Is feedback wanted?

Spartanicus

Sep 5, 2007, 3:48:28 PM9/5/07
I get the impression that 9.5a1 was released to give the users something
to play with, or as a PR exercise (nothing wrong with either reason),
not because internal testing had run its course and external testing was
needed to get more feedback.

Am I wrong, is Opera looking for feedback on this release? If so what
type of testing are Opera looking for?

--
Spartanicus

Rijk van Geijtenbeek

Sep 6, 2007, 7:53:14 AM9/6/07
Op Wed, 05 Sep 2007 21:48:28 +0200 schreef Spartanicus
<inv...@invalid.invalid>:

Feedback wanted:

- general impressions, what do users think about the new/changed features,
what has to be changed/rethought/enhanced
desktopteam blog, forums and newsgroups are great for this

- website compatability. we can never cover the entire web ourselves
discussion is great, bug reports with testcases are perfect

- web authors can test their sites in kestrel, see what works now, which
workaround/blocks can be removed

--

Rijk van Geijtenbeek
Opera Software ASA, Documentation & QA

Jernej Simončič

Sep 6, 2007, 8:06:08 AM9/6/07
on Thu, 06 Sep 2007 13:53:14 +0200, Rijk van Geijtenbeek wrote:

> - general impressions, what do users think about the new/changed features,
> what has to be changed/rethought/enhanced
> desktopteam blog, forums and newsgroups are great for this

Speaking of feedback, is there any chance to get the old keyboard layout
back as an option?

--
begin .sig
< Jernej Simončič ><>◊<>< jernej simoncic at isg si >

Message has been deleted

sebas22

Sep 7, 2007, 12:42:09 AM9/7/07
<ri...@opera-dot-com.invalid> wrote:

>- website compatability. we can never cover the entire web ourselves
> discussion is great, bug reports with testcases are perfect

My bank's site has worked with Opera 3 or 4 years ago, then stopped
working 2 years ago.,It is still not working with Kestrel. Iit works
with FF. I wrote them a letter one year ago, they said they'll fix
that, but nothing happend. Is that sort of things of some interest
here ?

It's a little bit difficult to show the problem since it's necessary
to log in to see what's happening, but maybe I can show the code of
the page, or the output of the error console (lot's of CSS errors and
one javascript one, might be the one since the culprit menu is coded
in javascript)

If requested, I'll post more details about what is the problem.

--
Regards
Sebas

Sascha Broich

Sep 7, 2007, 9:59:57 AM9/7/07
On Thu, 06 Sep 2007 13:53:14 +0200, Rijk van Geijtenbeek wrote:
> Feedback wanted:

I just detected that in Google Groups threads are not displayed properly.
The posting texts are not shown.
Also there is a problem with large images. They get loaded after several
retrys. And png images are not displayed at all.

On the other hand Kestrel is much faster.
And beside the problems above it is very stable for an alpha. I had no
crash so far in my daily browser use.

Sascha Broich
--
Weil, so schließt er messerscharf,
nicht sein kann, was nicht sein darf.

Tim Altman

Sep 14, 2007, 8:53:42 AM9/14/07
On Fri, 07 Sep 2007 05:42:09 +0100, sebas22 <nos...@x.invalid> wrote:

>On Thu, 06 Sep 2007 13:53:14 +0200, "Rijk van Geijtenbeek"
><ri...@opera-dot-com.invalid> wrote:
>

>>- website compatability. we can never cover the entire web ourselves
>> discussion is great, bug reports with testcases are perfect
>
>My bank's site has worked with Opera 3 or 4 years ago, then stopped
>working 2 years ago.,It is still not working with Kestrel. Iit works
>with FF. I wrote them a letter one year ago, they said they'll fix
>that, but nothing happend. Is that sort of things of some interest
>here ?

Sure. What bank?

--
Tim Altman
Desktop QA

Tim Altman

Sep 14, 2007, 8:54:18 AM9/14/07
On Wed, 05 Sep 2007 20:48:28 +0100, Spartanicus
<inv...@invalid.invalid> wrote:

>I get the impression that 9.5a1 was released to give the users something
>to play with, or as a PR exercise (nothing wrong with either reason),
>not because internal testing had run its course and external testing was
>needed to get more feedback.

