another spectacular rendering regression

rm

Oct 27, 2005, 4:24:55 AM10/27/05
hi,

see http://sebastienguillon.com/ , a french Opera fan and web designer
specialized in creating standards-based web sites :-)

differences between Opera 8.5 and 9 are spectacular !

@+
--
rm

sebastie...@gmail.com

Oct 27, 2005, 5:47:01 AM10/27/05

I'm the author of http://sebastienguillon.com/

This is not per se a rendering issue. The problem arises from Opera
using only the last style sheet I declare in my stylesheets XML PI.

Let me explain what I've gathered so far:
First, I serve my pages with the MIME type application/xhtml+xml to
competent browsers. In those instances stylesheets are declared with
XML Processing Instructions.

There are several stylesheets : 1 permanent, 1 default and 5 alternate.

What seems to happen with Opera 9.0 Preview 1 (build 8031) is that
Opera only finds the last stylesheet.

I made a test and removed the last stylesheet and then Opera found the
new last stylesheet...

I also tried serving the page as text/html in which case stylesheets
are declared with link elements. In this case the site is displayed
with the default stylesheet are the rendering is absolutely the same as
ever.

I also checked with Laurent Denis' example at
http://test.blog-and-blues.org/styles/xml-stylesheet.php

and I observed the same Opera 9 behavior.

Let me know if you have any info on why the problem occurs and if it's
a know bug.

Thanks,

Sébastien Guillon

Kostia Romanov

Oct 27, 2005, 12:49:27 PM10/27/05
to sebastie...@gmail.com
27.10.05 в 16:47 в своём письме писал(а):

>> see http://sebastienguillon.com/ , a french Opera fan and web designer
>> specialized in creating standards-based web sites :-)
>>
>> differences between Opera 8.5 and 9 are spectacular !
>
> Hi,
>
> I'm the author of http://sebastienguillon.com/

[]
Try to go to site, get error:
XML parsing failed: syntax error (Line: 106, Character: 27)
105: <!ENTITY % xhtml-framework.module "INCLUDE" >
106: <![%xhtml-framework.module;***[*** — red.
107: <!ENTITY % xhtml-framework.mod

--
* Kostia Romanov (aka Kildor)
Написано в M2 — почтовом клиенте браузера Opera 9.0 (8031):

Rijk van Geijtenbeek

Oct 27, 2005, 5:50:34 PM10/27/05

The page doesn't even want to laod here, it seems to hang Opera. Could you
file a bug report?

--
Get Opera 8 now! Speed, Security and Simplicity.
http://my.opera.com/Rijk/affiliate/

Rijk van Geijtenbeek
Opera Software ASA, Documentation & QA
Tweak: http://my.opera.com/Rijk/blog/

sebastie...@gmail.com

Oct 27, 2005, 11:45:53 PM10/27/05
To Kostia and Rijk,

I haven't observed Opera 9 hanging on my site.

What it does is compute all XML PI stylesheets and applies the whole to
the page.

I have a test case here:
http://sebastienguillon.com/test/Opera9/preview1/alternate-xml-stylesheets.xhtml

This bug with XML alternate stylesheets has been filed by Tim Altman
(his test case : http://timaltman.com/opera/testcases/bug184504.xhtml)
after a comment on his blog by Laurens Holst
(http://weblog.timaltman.com/node/803#comment-831)

Note that I only tested on Windows: 9.0 Preview 1 (build 8031)

What versions did you test?

Kostia Romanov

Oct 28, 2005, 7:56:21 AM10/28/05
to Kostia Romanov
27.10.05 в 23:49 Kostia Romanov в своём письме писал(а):

> 27.10.05 в 16:47 в своём письме писал(а):
>
>>> see http://sebastienguillon.com/ , a french Opera fan and web designer
>>> specialized in creating standards-based web sites :-)
>>>
>>> differences between Opera 8.5 and 9 are spectacular !
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm the author of http://sebastienguillon.com/
> []
> Try to go to site, get error:
> XML parsing failed: syntax error (Line: 106, Character: 27)
> 105: <!ENTITY % xhtml-framework.module "INCLUDE" >
> 106: <![%xhtml-framework.module;***[*** — red.
> 107: <!ENTITY % xhtml-framework.mod

Site is broken if I checked „XML Load External Entities” in opera:config…
So, it`s other problem, not relaterd to alternate XSS

Rijk van Geijtenbeek

Oct 28, 2005, 3:28:29 PM10/28/05

Same version. Your testcase doesn't hang my Opera, a clean install of
build 8031, but the site homepage does..

joao eiras

Nov 14, 2005, 12:07:04 AM11/14/05
Na , joao eiras <joao.eirasATgmailDOTcom> escreveu:

> It's a known issue with alternative stylesheet that always get loaded.
> testcase here
> http://timaltman.com/opera/testcases/bug184504.xhtml
>

> Na , Kostia Romanov <kosti...@ngs.ru> escreveu:

>>> []
>>> Try to go to site, get error:
>>> XML parsing failed: syntax error (Line: 106, Character: 27)
>>> 105: <!ENTITY % xhtml-framework.module "INCLUDE" >
>>> 106: <![%xhtml-framework.module;***[*** — red.
>>> 107: <!ENTITY % xhtml-framework.mod
>>>

>> Site is broken if I checked „XML Load External Entities” in
>> opera:config…
>> So, it`s other problem, not relaterd to alternate XSS

--
Utilizar M2, Cliente de e-mail revolucionário do Opera:
http://www.opera.com/m2/