paypal problem

1 view

Fritz Oppliger

Mar 25, 2008, 5:37:47 PM3/25/08

I tried purchasing an upgrade from Boxer Software. Filled in their form,
click the button to take me to PayPal which then says it can't find the
page, try again.
The URL is carrying some encrypted baggage that ties to the transaction /
session and possibly the browser.
I am speculating that this url is getting munged by Opera.
Identifying / masquerading as other browser does not seem to make a
difference.
With FireFox the same transaction proceeds without problem.
Same thing happened purchasing from Eltima Software.
9.26 8833 XP

if it were a firewall issue why would FF and Opera act differently??

--
Fritz

Ed Jay

Mar 25, 2008, 6:17:46 PM3/25/08
Fritz Oppliger scribed:

It's Paypal, not you. Or me. I haven't looked at their code, but you can bet
that if it works in IE, FF and Safari, but not Opera, they're limiting
access to the other browsers, but not (sniffle) Opera.
--
Ed Jay (remove 'M' to respond by email)

Message has been deleted

Ed Jay

Mar 25, 2008, 6:56:37 PM3/25/08
Hot Badger Deluxe scribed:

>I use PayPal regularly, and it works quite happily with Opera.

I can log in and use PP from its home page; however, if I'm forwarded to PP
to make a transaction, e.g., from eBay, I can't login., I get a Page not
Found error. OTOH, if I do the eBay thing with IE et al, when forwarded to
PP, I can login just fine.

ro...@invalid.net

Mar 25, 2008, 7:07:09 PM3/25/08
Ed Jay <ed...@aes-intl.com> wrote:

> I can log in and use PP from its home page; however, if I'm forwarded to PP
> to make a transaction, e.g., from eBay, I can't login., I get a Page not
> Found error. OTOH, if I do the eBay thing with IE et al, when forwarded to
> PP, I can login just fine.

Being forced to go into PayPal directly had also been happening to me
for a long time until a couple of weeks ago, when with 9.26 I was able
to go straight to it from the auction without the usual blockage
(sample of one).

Roger

Message has been deleted

Richard Grevers

Mar 25, 2008, 8:42:07 PM3/25/08
On Wed, 26 Mar 2008 09:37:47 +1200, Fritz Oppliger
<fritzatfri...@where.ever> wrote:

> I tried purchasing an upgrade from Boxer Software. Filled in their form,
> click the button to take me to PayPal which then says it can't find the
> page, try again.
> The URL is carrying some encrypted baggage that ties to the transaction
> / session and possibly the browser.
> I am speculating that this url is getting munged by Opera.
> Identifying / masquerading as other browser does not seem to make a
> difference.
> With FireFox the same transaction proceeds without problem.
> Same thing happened purchasing from Eltima Software.
> 9.26 8833 XP

Can you view the source of the final page on the merchant website (the one
with the button that will take you to paypal)?
Does it have a typical looking form with a dozen or more hidden variables
such as business, amount, lc, and so on, or does it include a very large
encrypted variable? I'm betting that the problem will be specific to the
latter, which is called EWP. Fortunately it isn't used as much as it
requires Java or Windoze server (a system requirement, incidentally, that
Paypal don't document very well - if implementing it for the first time
you tend to find out at about step 8 of 12 in their guide).

Fritz Oppliger

Mar 25, 2008, 8:32:47 PM3/25/08
On Tue, 25 Mar 2008 15:21:18 -0700, Hot Badger Deluxe
<water...@spamcop.org> wrote:

> On Tue, 25 Mar 2008 15:17:46 -0700, Ed Jay wrote:
>

> I use PayPal regularly, and it works quite happily with Opera.

I remember it working with PayPal too. And obviously it is still working
fine for many .

I tried pasting the URL picked up by Opera from the [proceed to PayPal]
button into FF and IE but got the same error. If anyone at Opera is
interested I'd be willing to run more tests .
I'm sure I could find a cooperative vendor site owner to do this.
Fritz

--
Fritz

Richard Grevers

Mar 25, 2008, 10:18:26 PM3/25/08

Paypal's sandbox system (https://developer.paypal.com) makes extensive
testing easy.

Fritz Oppliger

Mar 26, 2008, 12:08:46 AM3/26/08
On Tue, 25 Mar 2008 17:42:07 -0700, Richard Grevers
<newsr...@dramatic.co.nz> wrote:

> Can you view the source of the final page on the merchant website (the
> one with the button that will take you to paypal)?
> Does it have a typical looking form with a dozen or more hidden
> variables such as business, amount, lc, and so on, or does it include a
> very large encrypted variable? I'm betting that the problem will be
> specific to the latter, which is called EWP. Fortunately it isn't used
> as much as it requires Java or Windoze server (a system requirement,
> incidentally, that Paypal don't document very well - if implementing it
> for the first time you tend to find out at about step 8 of 12 in their
> guide).

the url is
http://www.boxersoftware.com/paypal.asp?link=111
curiously this is also the link that shows up when I hover over the
"continue to PayPal" button. This seems different from last time when
there was a bunch of encrypted data included.
When I fill in the form and click on that button it ends up at
https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=#

--
Fritz

Fritz Oppliger

Mar 26, 2008, 12:23:37 AM3/26/08
<newsr...@dramatic.co.nz> wrote:

> Can you view the source of the final page on the merchant website (the
> one with the button that will take you to paypal)?
> Does it have a typical looking form with a dozen or more hidden
> variables such as business, amount, lc, and so on, or does it include a
> very large encrypted variable? I'm betting that the problem will be
> specific to the latter, which is called EWP. Fortunately it isn't used
> as much as it requires Java or Windoze server (a system requirement,
> incidentally, that Paypal don't document very well - if implementing it
> for the first time you tend to find out at about step 8 of 12 in their
> guide).

Curiouser and curiouser
Filling in the form in Opera I get straight to PayPals' page not found.
over in FF, *NOT* filling in the form (clicking on the blank!) I go to
https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_flow&SESSION=pHiEVgETbQJynvgnaKJqA82-uwZaD_KbeNEtrVWyFqymm3VMrg8&dispatch=5885dffd380a13c0db1f822cfa2b248ee81f5414b61cc479aea36b1
(altered to protect the innocent) which ends up at PayPal login, knowing
who I am and what I am buying from whom for how much.
In both instances the source looks the same afaict

--
Fritz

Richard Grevers

Mar 26, 2008, 1:54:11 AM3/26/08

hmmmm. Have you compared cookies for paypal.com in the two browsers?