Too much reloading and rerendering

S.V. Groeneveld

Nov 20, 2006, 8:58:17 AM11/20/06
Opera seems to be reloading and re-rendering pages way too often,
especially when navigating back to the previous page in history. It's
really terrible...

For example: http://www.curse-gaming.com/en/
Click on any link (eg. "Latest addons" or one of the screenshots halfway
down the page) and when that page has loaded, click the Back button and
watch Opera reload the entire page.

And this happens on many other sites and forums...
http://www.wow-europe.com/en/
http://forums.wow-europe.com/board.html?forumId=10001&sid=1 (open a
thread and go back)

In the history settings it says Opera checks for new documents/images
every 5 hours, but I have never found out how it uses this setting...

How can I solve this, besides using Firefox?

Eik

Nov 20, 2006, 9:17:30 AM11/20/06
On Mon, 20 Nov 2006 13:58:17 -0000, S.V. Groeneveld <ma...@no.spam> wrote:

> For example: http://www.curse-gaming.com/en/
> Click on any link (eg. "Latest addons" or one of the screenshots halfway
> down the page) and when that page has loaded, click the Back button and
> watch Opera reload the entire page.

Not here. I click back and it appears instantly without so much as the
progress bar appearing.

There are no HTTP headers specifying an sxpiry date or time, nor any cache
control headers (all of which would override that 5-hour setting in
Opera's preferences).

Ted S.

Nov 20, 2006, 10:58:47 AM11/20/06
Somebody claiming to be Eik <sp...@hotmail.com> wrote at Mon, 20 Nov
2006 14:17:30 GMT:

> On Mon, 20 Nov 2006 13:58:17 -0000, S.V. Groeneveld <ma...@no.spam>
> wrote:
>
>> For example: http://www.curse-gaming.com/en/
>> Click on any link (eg. "Latest addons" or one of the screenshots
>> halfway down the page) and when that page has loaded, click the
>> Back button and watch Opera reload the entire page.
>
> Not here. I click back and it appears instantly without so much as
> the progress bar appearing.

I have the same problem as the OP, notably on the page
<http://timesfour.com/eve/forums/a/frm/f/938109321>.

Windows 98SE, O9.02

--
Ted <fedya at bestweb dot net>
TV Announcer: It's 11:00. Do you know where your children are?

Jonathan A.

Nov 20, 2006, 11:06:37 AM11/20/06
On Mon, 20 Nov 2006 14:58:17 +0100, S.V. Groeneveld
<ma...@no.spam> appears to have said:

> For example: http://www.curse-gaming.com/en/
> Click on any link (eg. "Latest addons" or one of the screenshots halfway
> down the page) and when that page has loaded, click the Back button and
> watch Opera reload the entire page.

<snip>

> How can I solve this, besides using Firefox?

My first guess is that it's your setting for history navigation mode.
Check: <opera:config#UserPrefs|HistoryNavigationMode> and see what the
setting is. When I set it to "2" (force compatible mode) I get the
behavior you describe. I run with history navigation mode set to "3,"
which forces "fast" mode, but you should be aware that "fast" mode could
cause unexpected results when using the back button on some sites:

<http://www.opera.com/support/search/supsearch.dml?index=827>

Default is "1" or automatic detection of the appropritate mode.

HTH,
Jonathan

--
Don't just hit reply. Email address is broken. Thank
your friendly neighborhood spammer. Email replies to:

Eik

Nov 20, 2006, 11:15:00 AM11/20/06
On Mon, 20 Nov 2006 15:58:47 -0000, Ted S. <fe...@bestweb.spam> wrote:

> I have the same problem as the OP, notably on the page
> <http://timesfour.com/eve/forums/a/frm/f/938109321>.

Again, it displayed instantly for me when I clicked on a message link and
then used the back button, and there's nothing in the HTTP header to
affect caching. Are you going through any kind of remote proxy server or a
personal firewall/proxy that could be messing with the page?

Also, have you installed Opera in single or multi user mode? I seem to
remember some bug related to caching or remembering visited addresses when
Opera 9 is installed in single-user mode so perhaps that has something to
do with this, though I would have thought something like this would affect
all URLs rather than some.

tom

Nov 20, 2006, 3:17:19 PM11/20/06
So what does "+++1" mean here? That's wha my default setting is...

