Problems after teleporting to another OWL!

wezzax

Sep 3, 2010, 3:44:12 AM9/3/10
to Open Wonderland Forum
Both OWL are Version: 0.5-dev (rev. 4505)

Issues after new login:
- Black screen!
- stuck on the starting location!
- stuffs on the previous OWL shows in the new one; again, stuck on the
starting point!
- 2 avatars from the same user show on the new OWL, one is not
controllable, the other is stuck and spin around when trying to move!

---

easy fix(!?): we should separate the client's OWL cache into
different folders for each OWL server, and to save space, a common
folder can be used! If plan carefully, teleporting to different OWL
in different versions should not cause any problem.

cheers.

wezzax

Sep 9, 2010, 5:28:31 AM9/9/10
to Open Wonderland Forum
No one has the same issues?

Warden

Oct 7, 2010, 9:03:00 AM10/7/10
to Open Wonderland Forum
I have also experienced black screen after successful login. This was
with fifteen people in the OWL meeting. I exited, then tried to re-
enter. Name and password accepted, but no location shows in the URL
bar and the screen was just black. I tried using different
credentials, which were accepted, but still black screen. Killed Java
processes and started again, but same problem. I restarted the OWL
services, and no change. Fell back to a snapshot, and again, still
black screen. Left it and came back about six hours later, and login
worked and was able to enter OWL, although the meeting was over and no
other users online.

A day later, I had a meeting in OWL with about twelve students and
everything was smooth, but two students who had exited could not re-
enter, also experiencing the black screen.

Could this be a network issue? For the server I'm running, two 6 core
cpus, 72 GB RAM, and a GB network. With these specs, I do not think I
ran out of bandwidth, but is it possible OWL develops some issues with
saturating the connection that blocks people trying to login?

Jonathan Kaplan

Oct 7, 2010, 3:51:08 PM10/7/10
to openwon...@googlegroups.com
Network problems are a definite possibility. It might be useful to know where in the process the client is hanging. Next time it happens, try help -> error report -> error log. Hopefully it will show what the client is trying to connect to when it hangs.

Neil Rerup

Oct 7, 2010, 6:55:42 PM10/7/10
to openwon...@googlegroups.com
Just an FYI, I had a person try to connect in from the Canadian Government network and they had the same blank screen after log in. Apparently, the download took 10 minutes as well. Their computers are up to date, apparently, though their computer security levels are through the roof. He isn’t able to get the Java console because of workstation lock down so I couldn’t get a client trace (unfortunately) ...

Neil
Neil Rerup
President / Security Architect
Pacific Data Bank Security
Vancouver, BC
phone: 604-948-9326
web: www.pdbsec.com
email: nre...@pdbsec.com

Warden

Oct 9, 2010, 6:07:52 AM10/9/10
to Open Wonderland Forum
Ran another class with 15 participants and got the black screen
problem early on this time. Checked the error log and the problem is:
Error connecting to http:// . . .
The issue was very consistent for anyone who exited OWL and tried to
enter again.
Restarting services and even restarting OWL on the server made no
difference.
I found, however, that the black screen, which has no Location in the
Location bar. I input the the server URL manually, and clicked Go!
repeatedly, while watching the error log.
Clicking once resulted in the same error. However, clicking quickly
one after another got the connection going. Tested this about ten
times and it was very consistent. Single connection attempt, nothing,
repeated quick attempts, gets in.

Error log:

