Speed Dial as the home page?

Steve Thackery

Apr 9, 2008, 8:03:06 AM4/9/08

Is there any way I can make Speed Dial my home page? So when I press the
Home icon it brings up Speed Dial.

Alternatively, is there another single-click way to bring up Speed Dial in
the currently active tab?

At the moment I can only get to it by opening a new tab.

Thanks for any suggestions!

SteveT

Ted

Apr 9, 2008, 8:19:30 AM4/9/08
Uncheck "Allow Windows With No Tabs" and you'll get speed dial at
start up.

Ted

Steve Thackery

Apr 9, 2008, 9:59:16 AM4/9/08
Thanks for the comment, Ted.

In fact, "Allow Windows With No Tabs" is already unchecked.

It isn't so much the startup that matters, as an easy way of ditching the
current tab contents and going back to the Speed Dial.

What I mean is, suppose I've finished looking at a particular website,
currently open in one of the tabs. I'd now like to get rid of that website
and go back to the Speed Dial page.

At the moment I have to close the tab, and then open a new one (which
defaults to Speed Dial). I'm wondering if there is a single-click solution
to bringing up Speed Dial in the current tab. Alternatively, using the Home
button by (somehow) making Speed Dial the home page.

Have you used IE7 with IEPro? IEPro is a brilliant add-on for IE7, which
adds a "Speed Dial" feature to IE7. One of the best things about IE7 pro is
that it lets you set Speed Dial to be the home page. In other words,
pressing the Home icon brings up Speed Dial.

I was wondering if I could do the same thing in Opera.

Thanks again,

SteveT

Rijk van Geijtenbeek

Apr 9, 2008, 10:41:15 AM4/9/08
Op Wed, 09 Apr 2008 15:59:16 +0200 schreef Steve Thackery
<nob...@nowhere.com>:

You can use a custom button to activate speed dial:
http://my.opera.com/toman/blog/show.dml/788600

Or you can click the 'rewind' button a few times to go back to it,
assuming you started the tab with speed dial.

--

Rijk van Geijtenbeek
Opera Software ASA, Documentation & QA

"The most common way to get usability wrong is to listen to what users
say rather than actually watching what they do." -- J.Nielsen

Heinrich Moser

Apr 9, 2008, 12:05:02 PM4/9/08
"Steve Thackery" <nob...@nowhere.com> writes:
> It isn't so much the startup that matters, as an easy way of ditching
> the current tab contents and going back to the Speed Dial.
>
> What I mean is, suppose I've finished looking at a particular website,
> currently open in one of the tabs. I'd now like to get rid of that
> website and go back to the Speed Dial page.
>
> At the moment I have to close the tab, and then open a new one (which
> defaults to Speed Dial). I'm wondering if there is a single-click
> solution to bringing up Speed Dial in the current tab. Alternatively,
> using the Home button by (somehow) making Speed Dial the home page.

You could use mouse gestures; it's not single-click, but still very
fast: down-right to close the tab, down to open a new one. For me,
it's faster than moving the mouse up to the "home" button.

Greetings,
Heinzi

Steve Thackery

Apr 9, 2008, 1:11:31 PM4/9/08
> You can use a custom button to activate speed dial:
> http://my.opera.com/toman/blog/show.dml/788600

Ah!! Just the job. I've put it next to my Home button.

Now I must see if I can work out how to give it an icon, rather than just
the text 'Speed dial'.

Thanks!

Steve

Steve Thackery

Apr 9, 2008, 1:13:36 PM4/9/08
> You could use mouse gestures; it's not single-click, but still very
> fast: down-right to close the tab, down to open a new one. For me,
> it's faster than moving the mouse up to the "home" button.

I'm not a great user of mouse gestures (apart from the wonderful
hold-down-left, click-right and its partner), but you are right - your
method would be very quick.

I'll give it a go.

Thanks,

Steve