug-in 8735 is not responding. It will be closed.
opera: Define environment variable OPERA_KEEP_BLOCKED_PLUGIN to keep blocked
plug-ins.

(process:8740): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: gtype.c:2242: initialization

assertion failed, use IA__g_type_init() prior to this function

(process:8740): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_clipboard_get_for_display: assertion

`GDK_IS_DISPLAY (display)' failed
Adobe FlashPlayer: gtk_clipboard_get(GDK_SELECTION_PRIMARY); failed. Trying
to call gtk_init(0,0);

opera: Plug-in 8740 is not responding. It will be closed.
opera: Define environment variable OPERA_KEEP_BLOCKED_PLUGIN to keep blocked
plug-ins.

How should I define the environment variable OPERA_KEEP_BLOCKED_PLUGIN?
--
Regards,
Mick

Eirik Byrkjeflot Anonsen

Apr 16, 2007, 8:11:17 AM4/16/07
Mick <michael...@nomail.afraid.org> writes:

> raf wrote:
>
>> Mick <michael...@nomail.afraid.org> wrote:
>>> When I access www.accuweather.com opera crashes as I click to accept
>>> cookies. This happens with other websites too.
>>> ===========================================
>>>
>>> The opera window freezes and I have to use killall to close it. I guess
>>> it
>>> is a bug - worth reporting? BTW, I could strace it for a more
>>> comprehensive report and memory dump, but I remember that one can launch
>>> opera with a particular option for capturing debug info - what is it?
>> opera -debughelp
>
> Thanks raf!
>
> There's a long list of debug options there. This is what the plugins show:

[...]

> opera: Plug-in 8740 is not responding. It will be closed.
> opera: Define environment variable OPERA_KEEP_BLOCKED_PLUGIN to keep blocked
> plug-ins.
>
> How should I define the environment variable OPERA_KEEP_BLOCKED_PLUGIN?

As long as it is set, it doesn't matter what it is set to.

Since you know how to get the debug output I assume you know how to
set an environment variable :)

eirik

Mick

Apr 16, 2007, 3:00:44 PM4/16/07
Eirik Byrkjeflot Anonsen wrote:

> Mick <michael...@nomail.afraid.org> writes:
>
>> How should I define the environment variable OPERA_KEEP_BLOCKED_PLUGIN?
>
> As long as it is set, it doesn't matter what it is set to.
>
> Since you know how to get the debug output I assume you know how to
> set an environment variable :)

Thanks eirik,

Well I know that it is not set & I know to run export, or setenv. But I do
not know what I am supposed to set this variable to? Would something like:

setenv $OPERA_KEEP_BLOCKED_PLUGIN=on

do the trick?

If this environment variable is important why wasn't it set in the place?

BTW, I noticed that libflashplayer.so was not listed
in /opt/opera/lib/opera/plugins/ so added a symlink
to /opt/netscape/plugins/libflashplayer.so, but opera will still refuse to
play You Tube videos - perhaps related to this problem?
--
Regards,
Mick

David W. Hodgins

Apr 16, 2007, 3:07:55 PM4/16/07
On Mon, 16 Apr 2007 02:23:49 -0400, Mick <michael...@nomail.afraid.org> wrote:

> When I access www.accuweather.com opera crashes as I click to accept
> cookies. This happens with other websites too.
> $ opera
> ERROR: ld.so: object 'libjvm.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded:
> ignored.
> ERROR: ld.so: object 'libawt.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded:
> ignored.
>
> (process:7941): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: gtype.c:2242: initialization
> assertion failed, use IA__g_type_init() prior to this function
>
> (process:7941): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_clipboard_get_for_display: assertion
> `GDK_IS_DISPLAY (display)' failed
> Adobe FlashPlayer: gtk_clipboard_get(GDK_SELECTION_PRIMARY); failed. Trying
> to call gtk_init(0,0);

It doesn't crash here. Both libjvm.so and libawt.so are part of Java. Check
[dave@hodgins .opera]$ cat javapath.txt
/usr/java/latest/lib/i386
[dave@hodgins .opera]$ ll /usr/java/latest/lib/i386/libawt.so
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 584864 Nov 29 04:49 /usr/java/latest/lib/i386/libawt.so*
[dave@hodgins .opera]$ ll /usr/java/latest/lib/i386/client/libjvm.so
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 5310375 Nov 29 04:49 /usr/java/latest/lib/i386/client/libjvm.so*

Although it doesn't crash, I do get the error messages ...
(process:20108): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: gtype.c:2240: initialization assertion failed, use IA__g_type_init() prior to this function
(process:20108): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_clipboard_get_for_display: assertion `GDK_IS_DISPLAY (display)' failed

Adobe FlashPlayer: gtk_clipboard_get(GDK_SELECTION_PRIMARY); failed. Trying to call gtk_init(0,0);