-tom

> On Mon, 20 Nov 2006 14:58:17 +0100, S.V. Groeneveld
> <ma...@no.spam> appears to have said:
>
>> For example: http://www.curse-gaming.com/en/
>> Click on any link (eg. "Latest addons" or one of the screenshots halfway
>> down the page) and when that page has loaded, click the Back button and
>> watch Opera reload the entire page.
>>

> <snip>
>
>> How can I solve this, besides using Firefox?
>
> My first guess is that it's your setting for history navigation mode.
> Check: <opera:config#UserPrefs|HistoryNavigationMode> and see what the
> setting is. When I set it to "2" (force compatible mode) I get the
> behavior you describe. I run with history navigation mode set to "3,"
> which forces "fast" mode, but you should be aware that "fast" mode could
> cause unexpected results when using the back button on some sites:
>
> <http://www.opera.com/support/search/supsearch.dml?index=827>
>
> Default is "1" or automatic detection of the appropritate mode.
>
> HTH,
> Jonathan

S.V. Groeneveld

Nov 20, 2006, 5:37:23 PM11/20/06
On Mon, 20 Nov 2006 17:06:37 +0100, Jonathan A. <inv...@example.net>
wrote:

> My first guess is that it's your setting for history navigation mode.
> Check: <opera:config#UserPrefs|HistoryNavigationMode> and see what the
> setting is. When I set it to "2" (force compatible mode) I get the
> behavior you describe. I run with history navigation mode set to "3,"
> which forces "fast" mode, but you should be aware that "fast" mode could
> cause unexpected results when using the back button on some sites:
>
> <http://www.opera.com/support/search/supsearch.dml?index=827>
>
> Default is "1" or automatic detection of the appropritate mode.

It was set to '1' here, so I changed it to '3' and indeed the back button
now instantly repaints the previous page. Apparently 'automatic detection'
decides to reload the entire page everywhere :s

Anyway, thanks for your help, without your nudge I'd never have found this
setting :)

Jonathan A.

Nov 20, 2006, 6:26:27 PM11/20/06
On Mon, 20 Nov 2006 12:17:19 -0800, tom
<no...@no.net> appears to have said:

> So what does "+++1" mean here? That's wha my default setting is...

Beats me. Maybe character set issue or something? It should be one of:

1. Automatic
2. "Compatible"
3. "Fast"

I tried setting it to "+++1" here and, upon restart of Opera, it was
reset to "1" <shrug>

Jonathan A.

Nov 20, 2006, 6:26:27 PM11/20/06
On Mon, 20 Nov 2006 23:37:23 +0100, S.V. Groeneveld

<ma...@no.spam> appears to have said:

> It was set to '1' here, so I changed it to '3' and indeed the back button
> now instantly repaints the previous page. Apparently 'automatic detection'
> decides to reload the entire page everywhere :s

Hm. That page works without the relaoding issue here when history nav
mode is set to "1" (Opera 9.02 Linux).

Just remember, as the opera KB article says:

Occasionally, some pages rely on scripts being able to detect when
you load and unload pages using scripts, but these cannot detect fast
history navigation.

I can't say as I've come across any pages that break for me but, as
always, YMMV.

> Anyway, thanks for your help, without your nudge I'd never have found
> this setting :)

No problem. It is a bit on the obscure side. You'd never know it was
there if you didn't know it was there. :)

Richard Grevers

Nov 21, 2006, 1:27:38 AM11/21/06

I take it you don't have a Gmail account then :-) (It hangs if you hit
back without the rerunning of scripts enabled)

Spartanicus

Nov 21, 2006, 3:34:01 AM11/21/06
"S.V. Groeneveld" <ma...@no.spam> wrote:

>> My first guess is that it's your setting for history navigation mode.
>> Check: <opera:config#UserPrefs|HistoryNavigationMode> and see what the
>> setting is. When I set it to "2" (force compatible mode) I get the
>> behavior you describe. I run with history navigation mode set to "3,"
>> which forces "fast" mode, but you should be aware that "fast" mode could
>> cause unexpected results when using the back button on some sites:
>>
>> <http://www.opera.com/support/search/supsearch.dml?index=827>
>>
>> Default is "1" or automatic detection of the appropritate mode.
>>

>It was set to '1' here, so I changed it to '3' and indeed the back button
>now instantly repaints the previous page. Apparently 'automatic detection'
>decides to reload the entire page everywhere :s

FWIW, the test cases you mentioned do not reload here using the back
feature. I verified this by looking at the HTTP headers, nothing is
retrieved, yet my installation of 9.10 build 8649 has
opera:config#UserPrefs|HistoryNavigationMode set at the default "1".

