I really hate speed dial

Matthew Winn

Mar 2, 2007, 11:04:29 AM3/2/07
Useful for some, I guess, but there are currently 18 pages I use
regularly so it's worthless for me. Not to mention that I really
don't want Opera to give me a picture of the page.

I have a shortcut set up to open a new tab and go to my own page of
quick links that does the same sort of thing without the annoyance
of thumbnails, but even with speed dial switched off, when I open a
new blank tab it has the wrong UI style: it looks like an immense
button with no text instead of a blank page. There needs to be some
way of disabling speed dial completely, _including_ getting blank
pages to follow UI conventions.

(To me, a large blank button means "The programmer screwed up and
the system is about to die". I've seen more than a few of these
and they always make me panic.)

--
Matthew Winn
[If replying by email remove the "r" from "urk"]

Spartanicus

Mar 2, 2007, 11:29:13 AM3/2/07
Matthew Winn <o*@matthewwinn.me.urk> wrote:

>There needs to be some
>way of disabling speed dial completely, _including_ getting blank
>pages to follow UI conventions.

I read the release notes of the latest beta and decided that it had
nothing to offer that I was interested in, trusting that I would be able
to switch it off if I later wanted to upgrade.

Here's hoping that the "button" when SD is disabled is one of the issues
referred to in "Several skin and display problems." issues list item.

--
Spartanicus

Tim Altman

Mar 2, 2007, 1:27:18 PM3/2/07
On Fri, 2 Mar 2007 16:04:29 +0000 (UTC), Matthew Winn
<o*@matthewwinn.me.urk> wrote:

[...]

>I have a shortcut set up to open a new tab and go to my own page of
>quick links that does the same sort of thing without the annoyance
>of thumbnails, but even with speed dial switched off, when I open a
>new blank tab it has the wrong UI style: it looks like an immense
>button with no text instead of a blank page.

I don't follow. If Speed Dial is off, you should get a blank page
before, though there will be a "Show Speed Dial" button in the lower
right corner. Is that not the case?

--
Tim Altman
Core QA

DynaBMan

Mar 2, 2007, 10:17:44 PM3/2/07
On Fri, 02 Mar 2007 12:27:18 -0600, Tim Altman <do....@spam.me.invalid> wrote:

> On Fri, 2 Mar 2007 16:04:29 +0000 (UTC), Matthew Winn
> <o*@matthewwinn.me.urk> wrote:
>
> [...]
>
>> I have a shortcut set up to open a new tab and go to my own page of
>> quick links that does the same sort of thing without the annoyance
>> of thumbnails, but even with speed dial switched off, when I open a
>> new blank tab it has the wrong UI style: it looks like an immense
>> button with no text instead of a blank page.
>
> I don't follow. If Speed Dial is off, you should get a blank page
> before, though there will be a "Show Speed Dial" button in the lower
> right corner. Is that not the case?

That is what I am getting when Speed Dial is turned off. Just a button in the lower right hand corner to turn it back on.

--
LJ
My best friend is my wife!!

Matthew Winn

Mar 3, 2007, 3:13:33 AM3/3/07
On Fri, 02 Mar 2007 13:27:18 -0500, Tim Altman <do....@spam.me.invalid> wrote:
> On Fri, 2 Mar 2007 16:04:29 +0000 (UTC), Matthew Winn
> <o*@matthewwinn.me.urk> wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> >I have a shortcut set up to open a new tab and go to my own page of
> >quick links that does the same sort of thing without the annoyance
> >of thumbnails, but even with speed dial switched off, when I open a
> >new blank tab it has the wrong UI style: it looks like an immense
> >button with no text instead of a blank page.
>
> I don't follow. If Speed Dial is off, you should get a blank page
> before, though there will be a "Show Speed Dial" button in the lower
> right corner. Is that not the case?

A normal blank page looks like exactly what it is: a page that is
blank. An 8732 blank page looks like a huge button with no content.
Not only is this against UI conventions, but it instills a brief
period of panic in me because usually when I see something like that
it means that the application has tried to display a dialog, the
system has managed to lose track of what it's doing, and the entire
machine is on the point of falling over and going boom.

Blank page in 8713: http://i18.tinypic.com/4d1s0tl.png
Blank page in 8732: http://i18.tinypic.com/2cgfxvb.png

It's confusing to have blank pages that don't look like blank pages:
by putting up a great block that's styled like a button or toolbar
it gives the impression you have to enable speed dial in order to do
anything.

Also, let me add my voice to those calling for the return of the start
bar.

Rijk van Geijtenbeek

Mar 3, 2007, 6:31:08 AM3/3/07
Op Sat, 03 Mar 2007 09:13:33 +0100 schreef Matthew Winn
<o*@matthewwinn.me.urk>:

..