Flash Player: Warning: environment variable G_FILENAME_ENCODING is set and is not UTF-8

Regards, Dave Hodgins

Mick

Apr 16, 2007, 5:47:45 PM4/16/07
David W. Hodgins wrote:

> On Mon, 16 Apr 2007 02:23:49 -0400, Mick
> <michael...@nomail.afraid.org> wrote:
>
>> When I access www.accuweather.com opera crashes as I click to accept
>> cookies. This happens with other websites too.
>

> It doesn't crash here. Both libjvm.so and libawt.so are part of Java.
> Check
> [dave@hodgins .opera]$ cat javapath.txt
> /usr/java/latest/lib/i386
> [dave@hodgins .opera]$ ll /usr/java/latest/lib/i386/libawt.so
> -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 584864 Nov 29 04:49
> /usr/java/latest/lib/i386/libawt.so*
> [dave@hodgins .opera]$ ll /usr/java/latest/lib/i386/client/libjvm.so
> -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 5310375 Nov 29 04:49
> /usr/java/latest/lib/i386/client/libjvm.so*

Those two messages exist on my system because I do not have Java installed.

> Although it doesn't crash, I do get the error messages ...
> (process:20108): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: gtype.c:2240: initialization
> assertion failed, use IA__g_type_init() prior to this function
> (process:20108): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_clipboard_get_for_display: assertion
> `GDK_IS_DISPLAY (display)' failed Adobe FlashPlayer:
> gtk_clipboard_get(GDK_SELECTION_PRIMARY); failed. Trying to call
> gtk_init(0,0); Flash Player: Warning: environment variable
> G_FILENAME_ENCODING is set and is not UTF-8

I've added a symlink from opera to /opt/netscape/plugins/libflashplayer.so
and it doesn't seem to crash as often anymore (but still crashes
occasionally). I wonder if this is flash related. It won't play YouTube
and similar videos although it downloads them fine. Is this the expected
behaviour?
--
Regards,
Mick

David W. Hodgins

Apr 17, 2007, 1:54:05 AM4/17/07
On Mon, 16 Apr 2007 17:47:45 -0400, Mick <michael...@nomail.afraid.org> wrote:

> David W. Hodgins wrote:
>> It doesn't crash here. Both libjvm.so and libawt.so are part of Java.
>

> Those two messages exist on my system because I do not have Java installed.

I'm wondering if the flashplayer plugin uses some java functions?

Try installing java, and see if that stops the crashes.

Eirik Byrkjeflot Anonsen

Apr 17, 2007, 3:46:52 AM4/17/07
"David W. Hodgins" <dwho...@nomail.afraid.org> writes:

> On Mon, 16 Apr 2007 17:47:45 -0400, Mick <michael...@nomail.afraid.org> wrote:
>
>> David W. Hodgins wrote:
>>> It doesn't crash here. Both libjvm.so and libawt.so are part of Java.
>>
>> Those two messages exist on my system because I do not have Java installed.
>
> I'm wondering if the flashplayer plugin uses some java functions?
>
> Try installing java, and see if that stops the crashes.
>
> Regards, Dave Hodgins

No, if java is not installed, it should not make opera crash. Java is
much more likely to crash opera if it is installed than if it's not :)

Yes, I mean that. Those error messages results from our attempts at
keeping java from crashing opera. If java is not installed, there's
no problem. If java is installed and you still have those error
messages, opera may crash as soon as it tries to use java. A simple
workaround is, of course, to turn off java support in opera (e.g. on
the F12 menu).

eirik

Eirik Byrkjeflot Anonsen

Apr 17, 2007, 3:57:09 AM4/17/07
Mick <michael...@nomail.afraid.org> writes:

> Eirik Byrkjeflot Anonsen wrote:
>
>> Mick <michael...@nomail.afraid.org> writes:
>>
>>> How should I define the environment variable OPERA_KEEP_BLOCKED_PLUGIN?
>>
>> As long as it is set, it doesn't matter what it is set to.
>>
>> Since you know how to get the debug output I assume you know how to
>> set an environment variable :)
>
> Thanks eirik,
>
> Well I know that it is not set & I know to run export, or setenv. But I do
> not know what I am supposed to set this variable to? Would something like:
>
> setenv $OPERA_KEEP_BLOCKED_PLUGIN=on
>
> do the trick?

Yes (except probably without the '$'?).

Or (bash-style):
export OPERA_KEEP_BLOCKED_PLUGIN="I hate plug-ins"
Or even:
export OPERA_KEEP_BLOCKED_PLUGIN=""

Opera doesn't care what you set it to :)

> If this environment variable is important why wasn't it set in the place?

It's not important. If it is set, opera will hang (at least for a
while) whenever a plug-in hangs. If it is not set, opera will time
out hanging plug-ins (I think if the plug-in has not returned to the
main loop for 20 seconds) and kill it.