I'm not sure where you got that impression. In any case, we're very
interested in your feedback, especially regarding things that worked
previously but are now broken.

Spartanicus

Sep 14, 2007, 12:44:12 PM9/14/07
Tim Altman <do....@spam.me.invalid> wrote:

>>I get the impression that 9.5a1 was released to give the users something
>>to play with, or as a PR exercise (nothing wrong with either reason),
>>not because internal testing had run its course and external testing was
>>needed to get more feedback.
>
>I'm not sure where you got that impression.

Your recent message to the desktopteam blog left me feeling that the
first preview was months away. When it was then released a short time
later with the message "Jon wanted this for his birthday", I inferred
that the developer's WIR judgement had been overruled.

In the absence of actual information I read between the lines, too much
so probably :-)

--
Spartanicus

sebas22

Sep 15, 2007, 2:13:45 AM9/15/07
On Fri, 14 Sep 2007 08:53:42 -0400, Tim Altman
<do....@spam.me.invalid> wrote:

Hi Tim :-)

>>My bank's site has worked with Opera 3 or 4 years ago, then stopped
>>working 2 years ago.,It is still not working with Kestrel. Iit works
>>with FF. I wrote them a letter one year ago, they said they'll fix
>>that, but nothing happend. Is that sort of things of some interest
>>here ?
>
>Sure. What bank?

Ok, let's go ....
The bank is Caixa Geral de Déposito, a portugues bank
https://caixaebanking.cgd.pt/servlet/icbApp//

They have a site for private users, which is running ok with Opera,
and this one for companies, which gives problem.
I wrote them once more 3 days ago, still waiting for an answer.

Screen capture :
With Firefox : www.alvidente.com//private/CGD-FF-Screen.jpg
With Opera : www.alvidente.com//private/CGD-Opera-Screen.jpg

You see that the menu-bar :
"Consultas / Operações / Responsabilidades / Investimentos / Cartões"
is not working with Opera, and it's the main menu, we cannot work
without it.
Notice the url when the mouse pass over the menu
https://caixaebanking.cgd.pt/servlet/icbApp//MenuNovo.html# in the
footing, which should provoque a JS action (pull down) but doesn't

The side menu
"Personalização / Preçário / Contacte-nos / Cartão matriz "
is working ok, as well as the buttons "Autorizações" and "Sair"

CSS error and warnings when loading the page:
www.alvidente.com//private/CGD-Opera-CSS-error.txt

Error console from Opera (JS error) when passing over the menu:
www.alvidente.com//private/CGD-Opera-JS-error.txt

Source (when doing Ctrl-U)
www.alvidente.com//private/CGD-Opera-Source.htm

Source of the frame
www.alvidente.com//private/CGD-Opera-Source-Bemvindo.html

For indication, here is a picture of the error console from Firefox :
www.alvidente.com//private/CGD-FF-error-console.jpg

and the source Firefox shows when clicking the links of the
error-console :
www.alvidente.com//private/cgd-FF-source-MenuNovo.html
www.alvidente.com//private/cgd-FF-source-Bemvindo.html

I hope this is sufficiently clear, it's not easy to explain.

-----------------------

Now, I have another bank, french one this time, AXA-banque,
https://www.axabanque.fr/client/sAuthentification?cookieName=forte_creds&errInfo=&formPath=/client/sAuthentification&referer=/client/sClient&queryString=
which is working perfectly with Opera, but has this nasty popup when
login :
www.alvidente.com//private/alerte-Axa-Opera.jpg

------ quote -------
The site AXA Banque is not compatible with the browser Opera
You can see your account with the last versions of Opera, but we
strongly advise not to do any operation with it.
To do operation, we thank you to use
MSIE (v 4.0 or more)
Netscape (v4.6 or more)
--- end quote ---------

I wrote them with an email slightly humoristic to ask them to put this
strange advise away. They answered positively, and the popup
desappeared in the same day :-))
--
Regards,
Sebas

Tim Altman

Sep 16, 2007, 7:28:28 AM9/16/07

This is most likely the cause of the problem you're having. Can you
post the JS file somewhere?

