relative links resolved incorrectly ?

Max Andersen

May 6, 2003, 11:37:23 AM5/6/03
Hi!

Why is it that on
http://opensource.atlassian.com/projects/hibernate/secure/Dashboard.jspa

the link "ALL" has a relative link to "IssueNavigator.jspa" in the
source, but Opera 7 resolves it to:

http://opensource.atlassian.com/secure/views/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&mode=hide&pid=10000

Which is of course wrong. Opera 6 doesn't do this.

It should be

http://opensource.atlassian.com/projects/hibernate/secure/IssueNavigator?reset=true&mode=hide&pid=10000

Mozilla and IE resovles it correctly - so what's wrong here ?

The folks behind JIRA has been informed about this and are probably
going to change their JIRA impl. to handle this for Opera 7 clients, but
isn't this a bug in Opera that needs fixing preetty damn soon ?

/max

Yngve Nysaeter Pettersen

May 6, 2003, 12:26:47 PM5/6/03
On Tue, 06 May 2003 17:37:23 +0200, Max Andersen <xam...@xam.dk>
wrote:

They are sending a Content-Location header

HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Date: Tue, 06 May 2003 16:11:22 GMT
Server: Orion/1.6.0
Set-Cookie: JSESSIONID=**********; Path=/
Connection: Keep-Alive
Keep-Alive: timeout=15, max=100
Transfer-Encoding: chunked

which imply that the Base URL is based on

http://opensource.atlassian.com/secure/views/dashboard.jsp

not

http://opensource.atlassian.com/projects/hibernate/secure/Dashboard.jspa

Which is the behaviour described in RFC 2616 sec 14.14 :

"The value of Content-Location also defines the base URI for the
entity."

Opera 7 uses this value if it is present and no Base URL declaration
is made in the document.

IOW: This is not a bug, it is a feature.

BTW: What is so sensitive about that page that they have to use a
"no-store" Cache directive to force the client to use RAM cache?

--
Sincerely,
Yngve N. Pettersen

Senior Developer Email: yn...@opera.com
Opera Software ASA http://www.opera.com/
Phone: +47 24 16 42 51 Fax: +47 24 16 40 01

Dario

May 6, 2003, 12:56:40 PM5/6/03

Good analysis.

Opera 6.06 suffers the same problem of Mozilla and IE.

- Dario

Max Andersen

May 7, 2003, 9:14:47 AM5/7/03
to Max Andersen
ok - I also hoped that Opera follow the standard ;)

I can also see that java.sun.com bug parade has the same problem when
performing searches. They also resolve links incorrectly!

/max

Christoph Schneegans

May 7, 2003, 3:48:00 PM5/7/03
Yngve Nysaeter Pettersen wrote:

> Which is the behaviour described in RFC 2616 sec 14.14 :
>
> "The value of Content-Location also defines the base URI for
> the entity."
>
> Opera 7 uses this value if it is present and no Base URL
> declaration is made in the document.

The implementation is so broken that I didn't realize until now
that Opera 7 supports the "Content-Location" header at all. If an
absolute URI such as

is specified, the header is completely ignored. This is a violation
of RFC 2616. Amaya 8.0 supports absolute URIs in the "Content-
Location" header. <http://schneegans.de/temp/content-location.aspx>
contains a simple test case.

--
<http://schneegans.de/>

Yngve Nysaeter Pettersen (Developer, Opera Software A/S)

May 7, 2003, 6:37:36 PM5/7/03
On Wed, 07 May 2003 19:48:00 GMT, Christoph Schneegans <Chri...@Schneegans.de>
wrote:

After we implemented "Content-Location" support we ran into a case where that
broke a site. The server on http://www.bookwire.com/ returned a Content-Location
of http://www.bookwire.com:3170/ (still does, probably a badly configured
server). Because there was no server on that port, the images (at least) broke.

We therefore decided to limit "Content-Location" handling so that protocol,
server and port have to match.

Christoph Schneegans

May 7, 2003, 7:30:05 PM5/7/03
Yngve Nysaeter Pettersen wrote:

> After we implemented "Content-Location" support we ran into a

> case where that broke a site. (...)

> We therefore decided to limit "Content-Location" handling so
> that protocol, server and port have to match.

That's a joke, isn't it?

--
<http://schneegans.de/>