no video

1 view

swen

Jul 14, 2007, 3:40:59 AM7/14/07
can ne1 tell me why the video isnt working on this site and if there is a
way to fix it.
http://publish.vx.roo.com/sbs/portal/?channel=TDF+101&clipid=&bt=IE&bp=WIN&bst=OP&biec=false

FV

Jul 14, 2007, 8:06:17 AM7/14/07
swen <ne...@opera.no> schreef op Sat, 14 Jul 2007 09:40:59 +0200:

> can ne1 tell me why the video isnt working on this site and if there is
> a way to fix it.
> http://publish.vx.roo.com/sbs/portal/?channel=TDF+101&clipid=&bt=IE&bp=WIN&bst=OP&biec=false

Hard to tell, especially as that entire server doesn't seem to exist.

--
Fabian

Remco Lanting

Jul 14, 2007, 9:24:48 AM7/14/07

The server works fine here. The reason it doesn't work in Opera (and any
other browser other than IE) is that there is no embed tag, just an object
one:

<script type='text/javascript' language='javascript'>
G6_WriteHtml("<OBJECT id='videoFrame_Player'
classid='CLSID:6BF52A52-394A-11d3-B153-00C04F79FAA6' height='267px'
width='356px' type='application/x-oleobject' viewastext>");
G6_WriteHtml("<param name='autoStart' value='True'>");
G6_WriteHtml("<param name='uiMode' value='none'>");
G6_WriteHtml("<param name='URL' value=''>");
G6_WriteHtml("<param name='stretchToFit' value='true'>");
G6_WriteHtml("<param name='volume' value='100'>");
G6_WriteHtml("<param name='WindowlessVideo' value='true'>");
G6_WriteHtml("</OBJECT>");

In Firefox (and Safari) you get redirected to another page when you go
there. bt=IE is substituted for bt=NS for example. Doing that yourself
doesn't work because they use browser sniffing. Masking as Firefox in site
preferences[1] works though. I had some trouble with the text when I did
that, but you can watch the movie.

In the end, the only one that can really fix this is the site itself. I
suggest you contact them about this.

[1] Right click the page -> edit site preferences -> network tab -> set
dropdown to mask as firefox.
--
Remco Lanting

Richard Grevers

Jul 14, 2007, 6:40:26 PM7/14/07
On Sun, 15 Jul 2007 01:24:48 +1200, Remco Lanting
<remco....@no.spam.please.at.gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 14 Jul 2007 14:06:17 +0200, FV <F...@wanadoo.invalid> wrote:
>
>> swen <ne...@opera.no> schreef op Sat, 14 Jul 2007 09:40:59 +0200:
>>
>>> can ne1 tell me why the video isnt working on this site and if there
>>> is a way to fix it.
>>> http://publish.vx.roo.com/sbs/portal/?channel=TDF+101&clipid=&bt=IE&bp=WIN&bst=OP&biec=false
>>
>> Hard to tell, especially as that entire server doesn't seem to exist.
>>

> The server works fine here. The reason it doesn't work in Opera (and any
> other browser other than IE) is that there is no embed tag, just an
> object one:

That's not an accurate explanation: Opera and Mozilla both support object
pefectly well (it is a standard, whereas embed is non-standard 1990's
legacy stuff. What they are not supporting is that the object is being
prescriptive (using classid to specify that the browser must use a certain
activeX object) rather than descriptive (using the data attribute to
specify a meaningful MIME type and allowing the browser+OS determine how
to play it). The result is something that will work only on windows using
IE which has not been made safe for use on the internet.
Even IE understands object using MIME type, (for Flash content this became
known as the satay method) although to achieve streaming the content must
have a preloader which calls the main content.

Spartanicus

Jul 15, 2007, 4:06:32 AM7/15/07
"Richard Grevers" <newsr...@dramatic.co.nz> wrote:

>Opera and Mozilla both support object
>pefectly well (it is a standard, whereas embed is non-standard 1990's
>legacy stuff.

For certain use cases <embed> is now effectively preferred over
<object>, and <embed> has been standardised:
http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/multipage/section-embedded.html#the-embed
or for those who are under the illusion that only w3c can specify web
standards: http://www.w3.org/html/wg/html5/#the-embed

--
Spartanicus