This page is showing a lot of 404s.

Tim Altman

Sep 16, 2007, 7:30:04 AM9/16/07

The confusion is understandable with the above context. At the point
that I posted to the blog, we weren't sure we'd be releasing as soon
as we did. But, things turned out better than expected, so we
released.

sebas22

Sep 18, 2007, 8:21:34 AM9/18/07
On Sun, 16 Sep 2007 07:28:28 -0400, Tim Altman
<do....@spam.me.invalid> wrote:

Sorry for the delay, I was out.

>>Error console from Opera (JS error) when passing over the menu:
>>www.alvidente.com//private/CGD-Opera-JS-error.txt
>
>This is most likely the cause of the problem you're having. Can you
>post the JS file somewhere?

The JS should be the one shown there, isn't it ?
www.alvidente.com//private/cgd-FF-source-MenuNovo.html
If it's not, say me, I'll try another thing

--
Regards,
Sebas

Tim Altman

Sep 19, 2007, 11:05:03 AM9/19/07

https://caixaebanking.cgd.pt/servlet/icbApp//MenuJS.html is the file
according to the error console.

sebas22

Sep 19, 2007, 2:19:40 PM9/19/07
On Wed, 19 Sep 2007 11:05:03 -0400, Tim Altman
<do....@spam.me.invalid> wrote:

>On Tue, 18 Sep 2007 13:21:34 +0100, sebas22 <nos...@x.invalid> wrote:
>
>>>This is most likely the cause of the problem you're having. Can you
>>>post the JS file somewhere?
>

>https://caixaebanking.cgd.pt/servlet/icbApp//MenuJS.html is the file
>according to the error console.

Ok it's on
www.alvidente.com/private/MenuJS.html

It looks nasty opened on opera, but I got a correct formatation with
the menu frane / source (it's ok anyway opened with my text editor)

--
Regards,
Sebas

Tim Altman

Sep 20, 2007, 7:55:23 AM9/20/07

OK. Are you IDing as IE for that site? The script seems to be
detecting Opera as IE. You may want to try some different ID settings
to see if the JS errors go away.

sebas22

Sep 20, 2007, 9:48:40 AM9/20/07
On Thu, 20 Sep 2007 07:55:23 -0400, Tim Altman
<do....@spam.me.invalid> wrote:

>OK. Are you IDing as IE for that site? The script seems to be
>detecting Opera as IE. You may want to try some different ID settings
>to see if the JS errors go away.

I tried IDing and Masking as FF, and Masking as IE : same result.

The only thing is that when masking as FF, When I clic on "Sair"
(Exit) the msgbox "A sessão vai ser encerrada" (the session will be
closed) is shown (as it should be), and not when IDing as FF or Opera
or masking as IE.

--
Regards,
Sebas

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

sebas22

Sep 22, 2007, 12:46:52 AM9/22/07
On Fri, 21 Sep 2007 10:33:45 -0400, Tim Altman
<do....@spam.me.invalid> wrote:

>OK. At this point, it's probably best for you to file a bug report
>with all the information you've collected and someone from our Core
>team will have a look.

Do you really think I should ?
1) It's not a bug but a site bad buid
2) It's not easy to explain all that in a form that the report is
understandable
3) In this stage, the Core team has probably more important things to
take care about, don't they ?

But if you really think I should, I'll do it for sure :-)
I will on another hand send more emails to this bank (they didn't
answer yet to the one I sent few days ago)

--
Regards,
Sebas

Tim Altman

Sep 23, 2007, 12:10:17 PM9/23/07

We have a team dedicated to solving these types of issues. They may
not have any more success than you have, but it's worth a try.

sebas22

Sep 24, 2007, 9:54:57 AM9/24/07
<do....@spam.me.invalid> wrote:

>On Thu, 20 Sep 2007 14:48:40 +0100, sebas22 <nos...@x.invalid> wrote:

>OK. At this point, it's probably best for you to file a bug report
>with all the information you've collected and someone from our Core
>team will have a look.

Done : bug-286844
Tx for your attention, Tim.

--