O9.21-641(.1) - OPERA_NUM_XSHM

Robt. W. Fletcher Jr

Jun 25, 2007, 12:49:44 PM6/25/07

I don't know if anybody knows, but I'll ask the question anyway.

During one on the betas (O9.20-557(.5 or .6)) I had an issue w/ the
proper display of opera. See this link:

http://groups.google.com/group/opera.linux/browse_thread/thread/b73ed1f0e37c0013/329b8901bf2846b0?lnk=gst&q=OPERA_NUM_XSHM&rnum=1#

Tommy Olsen recommended setting OPERA_NUM_XSHM to 0.

I've also seen posts on the Opera forums about people setting
OPERA_NUM_XSHM to 1000 and getting 'better' performanace.

Assumption/Questions follow:

1. 0 indicates that the use of XSHM should be disabled.

2. I have no idea what the default value is?

3. I have no idea what the max value is (i.e. set by the user)?

4. I have no idea what 1000 refers to (memory?/kilobytes?/etc?)

5. It 'might' be nice to know the answers to 2.), 3.) and 4.)

Note: I assuming XSHM refers to:

~% cat /var/log/Xorg.0.0.log | grep SHM
(II) Initializing built-in extension MIT-SHM

Comments?

--
-rwf

Robt. W. Fletcher Jr

Jun 25, 2007, 12:54:52 PM6/25/07
"Robt. W. Fletcher Jr" <m...@wa.us> writes:

> 2. I have no idea what the default value is?

Oppps! Cockpit error ;-( Tommy Olsen clearly saided that 100 is the default.

--
-rwf

csant

Jun 25, 2007, 3:24:27 PM6/25/07
On Mon, 25 Jun 2007 18:49:44 +0200, Robt. W. Fletcher Jr <m...@wa.us> wrote:

> 1. 0 indicates that the use of XSHM should be disabled.

Correct.

> 2. I have no idea what the default value is?

100

> 3. I have no idea what the max value is (i.e. set by the user)?
>
> 4. I have no idea what 1000 refers to (memory?/kilobytes?/etc?)

It refers to the number of shared memory segments.

ipcs -mp | grep <opera_process_ID> | wc -l

/c

csant

Jun 25, 2007, 3:25:19 PM6/25/07
On Mon, 25 Jun 2007 21:24:27 +0200, csant <cs...@opera.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 25 Jun 2007 18:49:44 +0200, Robt. W. Fletcher Jr <m...@wa.us>
> wrote:
>
>> 1. 0 indicates that the use of XSHM should be disabled.
>
> Correct.
>
>> 2. I have no idea what the default value is?
>
> 100
>
>> 3. I have no idea what the max value is (i.e. set by the user)?

Sorry, missed this one. 4096.