> BTW, I noticed that libflashplayer.so was not listed
> in /opt/opera/lib/opera/plugins/ so added a symlink
> to /opt/netscape/plugins/libflashplayer.so, but opera will still refuse to
> play You Tube videos - perhaps related to this problem?

If you go to "prefs->advanced->content->plug-in options" you will find
a list of all plug-ins opera knows about. If you find shockwave flash
in the list, then the .so file is found, at least.

Then you might want to check prefs->advanced->downloads, find
"application/x-shockwave-flash", and check that it is set to use the
(correct) plug-in.

Though, of course, if opera kills the flash plug-in that should be
running the youtube video, it certainly won't show :)

eirik

Mick

Apr 17, 2007, 8:31:32 AM4/17/07
Eirik Byrkjeflot Anonsen wrote:

> Mick <michael...@nomail.afraid.org> writes:

I think that I fixed the shockwave-flash problem. I changed the plugin from
Shockwave Flash - /opt/netscape/plugins/libflashplayer.so to Shockwave
Flash - /opt/operalib/opera/plugins/libflashplayer.so. Believe it or not,
You Tube videos now play fine although I cannot explain why Opera will not
follow the path into the netscape plugins . . . any ideas?

Meanwhile, the crash problem is really uncanny: opera 9.20 also crashes on
http://www.weather.com

I am becoming convinced that this is a weather related bug! :-))

Anyway, setting the OPERA_KEEP_BLOCKED_PLUGIN="no" did not stop the crash
taking place. The crash of the application is permanent (i.e. 7 minutes
later it is still frozen and the CPU fan is running):

8494 michael 25 0 91388 37m 19m R 98.6 5.9
9:16.14 /opt/opera/lib/opera/9.20-20070409.6/opera -debugxerror -style
keramik

This is where the crash takes place:

$ opera -debugxerror
ERROR: ld.so: object 'libjvm.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded:
ignored.
ERROR: ld.so: object 'libawt.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded:
ignored.

opera: X Error: BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes) 8
Major opcode: 42
Minor opcode: 0

Resource id: 0x2000bb9

(process:8516): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: gtype.c:2242: initialization

assertion failed, use IA__g_type_init() prior to this function

(process:8516): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_clipboard_get_for_display: assertion

`GDK_IS_DISPLAY (display)' failed
Adobe FlashPlayer: gtk_clipboard_get(GDK_SELECTION_PRIMARY); failed. Trying
to call gtk_init(0,0);

i.e. nothing much is written after the Gtk lines when the crash occurs.
--
Regards,
Mick

Eirik Byrkjeflot Anonsen

Apr 17, 2007, 9:31:05 AM4/17/07
Mick <michael...@nomail.afraid.org> writes:

> I think that I fixed the shockwave-flash problem. I changed the plugin from
> Shockwave Flash - /opt/netscape/plugins/libflashplayer.so to Shockwave
> Flash - /opt/operalib/opera/plugins/libflashplayer.so. Believe it or not,
> You Tube videos now play fine although I cannot explain why Opera will not
> follow the path into the netscape plugins . . . any ideas?

Yes, I'd forgotten about that. At least some versions of flash refuse
to run if they are installed in a path where one of the components is
"netscape". I don't remember the details anymore.

I think you can actually use a hex editor on the flash plug-in, search
for "netscape" and if you just change that text (making sure to keep
it the same length, obviously...), then flash starts working. (Not
that you'd actually want to do that...)

eirik

David W. Hodgins

Apr 17, 2007, 1:28:35 PM4/17/07
On Tue, 17 Apr 2007 08:31:32 -0400, Mick <michael...@nomail.afraid.org> wrote:

> I think that I fixed the shockwave-flash problem. I changed the plugin from
> Shockwave Flash - /opt/netscape/plugins/libflashplayer.so to Shockwave
> Flash - /opt/operalib/opera/plugins/libflashplayer.so. Believe it or not,

Try (as root) running "ldd /opt/operalib/opera/plugins/libflashplayer.so"
and see if any of the dynamically loaded modules are missing.

GP lisper

Apr 19, 2007, 2:28:32 PM4/19/07
On Tue, 17 Apr 2007 13:31:32 +0100, <michael...@nomail.afraid.org> wrote:

> I think that I fixed the shockwave-flash problem. I changed the plugin from
> Shockwave Flash - /opt/netscape/plugins/libflashplayer.so to Shockwave
> Flash - /opt/operalib/opera/plugins/libflashplayer.so. Believe it or not,
> You Tube videos now play fine although I cannot explain why Opera will not
> follow the path into the netscape plugins . . . any ideas?

This only works for some sites, for instance your modification breaks
MLB.com's Gameday. Nice to be able to see Youtube without IE, and
nice to have multiple users to watch both Youtube and Gameday.