--
Spartanicus

Richard Grevers

Nov 21, 2006, 4:48:46 AM11/21/06
On Tue, 21 Nov 2006 21:34:01 +1300, Spartanicus <inv...@invalid.invalid>
wrote:

That's because HistoryNavigationMode isn't about forcing reload from the
server, its about firing all onload events and running all javascripts
when you navigate to a page in history. (I've been requesting this
capability for about 4 years because I was sick of Opera breaking on pages
where executing page event scripts without the onload scripts having run
produced results never dreamed of by the authors - e.g. menus marching off
the screen).

Spartanicus

Nov 21, 2006, 6:13:37 AM11/21/06
"Richard Grevers" <newsr...@dramatic.co.nz> wrote:

>> FWIW, the test cases you mentioned do not reload here using the back
>> feature. I verified this by looking at the HTTP headers, nothing is
>> retrieved, yet my installation of 9.10 build 8649 has
>> opera:config#UserPrefs|HistoryNavigationMode set at the default "1".
>>
>That's because HistoryNavigationMode isn't about forcing reload from the
>server, its about firing all onload events and running all javascripts
>when you navigate to a page in history. (I've been requesting this
>capability for about 4 years because I was sick of Opera breaking on pages
>where executing page event scripts without the onload scripts having run
>produced results never dreamed of by the authors - e.g. menus marching off
>the screen).

Thanks for the clarification.

Could you elaborate on the advantages and disadvantages of (re)executing
JS when navigating back, how other browsers do this, and what you
recommend as the default setting?

I'm not really JS literate, I would have guessed that executing JS
onload events should only occur after an actual page load (as in page
retrieval from server), afaics navigating back doesn't do that.

--
Spartanicus

S.V. Groeneveld

Nov 21, 2006, 9:20:02 AM11/21/06

FYI, I do have a Gmail account, but never use the web-interface.

But lately I got quite used having to hit F5 after navigating back (thus
waiting *twice* for the page to reload). The menu's on the left side at
http://www.wow-europe.com/en/ only come to life when the page is fully
loaded, but when navigating back to this page they remain dead. At least,
when using the "1" setting...

S.V. Groeneveld

Nov 21, 2006, 9:29:17 AM11/21/06
On Tue, 21 Nov 2006 09:34:01 +0100, Spartanicus <inv...@invalid.invalid>
wrote:

Yes, from others I already learned this worked fine with the default "1".
And I have no clue why this works for most people, but not here... I just
tried setting it back to "1" but then the old behaviour simply returns,
pages reloading (or rather rerendering)... And I tested it on 2 different
systems, one running the latest beta (8653), and one running Opera 9.0
(8501). Both suffer badly from the default setting...

Ted S.

Nov 21, 2006, 10:27:33 AM11/21/06
Somebody claiming to be Eik <sp...@hotmail.com> wrote at Mon, 20 Nov
2006 16:15:00 GMT:

> Again, it displayed instantly for me when I clicked on a message link
> and then used the back button, and there's nothing in the HTTP
> header to affect caching. Are you going through any kind of remote
> proxy server or a personal firewall/proxy that could be messing with
> the page?

Not that I know of, although I suppose the ISP could have set up some sort
of proxy.

> Also, have you installed Opera in single or multi user mode? I seem
> to remember some bug related to caching or remembering visited
> addresses when Opera 9 is installed in single-user mode so perhaps
> that has something to do with this, though I would have thought
> something like this would affect all URLs rather than some.

Single-user mode. And I've also noticed that the page in question
mysteriously disappears from the History panel at times. However, I don't
normally notice the caching problem on other URLs that I visit regularly.

