8.52 and gmail

djk

Feb 24, 2006, 3:27:34 AM2/24/06
i still get the stall on standard version of the gmail interface, as before it
loads the html version very quickly.

John H Meyers

Mar 2, 2006, 5:01:58 AM3/2/06
On Fri, 24 Feb 2006 02:27:34 -0600:

> I still get the stall on standard version of the gmail interface

Somehow that problem had vanished for me, even with 8.51 (on Win2K);
I had imagined that the invisible updates from "check for new release"
had managed to cover that up, or else that Gmail's own
ongoing changes had corrected it.

But today with 8.52 (always identifying as Opera,
unless some internal file changes that for some sites),
now Gmail has found a new way to not work:

After successfully opening and reading one Inbox conversation,
I click "Archive," at which point the display of remaining
conversations in my Inbox resumes.

When I click other unread conversations, I get
"sending request to mail.google.com" at the bottom
of my screen, then that "progress bar" vanishes,
and I find myself still looking at my Inbox
conversations list, without any clicked conversation having opened,
and no further activity ever taking place.

This can go indefinitely (no other conversation can be opened at all),
until after I have clicked "refresh" and re-loaded the entire script
from Gmail again, which allows me to read one more conversation
and then archive it, then back to the same problem again.

Could be a Gmail mistake affecting Opera,
which perhaps they don't care about;
I'd have no way to tell if so.

I am very happy to use Opera for everything, if only I could.

Thanks.

John H Meyers

Mar 2, 2006, 5:38:59 AM3/2/06
More details noticed about Gmail (and 8.52):

o The Gmail script intercepts more keyboard combinations nowadays;
for example, Ctrl+S, which would normally mean "Save [As]"
to Opera, now acts like clicking Gmail's "Save now"
screen button while composing -- which is sort of useful,
since I absent-mindedly confuse Gmail with my normal
email client sometimes, and attempt Ctrl+S on Gmail :)

o Sometimes with that Gmail problem I just mentioned
(can't open additional conversations after archiving the first,
even though data gets sent and some response comes back from Gmail),
I may get 100% solid CPU usage, until I hit ESC or reload the page.

-[ ]-

John H Meyers

Mar 2, 2006, 4:09:22 PM3/2/06
Very recent new Gmail problem (non-opening conversations)
appears to have been noticed elsewhere,
does not seem due to Opera,
altho another Opera user found the same thing:

http://groups.google.com/group/Gmail-Problem-solving/browse_frm/thread/29f5a6ce785f8576

-[ ]-

John H Meyers

Mar 2, 2006, 10:13:00 PM3/2/06
Unfortunately I have to change my opinion
(that it isn't an Opera-related problem),
because with Firefox 1.5.0.1 there is *no* problem
reading any conversations at Gmail,
yet with Opera 8.52 it has now become
a very serious problem, with so many of my messages
that can not be opened at all, and
the problem is not fixed by deleting cache,
nor by using https (SSL) all the time.

Since it started very suddenly and recently to happen,
it could be caused by changes at Gmail,
but now Opera is quite unable to handle my Gmail at all,
while Firefox continues to work reliably all the time,
sorry to have to report.

Another user said (in thread below)
"I'm using Opera 8.52 for Macintosh.
The same problem does not happen in Safari."

And another said:
"I'm also using Opera 8.52. Windows XP Pro SP2"

Problem reported in Google Group about Gmail:
http://groups.google.com/group/Gmail-Problem-solving/browse_frm/thread/29f5a6ce785f8576

-[ ]-

John H Meyers

Mar 3, 2006, 9:04:09 PM3/3/06
The thread titled "Cant open unread messages" [using Opera 8.52]
is growing ever longer on Google's "Gmail-Problem-solving" group,
and an apparent moderator is simply dismissing it with the
"Gmail doesn't support Opera" FAQ:

http://groups.google.com/group/Gmail-Problem-solving/browse_frm/thread/29f5a6ce785f8576

As I said there,
I hope that between these two companies (Opera & Gmail),
technical contacts could resolve and fix what is wrong.

-[ ]-

djk

Mar 7, 2006, 7:19:43 PM3/7/06
In article <op.s5thv...@news.cis.dfn.de>, jhme...@miu.edu says...

> Unfortunately I have to change my opinion
> (that it isn't an Opera-related problem),
> because with Firefox 1.5.0.1 there is *no* problem

and the truely wierd thing about it is that Opera is free in most
part because of google search and then the two companies can not
get together to make using gmail a nice experience. just baffles me.