WARNING 3:53:38 PM
com.sun.sgs.impl.client.simple.SimpleClientConnection exceptionThrown
exception on: {0}:
java.io.IOException: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the
remote host
at sun.nio.ch.SocketDispatcher.read0(Native Method)
at sun.nio.ch.SocketDispatcher.read(Unknown Source)
at sun.nio.ch.IOUtil.readIntoNativeBuffer(Unknown Source)
at sun.nio.ch.IOUtil.read(Unknown Source)
at sun.nio.ch.SocketChannelImpl.read(Unknown Source)
at
org.apache.mina.transport.socket.nio.SocketIoProcessor.read(SocketIoProcessor.java:
232)
at
org.apache.mina.transport.socket.nio.SocketIoProcessor.process(SocketIoProcessor.java:
206)
at org.apache.mina.transport.socket.nio.SocketIoProcessor.access
$500(SocketIoProcessor.java:44)
at org.apache.mina.transport.socket.nio.SocketIoProcessor
$Worker.run(SocketIoProcessor.java:506)
at
org.apache.mina.util.NamePreservingRunnable.run(NamePreservingRunnable.java:
43)
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.runTask(Unknown
Source)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
WARNING 3:53:38 PM org.jdesktop.wonderland.client.jme.JmeClientMain
$3$1 run
Error connecting to http://myserverIPreplacedhere:8080/
java.io.IOException: Error connecting to http://myserverIPreplacedhere:8080/
at
org.jdesktop.wonderland.client.jme.JmeClientMain.loadServer(JmeClientMain.java:
430)
at
org.jdesktop.wonderland.client.jme.JmeClientMain.loadServer(JmeClientMain.java:
388)
at org.jdesktop.wonderland.client.jme.JmeClientMain
$3$1.run(JmeClientMain.java:271)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
Caused by: org.jdesktop.wonderland.client.comms.LoginFailureException
at org.jdesktop.wonderland.client.comms.WonderlandSessionImpl
$LoginAttempt.setFailure(WonderlandSessionImpl.java:916)
at org.jdesktop.wonderland.client.comms.WonderlandSessionImpl
$LoginAttempt.setFailure(WonderlandSessionImpl.java:905)
at org.jdesktop.wonderland.client.comms.WonderlandSessionImpl
$WonderlandClientListener.disconnected(WonderlandSessionImpl.java:755)
at com.sun.sgs.client.simple.SimpleClient
$SimpleClientConnectionListener.disconnected(SimpleClient.java:423)
at
com.sun.sgs.impl.client.simple.SimpleClientConnection.disconnected(SimpleClientConnection.java:
141)
at
com.sun.sgs.impl.io.SocketConnectionListener.sessionClosed(SocketConnectionListener.java:
87)
at org.apache.mina.common.support.AbstractIoFilterChain
$TailFilter.sessionClosed(AbstractIoFilterChain.java:677)
at
org.apache.mina.common.support.AbstractIoFilterChain.callNextSessionClosed(AbstractIoFilterChain.java:
321)
at org.apache.mina.common.support.AbstractIoFilterChain.access
$800(AbstractIoFilterChain.java:54)
at org.apache.mina.common.support.AbstractIoFilterChain$EntryImpl
$1.sessionClosed(AbstractIoFilterChain.java:781)
at
org.apache.mina.filter.executor.ExecutorFilter.processEvent(ExecutorFilter.java:
267)
at org.apache.mina.filter.executor.ExecutorFilter
$ProcessEventsRunnable.run(ExecutorFilter.java:307)
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.runTask(Unknown
Source)
... 1 more

Jonathan Kaplan

Oct 9, 2010, 1:44:42 PM10/9/10
to openwon...@googlegroups.com
Very strange, but clearly a network issue. Are there any indications
in the Darkstar log of why it is closing the connections? What happens
if you connect to the Darkstar server with telnet (telnet server
1139)? I would also expect it to drop the connection.

Since we've never seen this before, I tend to suspect either the
server (what OS are you running? It should be a plenty powerful
machine from the specs) or an intermediary like a traffic-shaping
router.

wezzax

Oct 11, 2010, 4:39:23 AM10/11/10
to Open Wonderland Forum
It seems the problems mentioned by others is similar to the topic!

Anyway, I remember there's a PC which is having trouble loging in,
cause the login dialogue never pop up!! And there's no error in error
log! Would be great if there are more messages in "error" log during
the pre/post login process for easy diagnoses!

On Oct 10, 1:44 am, Jonathan Kaplan <jonathan...@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
> >    at
> > org.apache.mina.common.support.AbstractIoFilterChain.callNextSessionClosed(­AbstractIoFilterChain.java:
> > 321)
> >    at org.apache.mina.common.support.AbstractIoFilterChain.access
> > $800(AbstractIoFilterChain.java:54)
> >    at org.apache.mina.common.support.AbstractIoFilterChain$EntryImpl
> > $1.sessionClosed(AbstractIoFilterChain.java:781)
> >    at
> > org.apache.mina.filter.executor.ExecutorFilter.processEvent(ExecutorFilter.­java:
> > 267)
> >    at org.apache.mina.filter.executor.ExecutorFilter
> > $ProcessEventsRunnable.run(ExecutorFilter.java:307)
> >    at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.runTask(Unknown
> > Source)
> >    at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(Unknown Source)

Warden

Oct 11, 2010, 8:55:20 PM10/11/10
to Open Wonderland Forum
My experience is that if the login does not pop up, then there is an
OpenGL driver/video card problem. You may want to test the OpenGL
capability of the PC being used. Try this tester: 140.120.52.149/
glview332.exe

This is a different issue than being able to login but then receive a
black screen.

wezzax

Oct 12, 2010, 12:42:41 AM10/12/10
to Open Wonderland Forum
thanks Warden,

I know it's a different issue. But it's also a different issue when
you teleposrt to another OWL, and the graphics and controls go funny.

Warden

Oct 12, 2010, 6:46:21 AM10/12/10
to Open Wonderland Forum
Yes Wezzax, agreed. I have also had the transport issue and the zombie
avatar.

To date, I have been able to approach the zombie and right click and
use one of two actions--kick the user or delete. Most of the times,
delete is the only option. Forcing logout I have used a couple times.

This is a very common problem for me, normally after the Java client
freezes up and I log back in.

Morris Ford

Oct 12, 2010, 7:22:55 AM10/12/10
to openwon...@googlegroups.com

Teleporting between worlds definitely does not work correctly right now. There are two major problems. Java permgen errors on the client. This exception shows in the console log. The other problem is that the collision with the portal is causing multiple teleport attempts to the target world. these problems are being worked on.
Morris