SVG linecap handling

ma31

Jul 30, 2006, 5:16:18 AM7/30/06
Hello All,

When I tried to make a widget with SVG, I noticed odd rendering in Opera.
I couldn't find this issue was discussed before.

Sample SVG:
http://files.myopera.com/ma31/tmp/linecap_handling.svg

This SVG file contains simple circles [1] and elliptical arc curves[2]
with the property 'stroke-linecap="butt"'[3].

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG/shapes.html#CircleElement
[2] http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG/paths.html#PathDataEllipticalArcCommands
[3] http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG/painting.html#StrokeLinecapProperty

First, see yellow and red lines. These are quater of circle. At the start
and end points of the line, the tangential line must be horizontal (12 and
6 o'clock) or vertical (9 o'clock). Then the edge of the line (line cap)
must be perpendicular to the tangential line.

But Opera renders this part as slightly diagonal line.

Second, see blue and green line. You can see sharp wedge at the point of 3
and 9 o'clock. I just wanted to draw thick circles.

Reference image(png) rendered with Opera 9.01 built 8552
http://files.myopera.com/ma31/tmp/lncp_op.png

Reference image(png) rendered with Firefox 1.5.0.5
http://files.myopera.com/ma31/tmp/lncp_fx.png

I guess this issue is basic part of SVG rendering.
I hope it will be fixed.

Thank you.

# BTW. "List of supported elements in SVG"
# http://www.opera.com/docs/specs/opera9/svg/
# says feBlend -> Yes
( http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG/filters.html#feBlend )
# feColorMatrix -> Yes
( http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG/filters.html#feColorMatrix )
# Is it true? My Opera seems not to work properly, even if I try the
samples in W3C spec.
--
ma31(まみいち)
Using Opera9.01-8552, WinXP(H)

Saito

Jul 30, 2006, 8:07:31 AM7/30/06
On Sun, 30 Jul 2006 18:16:18 +0900, ma31 <ma...@this-address-is.invalid>
wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> When I tried to make a widget with SVG, I noticed odd rendering in Opera.
> I couldn't find this issue was discussed before.
>
> Sample SVG:
> http://files.myopera.com/ma31/tmp/linecap_handling.svg
>
> This SVG file contains simple circles [1] and elliptical arc curves[2]
> with the property 'stroke-linecap="butt"'[3].
>
> [1] http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG/shapes.html#CircleElement
> [2] http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG/paths.html#PathDataEllipticalArcCommands
> [3] http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG/painting.html#StrokeLinecapProperty
>
> First, see yellow and red lines. These are quater of circle. At the
> start and end points of the line, the tangential line must be horizontal
> (12 and 6 o'clock) or vertical (9 o'clock). Then the edge of the line
> (line cap) must be perpendicular to the tangential line.
>
> But Opera renders this part as slightly diagonal line.
>

> Second, see blue and green line. You can see sharp wedge at the point of
> 3 and 9 o'clock. I just wanted to draw thick circles.
>
> Reference image(png) rendered with Opera 9.01 built 8552
> http://files.myopera.com/ma31/tmp/lncp_op.png

Though confirmed with Windows 8552 on Win2K, build 400 of linux, this
week's
weekly, on Fedora Core 5, renders a little differently, as
http://saiton.net/hatena/svg-linux400.png
There is no wedges both at green and blue circle.

Hope this helps bits.

--
Saito, a paid Opera user both on Windows and Linux
http://d.hatena.ne.jp/saiton/ - Diary in Japanese

Tim Altman

Jul 31, 2006, 10:33:21 PM7/31/06

Please file a bug report: http://bugs.opera.com/wizard/.

--
Tim Altman
Core QA

ma31

Aug 1, 2006, 11:29:32 AM8/1/06
Thank for the confirmation.

On Tue, 01 Aug 2006 08:33:21 +0600, Tim Altman <do....@spam.me.invalid>
wrote:

> Please file a bug report: http://bugs.opera.com/wizard/.

I've done. bug-223016

Tim Altman

Aug 2, 2006, 10:23:24 AM8/2/06
On Tue, 01 Aug 2006 21:29:32 +0600, ma31
<ma...@this-address-is.invalid> wrote:

>Thank for the confirmation.
>
>On Tue, 01 Aug 2006 08:33:21 +0600, Tim Altman <do....@spam.me.invalid>
>wrote: