what do these mean?

Eric Blade

May 22, 2005, 3:08:16 AM5/22/05
Whenever I try to start opera with a user account, I get :

ICE default IO error handler doing an exit(), pid = 3081, errno = 32

... and a crash.

whenever I start it as root I get:
Session management error: Authentication Rejected, reason : None of the
authentication protocols specified are supported and host-based
authentication failed

... and it starts up fine.

I've also noticed, that when I start it, it tries to run mplayer with
various options about half a dozen times. ?

Robt. W. Fletcher Jr

May 22, 2005, 3:34:26 AM5/22/05
"Eric Blade" <ebl...@blackmagik.dynup.net> writes:

> Whenever I try to start opera with a user account, I get :
>
> ICE default IO error handler doing an exit(), pid = 3081, errno = 32
>
> ... and a crash.

F2 g ICE default IO error handler doing an exit()

Seems to indicate that other people have had the same error. You
really need to do some searching when you run into problems. Doesn't
your distro have a user group?

http://www.forum4designers.com/message229009.html

--
-rwf

Eric Blade

May 22, 2005, 4:23:37 AM5/22/05

I really don't expect to find a problem involving whatever distribution i
happen to be running, when the only piece of software i am having problems
at all with is Opera. I would expect to go to the Opera support group to
deal with that issue. Would that make sense?

OK, so, what that message that you pointed to tells me:
There's a problem with Opera.

Yes, there's a way to fix it (ie, an opera6.ini that was perfectly fine a
short while back, was suddenly made NOT fine, and the only program that's
accessed it is... Opera), but, that's basically the same as rebooting a
computer to solve it's problems. You don't solve the problem, you just
make it go away temporarily.

Eirik Byrkjeflot Anonsen

May 22, 2005, 9:58:31 PM5/22/05
"Eric Blade" <ebl...@blackmagik.dynup.net> writes:

I take it that --personaldir "fixed" the problem for you too? I don't
suppose you could find out just what part of the old opera6.ini caused
the problem? One way to test is to cut out large parts of the
opera6.ini file at a time and see if it makes a difference. Something
like a binary search.

As an aside: ICE is (as far as I know) a part of the X11 system. And
I'm pretty sure we don't use it directly.

eirik

Eric Blade

May 23, 2005, 12:51:50 PM5/23/05
On Sun, 22 May 2005 21:58:31 -0400, Eirik Byrkjeflot Anonsen
<ei...@opera.com> wrote:

> I take it that --personaldir "fixed" the problem for you too? I don't
> suppose you could find out just what part of the old opera6.ini caused
> the problem? One way to test is to cut out large parts of the
> opera6.ini file at a time and see if it makes a difference. Something
> like a binary search.
>
> As an aside: ICE is (as far as I know) a part of the X11 system. And
> I'm pretty sure we don't use it directly.
>
> eirik

No, what fixes the problem for me is removing the ~/.ICEauthority file.
But that only fixes it for one run. The next run of Opera, there's a new
.ICEauthority file, and then it causes it to fail with the same error.

Robt. W. Fletcher Jr

May 23, 2005, 2:56:22 PM5/23/05
"Eric Blade" <ebl...@blackmagik.dynup.net> writes:

> I really don't expect to find a problem involving whatever
> distribution i happen to be running, when the only piece of software
> i am having problems at all with is Opera. I would expect to go to
> the Opera support group to deal with that issue. Would that make
> sense?

Well now, what to do.

The root/user issue:

I would download the static version of 7.54 and try running it as a
'normal' user, using the --personaldir option. Run for awhile, stop X
and restart it then try running Opera again as a normal user. Does
this work? I assume since you talk about being an Opera user since
6.0 time frame, you used 7.54 in the past. When you have convinced
yourself that the problems don't occur with 7.54, download the static
version of 8.01p and try the same mini-test.

The ICEauthority issue:

"whenever I start it as root I get: Session management error:
Authentication Rejected, reason : None of the authentication protocols
specified are supported and host-based authentication failed"

Hmmmm -- seems to be telling you something doesn't it??? If it were my
problem I check the man page on X -- or the xauth command. I would
also look how X was being started (startx, xdm, gdm etc.). I would do
a google search for the "Session management error: Authentication ..."

Lastly, this is not an Opera support group and it's always nice to
report you distro (uname --all), exact version of Opera
(shared/static .2, .3, .4, .5) and maybe DeskTop (kde, gnome) if you
use one.

Realize you got the problem, not me. Java/flash work on my system w/
firefox. Opera plugins (some of them at least) and java have worked
on my systems (RedHat 7.1 and recently Gentoo) since 6.0 timeframe.

--
-rwf

Eirik Byrkjeflot Anonsen

May 23, 2005, 9:20:37 PM5/23/05
"Eric Blade" <ebl...@blackmagik.dynup.net> writes:

What does your .ICEauthority file look like when Opera fails? Do you
have read/write access to it?

eirik