> A normal blank page looks like exactly what it is: a page that is
> blank. An 8732 blank page looks like a huge button with no content.
> Not only is this against UI conventions, but it instills a brief
> period of panic in me because usually when I see something like that
> it means that the application has tried to display a dialog, the
> system has managed to lose track of what it's doing, and the entire
> machine is on the point of falling over and going boom.
>
> Blank page in 8713: http://i18.tinypic.com/4d1s0tl.png
> Blank page in 8732: http://i18.tinypic.com/2cgfxvb.png

It would have helped if you told right away what skin you are using... :)

This display depends on the skin. I see this happens with some of the
'native' skins I have, but not all. Not Windows Native for example.

> It's confusing to have blank pages that don't look like blank pages:
> by putting up a great block that's styled like a button or toolbar
> it gives the impression you have to enable speed dial in order to do
> anything.

I suppose the skins can be fixed easily by changing/adding these values in
skin.ini in the skin zip:

[Options]
Fallback foreground = 1
Fallback background = 1

but there is no functional difference.

--
Rijk
Opera Software, QA etc...

Marek Mänd

Mar 3, 2007, 9:48:11 AM3/3/07
On Fri, 02 Mar 2007 18:29:13 +0200, Spartanicus <inv...@invalid.invalid>
wrote:

> Matthew Winn <o*@matthewwinn.me.urk> wrote:
>> There needs to be some
>> way of disabling speed dial completely, _including_ getting blank
>> pages to follow UI conventions.

> I read the release notes of the latest beta and decided that it had
> nothing to offer that I was interested in, trusting that I would be able
> to switch it off if I later wanted to upgrade.

That latest beta offers you that valuable, that you lose your search
engine definitions =D
As I read that I stopped downloading the beta immidiately...

--
Marek Mänd
Tallinn, Estonia

Marek Mänd

Mar 3, 2007, 9:54:47 AM3/3/07
On Sat, 03 Mar 2007 10:13:33 +0200, Matthew Winn <o*@matthewwinn.me.urk>
wrote:

> Also, let me add my voice to those calling for the return of the start
> bar.

The start bar is gone?
I had opinion form the beginning that people dont like it =D

Tim Altman

Mar 5, 2007, 10:29:08 AM3/5/07
On Sat, 03 Mar 2007 16:48:11 +0200, Marek Mänd <cador...@mail.ee>
wrote:

Actually, the release notes are incorrect: your search.ini won't be
overwritten.

Rijk van Geijtenbeek

Mar 5, 2007, 4:19:44 PM3/5/07
Op Sat, 03 Mar 2007 12:31:08 +0100 schreef Rijk van Geijtenbeek
<ri...@opera.removethis.com>:

> Op Sat, 03 Mar 2007 09:13:33 +0100 schreef Matthew Winn:

> ..
>
>> A normal blank page looks like exactly what it is: a page that is
>> blank. An 8732 blank page looks like a huge button with no content.

..

> I suppose the skins can be fixed easily by changing/adding these values
> in skin.ini in the skin zip:
>
> [Options]
> Fallback foreground = 1
> Fallback background = 1
>
> but there is no functional difference.

BTW, we do have a bug report on this issue. (250420)

Matthew Winn

Mar 7, 2007, 9:15:27 AM3/7/07
On Mon, 05 Mar 2007 22:19:44 +0100, Rijk van Geijtenbeek <ri...@opera.removethis.com> wrote:
> Op Sat, 03 Mar 2007 12:31:08 +0100 schreef Rijk van Geijtenbeek
> <ri...@opera.removethis.com>:
>
> > Op Sat, 03 Mar 2007 09:13:33 +0100 schreef Matthew Winn:
> >
> >> A normal blank page looks like exactly what it is: a page that is
> >> blank. An 8732 blank page looks like a huge button with no content.
>
> > I suppose the skins can be fixed easily by changing/adding these values
> > in skin.ini in the skin zip:
> >
> > [Options]
> > Fallback foreground = 1
> > Fallback background = 1
> >
> > but there is no functional difference.
>
> BTW, we do have a bug report on this issue. (250420)

Great. Thanks.

I'm not sure exactly what skin I'm using. It was the system skin
from an old version of Opera, before the buttons went all large and
coloured and simpleton-friendly. (I hate buttons that look like they
belong on a child's toy.)

Gianao

Mar 9, 2007, 3:16:51 AM3/9/07
On Sat, 03 Mar 2007 15:54:47 +0100, Marek Mänd <cador...@mail.ee> wrote:

> The start bar is gone?
> I had opinion form the beginning that people dont like it =D

Ok, but give my Ctrl+1 shortcut back