Epson site problem

1 view

A.nony.mouse

Jan 17, 2008, 2:06:06 AM1/17/08
Hi,i was checking the Australian Epson site for any updated Printer
drivers when i got to this page
http://tech.epson.com.au/downloads/category.asp?sCategory=Multi_Functional&id=styluscx5500&EmailAdd=&CanEmail=&SelOS=Y&MetricIDReturned=1915692&sCategory1=Multi_Functional
This should take me to to actual drivers to download but instead it takes
me back to the initial support page.I tried with firefox and Safari and
both go to the correct page however Opera 9.25 dosnt,can ne1 tell me what
the problem is so that i can email Epson about the problem.

I was checking for Epson CX5500 multifunction drivers for WinXP

gregg

Jan 17, 2008, 6:18:35 AM1/17/08
On Thu, 17 Jan 2008 01:06:06 -0600, A.nony.mouse <r...@mousetrap.ga> wrote:

> Hi,i was checking the Australian Epson site for any updated Printer
> drivers when i got to this page
> http://tech.epson.com.au/downloads/category.asp?sCategory=Multi_Functional&id=styluscx5500&EmailAdd=&CanEmail=&SelOS=Y&MetricIDReturned=1915692&sCategory1=Multi_Functional
> This should take me to to actual drivers to download but instead it
> takes me back to the initial support page.I tried with firefox and
> Safari and both go to the correct page however Opera 9.25 dosnt,can ne1
> tell me what the problem is so that i can email Epson about the problem.
>
> I was checking for Epson CX5500 multifunction drivers for WinXP

Confirmed. I went round and round in circles. Opera 2.25

Andrew Gregory

Jan 18, 2008, 9:09:26 AM1/18/08
On Thu, 17 Jan 2008 20:18:35 +0900, gregg <gr...@nospamsaneearth.org>
wrote:

The problem is that on the next page (Downloads - Epson Product Drivers
and Utilities) which has just the single Continue button, they are
unintentionally using some new WebForms2 syntax that only Opera currently
supports.

Technical explanation: The form control specifies that the "get" method is
used to pass form information to the server. WebForms2 allows for
individual form submission buttons to override that and specify a
different method, such as "post". That's what is happening on the Epson
page. The problem is that all other non-Opera browsers don't understand
the button overriding feature, and so submit the form using the "get"
method. Opera, however, sees the override and uses the "post" method -
just like the page tells it to. The Epson server only understands the
"get" method for that page and so sees no data from Opera and restarts the
process.

Specifically, the problem code is:

<input type="submit" id="continue" value="Continue &gt;&gt;" method="post"
class="button" />

The correct code should be:

<input type="submit" id="continue" value="Continue &gt;&gt;"
class="button" />

If I could find some Epson contacts related to their web site I would have
contacted them months ago.

HTH,
--
Andrew Gregory

A.nony.mouse

Jan 18, 2008, 4:19:42 PM1/18/08
On Sat, 19 Jan 2008 01:09:26 +1100, Andrew Gregory
<and...@no.spam.scss.com.au.invalid> wrote:

> The form control specifies that the "get" method is used to pass form
> information to the server. WebForms2 allows for individual form
> submission buttons to override that and specify a different method, such
> as "post". That's what is happening on the Epson page. The problem is
> that all other non-Opera browsers don't understand the button overriding
> feature, and so submit the form using the "get" method. Opera, however,
> sees the override and uses the "post" method - just like the page tells
> it to. The Epson server only understands the "get" method for that page
> and so sees no data from Opera and restarts the process.
> Specifically, the problem code is:
> <input type="submit" id="continue" value="Continue &gt;&gt;"
> method="post" class="button" />
> The correct code should be:
> <input type="submit" id="continue" value="Continue &gt;&gt;"
> class="button" />

Thankz Andrew i have notified Epson of the problem