Richard Grevers

Nov 21, 2006, 12:41:15 PM11/21/06
On Wed, 22 Nov 2006 00:13:37 +1300, Spartanicus <inv...@invalid.invalid>
wrote:

> "Richard Grevers" <newsr...@dramatic.co.nz> wrote:
>
>>> FWIW, the test cases you mentioned do not reload here using the back
>>> feature. I verified this by looking at the HTTP headers, nothing is
>>> retrieved, yet my installation of 9.10 build 8649 has
>>> opera:config#UserPrefs|HistoryNavigationMode set at the default "1".
>>>
>> That's because HistoryNavigationMode isn't about forcing reload from the
>> server, its about firing all onload events and running all javascripts
>> when you navigate to a page in history. (I've been requesting this
>> capability for about 4 years because I was sick of Opera breaking on
>> pages
>> where executing page event scripts without the onload scripts having run
>> produced results never dreamed of by the authors - e.g. menus marching
>> off
>> the screen).
>
> Thanks for the clarification.
>
> Could you elaborate on the advantages and disadvantages of (re)executing
> JS when navigating back, how other browsers do this, and what you
> recommend as the default setting?

um, other browsers have always reexecuted scripts on history navigation,
which is why Opera has always been faster at traversing history. So I
think that's why Opera were reluctant to fix it until GMail came along.
(Gmail uses multiple frames swapped in and out of view via Javascript). So
I think Opera has developed a set of heuristics which try to determine
whether a page can get away with "fast-back" or need a full reset - which
equates to seting 1.
Setting 3 will make Opera behave more like Opera 8 - faster but with a few
sites broken.
Maybe this should be worked into site-specific preferences.

> I'm not really JS literate, I would have guessed that executing JS
> onload events should only occur after an actual page load (as in page
> retrieval from server), afaics navigating back doesn't do that.

Unfortunately its too easy to write scripts where something that should be
done in an onload script - e.g. setting the position of a menu - is done
at the start of a non-onload script - resulting in the offset being
doubled if you go back to the page. IE and Mozilla don't show the problem
so it probably doesn't get noticed by the author. On one of my sites,
using a JS library, navigating back in Opera showed the menu that you had
clicked to go forward still open, and the only way to stop it covering the
content was to hit reload. We managed to script around that in
consultation with the author, but in a way that caused IE5 to leak memory
;-)
Its one of those "Opera can't make everyone fix their sites" situations.

Lee Harvey

Nov 21, 2006, 11:41:08 PM11/21/06

I suspect you may be experiencing a few things on that site: ads, plug-in
conetn caching, or remote AJAX content loaded.

As such, try going to Tools> Preferences> Advanced tab> Content section>
click the "Blocked content..." button> then click "Add..." and enter the
following separate entries for that site:

http://*.intellitxt.com/*
http://*/advertising/*
http://*adserver.com/*
http://*casalemedia.com/*
http://*google-analytics.com/__utm.gif*
http://*googlesyndication.com/*

After I performed the steps above in a clean install of Opera 9.02, the Back
performance on that site was extremely snappy -- even with the default of
"1" for that opera:config#UserPrefs|HistoryNavigationMode setting.

Enjoy.

Lee Harvey

Nov 21, 2006, 11:53:07 PM11/21/06
Lee Harvey wrote:
> As such, try going to Tools> Preferences> Advanced tab> Content section>
> click the "Blocked content..." button> then click "Add..." and enter the
> following separate entries for that site:

Follow-up:

After perusing the site, I found another to block:

http://*/RealMedia/ads/*

HTH

Rick Onanian

Nov 23, 2006, 9:17:51 PM11/23/06
On Mon, 20 Nov 2006 08:58:17 -0500, S.V. Groeneveld <ma...@no.spam> wrote:
> Opera seems to be reloading and re-rendering pages way too often,
> especially when navigating back to the previous page in history. It's
> really terrible...

I just read the whole thread and wonder this: Isn't that what the "redraw
after X seconds" option is for? Preferences -> Advanced -> Browsing ->

S.V. Groeneveld

Nov 23, 2006, 9:56:52 PM11/23/06

No.
When navigating back, the page (which is in cache) should be always
displayed instantly, but instead it reloads and redraws.

The option you're referring to is merely a cosmetic thing; it allows you
to prevent displaying a half loaded page with shifting tables and images.

S.V. Groeneveld

Dec 29, 2006, 4:38:28 PM12/29/06

I recently did a fresh install of Opera 9.10 and reconfigured everything
manually, and found out that the default option is still the
slow-and-sluggish "1", which only seems to be slow-and-sluggish for some
poor souls like me... ;)

I was wondering, does anyone from Opera have *any* clue what is causing
this behaviour, and especially why it differs for others? It took me quite
some time to figure out what setting to adjust, and what value to set it
to...