800b2 changelog understanding English difficulty

1 view

Marek Mänd

May 10, 2005, 12:41:25 PM5/10/05
http://www.opera.com/windows/changelogs/800b2/
# Enabled downloading of the file ua.ini for site-specific changing of
the user agent string. Check is performed automatically with the "Check
for new version" function.

I am no native English speaker and English is the second foreign
language for me after German, so i have understanding problems, what
does the "Enabled downloading of the file ua.ini for site-specific
changing of the user agent string." mean. Who downloads what and how can
webserver (to whom probably the ua.ini is without my aware consent
uploaded) force Opera to change the ua.file on my harddrive - thats insane!

--
Marek Mänd
Estonia, Tallinn

FACE

May 10, 2005, 1:06:58 PM5/10/05

Entire default UA.INI file:

FILE: C:\Program Files\Opera\profile\ua.ini

~~~~

Opera Preferences version 2.0
; Do not edit this file while Opera is running
; This file is stored in UTF-8 encoding

[Identity]
www.opera.com=1
pncbank.com=4
online.wellsfargo.com=4
gmail.google.com=1
gmail.com=1
msdn.microsoft.com=2
nwolb.com=4

~~~~
Not much risk.

FACE

Rijk van Geijtenbeek

May 10, 2005, 2:20:11 PM5/10/05
On Tue, 10 May 2005 19:06:58 +0200, FACE wrote:

> On Tue, 10 May 2005 19:41:25 +0300, in opera.general Marek Mänd wrote:
>
>> http://www.opera.com/windows/changelogs/800b2/
>> # Enabled downloading of the file ua.ini for site-specific changing of
>> the user agent string. Check is performed automatically with the "Check
>> for new version" function.
>>

>> I am no native English speaker and English is the second foreign
>> language for me after German, so i have understanding problems, what
>> does the "Enabled downloading of the file ua.ini for site-specific
>> changing of the user agent string." mean. Who downloads what and how can
>> webserver (to whom probably the ua.ini is without my aware consent
>> uploaded) force Opera to change the ua.file on my harddrive - thats
>> insane!
>
> Entire default UA.INI file:
>
> FILE: C:\Program Files\Opera\profile\ua.ini

On 'Check for update', Opera requests these two simple files from our
webserver:

http://xml.opera.com/update/
http://xml.opera.com/spoof/

The latter contains the list of sites and the UA values to put in ua.ini.
Opera will overwrite values for existing host names, but not delete
entries.

So this is only about downloading, nothing is uploaded. Opera uses normal
http requests to get these files.

--
Get Opera 8 now! Speed, Security and Simplicity.
http://my.opera.com/Rijk/affiliate/

Rijk van Geijtenbeek
Opera Software ASA, Documentation & QA
Tweak: http://my.opera.com/Rijk/journal

John H Meyers

May 10, 2005, 6:35:09 PM5/10/05
On Tue, 10 May 2005 13:20:11 -0500, Rijk van Geijtenbeek wrote:

> On 'Check for update',
> Opera requests these two simple files from our webserver:

> http://xml.opera.com/update/
> http://xml.opera.com/spoof/

I am now looking for the "Check for update" function in my 8.00,
and have not been able to find it! (if it was on an extra button
which I may have removed, then I guess it should also be somewhere
in the menu system, but I have not found it yet).

Or is it the same as "Help > check for new release" ?
(this sounds a bit different in purpose than the above)

Thanks for your interest.

John H Meyers

May 10, 2005, 6:41:14 PM5/10/05
I wrote:

> I am now looking for the "Check for update" function in my 8.00

I have belatedly found a clue on the Opera web page
(which was not found in any of my searches, however)

http://www.opera.com/windows/changelogs/800b2

| Changes since Beta 1
| User Interface

| Enabled downloading of the file ua.ini for site-specific changing
| of the user agent string. Check is performed automatically
| with the "Check for new version" function.

So it is called the "Check for new version" function,
rather than "Check for update,"
and apparently includes downloading any update to these other files,
even though it says that my version is already the current version.

Thanks.

FACE

May 10, 2005, 7:21:19 PM5/10/05
On Tue, 10 May 2005 17:41:14 -0500, in opera.general "John H Meyers"
<jhme...@miu.edu> wrote:

>| Changes since Beta 1
>| User Interface
>| Enabled downloading of the file ua.ini for site-specific changing
>| of the user agent string. Check is performed automatically
>| with the "Check for new version" function.
>
>So it is called the "Check for new version" function,
>rather than "Check for update,"
>and apparently includes downloading any update to these other files,
>even though it says that my version is already the current version.
>
>Thanks.

I got the single Opera-style box notification "You are using the latest
version of Opera" on Check for New Version.
So where is the "check for updates"?

Surely it doesn't download stuff.....silently. :-)

More thanks

FACE

SATAN

May 10, 2005, 7:43:49 PM5/10/05
I believe it was FACE <AFaceIn...@bellsouth.net>
who thought we would be interested in the following:

-> >So it is called the "Check for new version" function,
-> >rather than "Check for update,"
-> >and apparently includes downloading any update to these other files,
-> >even though it says that my version is already the current version.
-> >
-> >Thanks.
->
-> I got the single Opera-style box notification "You are using the latest
-> version of Opera" on Check for New Version.
-> So where is the "check for updates"?

There is no "check for updates", nor a "Check for new version" either.

What there *is* is a "Check for new release".

-> Surely it doesn't download stuff.....silently. :-)

I'm not sure what it'll do when a new release comes out; however, it
*will* indeed silently update ua.ini when checking for a new release.

Rijk van Geijtenbeek

May 11, 2005, 6:49:15 AM5/11/05
On Wed, 11 May 2005 01:43:49 +0200, SATAN wrote:

[please use normal quote indicators, it is apain to manually fix them...]

> I believe it was FACE <AFaceIn...@bellsouth.net>
> who thought we would be interested in the following:

>> John H Meyers wrote:

>>> So it is called the "Check for new version" function,

>>> rather than "Check for update,"

Sorry for being imprecise. I was running the Dutch version and didn't
bother to start an English installation.

BTW, you don't need to look at the changelog for a specific beta version,
the 'normal' changelog
http://www.opera.com/windows/changelogs/800/
says about "ua.ini":
"File updated automatically through the Opera version check. Local edits
will not be overwritten."

>>> and apparently includes downloading any update to these other files,

>>> even though it says that my version is already the current version.

>> I got the single Opera-style box notification "You are using the latest

>> version of Opera" on Check for New Version.

>> So where is the "check for updates"?
>
> There is no "check for updates", nor a "Check for new version" either.
>
> What there *is* is a "Check for new release".
>

>> Surely it doesn't download stuff.....silently. :-)
>
> I'm not sure what it'll do when a new release comes out; however, it
> *will* indeed silently update ua.ini when checking for a new release.

When I new release comes out, it will say 'A new release is available', or
other words that say the same thing. And yes, ua.ini will be silently
updated, as the changelog said as well, and as I said before in this
thread.