SHIFT-CMD-Click and CMD-Click

NM Public

Jun 24, 2006, 5:21:53 AM6/24/06
I use SHIFT-CMD-Click all the time to open a link in a background
tab. I'd like to edit my Opera shortcuts so that

CMD-Click

also does

Open in Background Tab

I've experimented with a lot of things in the Shortcuts > Browser
Window section of the Advanced Preferences but have not (yet)
been successful. Could someone post what I need to specify in
these fields:

Input context and shortcuts Actions

Thank you!
Nancy

--
Nancy McGough
Infinite Ink: <http://www.ii.com/>

exclipy

Jun 24, 2006, 6:09:25 AM6/24/06
> I'd like to edit my Opera shortcuts so that
>
> CMD-Click
>
> also does
>
> Open in Background Tab

I don't think this is possible.

Rijk van Geijtenbeek

Jun 24, 2006, 2:10:01 PM6/24/06
Op Sat, 24 Jun 2006 12:09:25 +0200 schreef exclipy <exc...@g.mail>:

>> I'd like to edit my Opera shortcuts so that
>>
>> CMD-Click
>>
>> also does
>>
>> Open in Background Tab
>
> I don't think this is possible.

Indeed, that's not possible. Opera users with a third mouse button will
find that 'middle-click' will also open a link in the background window.

--
Rijk

Opera Software ASA
QA etc

NM Public

Jun 25, 2006, 5:15:24 AM6/25/06

OK, thanks exclipy and Rijk. Is it possible to set up Opera so
that *any* single key, i.e.:

KEY-Click

will 'Open in Background Tab'?

I use a Mac PowerBook with no external mouse and I'm often
holding a cup in one hand and want to be able to open a link in a
background tab with one hand. Is this possible if one does not
have a third mouse button (I only have one mouse button thanks to
Apple).

Thank you,
Nancy

Rijk van Geijtenbeek

Jun 26, 2006, 10:41:34 AM6/26/06
On Sun, 25 Jun 2006 11:15:24 +0200, NM Public wrote:
> Rijk van Geijtenbeek wrote:

>>> I don't think this is possible.
>>
>> Indeed, that's not possible. Opera users with a third mouse button
>> will find that 'middle-click' will also open a link in the background
>> window.
>
> OK, thanks exclipy and Rijk. Is it possible to set up Opera so that
> *any* single key, i.e.:
>
> KEY-Click
>
> will 'Open in Background Tab'?

Nope, mouseclick actions can in general not be modified at the moment.
Only exception currently is the middle-click action on link, and mouse
gestures. You could use the existing mouse gesture 'down up' - but I don't
know if mousegestures can be made to work on a Mac PowerBook.

> I use a Mac PowerBook with no external mouse and I'm often holding a cup
> in one hand and want to be able to open a link in a background tab with
> one hand. Is this possible if one does not have a third mouse button (I
> only have one mouse button thanks to Apple).

One hand? That's quite hard in any browser, if you only have one mouse
button. You could use Shift+arrow keys to navigate to a link, then use the
context menu button (if Macs have one?), and select the 'open in
background' option.

--

Rijk van Geijtenbeek
Opera Software ASA, Documentation & QA

exclipy

Jun 26, 2006, 12:56:43 PM6/26/06
> I use a Mac PowerBook with no external mouse and I'm often holding a cup
> in one hand and want to be able to open a link in a background tab with
> one hand.

Yes when I'm one-handed on my laptop, I use spatial navigation and press
Ctrl-Shift-Enter on the link.

NM Public

Jun 27, 2006, 1:58:06 PM6/27/06
Sur 2006-06-26, Rijk van Geijtenbeek skribis:

> One hand? That's quite hard in any browser, if you only have
> one mouse button.

Actually it's very easy in SeaMonkey Suite and I do it all the
time. Coffee cup in one hand, CMD-Click with the other hand and
the link opens in a background tab. And I keep reading (with the
help of the spacebar) and drinking my coffee!

This is one of the main reasons I haven't switched to Opera. (*)

Thanks for the tips about mouse gestures, which I'll experiment
with later.

--Nancy

(*) The other reason is Opera's lack of a 'Send page by mail'
command.

John H Meyers

Jun 28, 2006, 1:17:41 AM6/28/06
On Tue, 27 Jun 2006 12:58:06 -0500 by nancy mcgough:

> Opera's lack of a 'Send page by mail' command.

"Send *link* by mail" [which Opera has]
-vs.-
"Send *page* by mail" ?

A "page" can now be rather huge, containing so many images,
Javascript, CSS, perhaps various ads and junk as well --
perhaps that's why Opera favors sending *links* instead.

Maybe if Opera had a "Save page as web archive, zip and mail" command,
that would satisfy everyone -- except that a "web archive"
is too new for everyone to be able to handle it upon receipt.

I just saved the Google main page as "Google.mht" and gave a look-see,
however, and it turns out that there are a lot of references to
127.0.0.1 in it -- the result of an ad-blocker, it turns out --
so anyone receiving any saved MHT files from me
would not be nearly as satisfied as they might be
with a one-line "Send *link* by mail" message
(maybe just a little more AI in this function
could help in sending truer URLs
when not reflected properly in the "address bar")

-[ ]-