Bug? - Opera 9.5 / Win98SE - disappearing GDI & System resources

Franc Zabkar

Jun 18, 2008, 1:24:07 AM6/18/08
I'm using Windows 98SE.

After upgrading to Opera 9.5 from 9.26, and while downloading a 20MB
file with the Transfer window open, Windows 98's Resource Meter showed
that the System and GDI resources were rapidly disappearing. Closing
the transfer window, without interrupting the download, stopped the
rot, but by that time my resources were in the red. Only after exiting
Opera was I able to reclaim most (all?) of the lost resources.

- Franc Zabkar

Nisse Engström

Jun 18, 2008, 5:27:57 AM6/18/08
On Wed, 18 Jun 2008 15:24:07 +1000, Franc Zabkar wrote:

> I'm using Windows 98SE.
>
> After upgrading to Opera 9.5 from 9.26, and while downloading a 20MB
> file with the Transfer window open, Windows 98's Resource Meter showed
> that the System and GDI resources were rapidly disappearing. Closing
> the transfer window, without interrupting the download, stopped the
> rot, but by that time my resources were in the red. Only after exiting
> Opera was I able to reclaim most (all?) of the lost resources.

I don't know about the transfer window, but I can confirm
that 9.5 is consuming GDI resources on W98SE. Try cycling
through the tabs and see what happens to the resource
meter.

See also a thread titled "Opera 9.50 on Windows Vista".

/Nisse

Gerry

Jun 18, 2008, 8:31:52 AM6/18/08
Nisse =?utf-8?Q?Engstr=C3=B6m?= <news.NOSPA...@luden.se> wrote in

> I don't know about the transfer window, but I can confirm
> that 9.5 is consuming GDI resources on W98SE. Try cycling
> through the tabs and see what happens to the resource
> meter.
>
> See also a thread titled "Opera 9.50 on Windows Vista".

As far as I know, Opera has ever had problems in windows 98. In those dinosore days, when I was on
windows 98 (with opera 6.x, 7.x and tested even on 8.x), I had to restart system after some time of
surfing - opera slowly but sure eats all resources of win98. As far as I know, this has never been fixed,
and with every new version of opera the resorces are getting depleted faster :-(

G.

Rijk van Geijtenbeek

Jun 18, 2008, 7:09:20 PM6/18/08
Op Wed, 18 Jun 2008 14:31:52 +0200 schreef Gerry <ge...@work.invalid>:

There is a specific problem in Opera 9.5 with GDI resources and the
Transfers window, that will get fixed in the next update.

--
Rijk van Geijtenbeek
Opera Software ASA, Documentation & QA

"The most common way to get usability wrong is to listen to what users
say rather than actually watching what they do." - J.Nielsen

Milhouse Van Houten

Jun 18, 2008, 8:46:28 PM6/18/08
"Rijk van Geijtenbeek" <ri...@opera.invalid.removethis.com> wrote in message

> There is a specific problem in Opera 9.5 with GDI resources and the
> Transfers window, that will get fixed in the next update.

So the GDI leak that's been in several threads on the forum over the last
couple months involves the transfer window necessarily, or are you saying
that's one of several ways that GDI can leak? A lot of us have been trying
to figure out why some see it and some don't, so if one way of seeing it is
by leaving the transfer window open (?) then that might be helpful to know.

Tim Altman

Jun 19, 2008, 5:37:39 PM6/19/08

There's a specific problem with GDI leaks in the transfer panel.

--
Tim Altman
Desktop QA