Pre_launch_check

cappelaere

Aug 5, 2010, 8:28:53 AM8/5/10
to ruote
I am finally upgrading to latest Ruote from 0.9.16 (it is about
time :). A lot of things have changed. You are doing an incredible
job as always.
There seems to be a few things that I cannot find... for example:
We used to be able to pre-check pdefs that had specified
"parameters". This is (was?) extremely useful.
I am wondering if this is this done differently in 2.x (and I am
missing it)?
Thanks,
Pat.

John Mettraux

Aug 5, 2010, 8:36:43 AM8/5/10
to openwfe...@googlegroups.com

Hello Patrice,

I'm sorry, this feature didn't make it into ruote 2.1.x.

I usually do those checks in plain ruby right before calling Engine#launch.

Best regards,

--
John Mettraux - http://jmettraux.wordpress.com

Cappelaere Patrice

Aug 5, 2010, 8:48:39 AM8/5/10
to openwfe...@googlegroups.com
Hey John,

No problem.

[I cannot really do this in plain ruby as my pdefs are defined in XML (which will be generated by a BPMN 2.0 compatible GUI).]

Pat.

John Mettraux

Aug 5, 2010, 8:50:28 AM8/5/10
On Thu, Aug 5, 2010 at 9:48 PM, Cappelaere Patrice <cappe...@gmail.com> wrote:

> No problem.
>
> [I cannot really do this in plain ruby as my pdefs are defined in XML (which will be generated by a BPMN 2.0 compatible GUI).]

How does BPMN2.0 let model those pre-checks ?

Very curious,

Cappelaere Patrice

Aug 5, 2010, 9:02:43 AM8/5/10
to openwfe...@googlegroups.com
John,

Good question.
BPMN is the visual interface. Then you export it to some intermediate format (like XPDL).
When you create a process, you will need to define the input parameters. This is usually done at the application level (Dialog of some sorts). Then this gets mapped to the WorkflowProcess parameters (if you use XPDL as intermediate representation). Then I would need to convert to openwfe xml.

John Mettraux

Aug 5, 2010, 9:14:16 AM8/5/10

On Thu, Aug 05, 2010 at 09:02:43AM -0400, Cappelaere Patrice wrote:

> Good question.
> BPMN is the visual interface. Then you export it to some intermediate format (like XPDL).
> When you create a process, you will need to define the input parameters. This is usually done at the application level (Dialog of some sorts). Then this gets mapped to the WorkflowProcess parameters (if you use XPDL as intermediate representation). Then I would need to convert to openwfe xml.

Hello,

you could re-open the ruote engine and wrap launch with your checking logic :

---8<---
module Ruote

class Engine

def check_and_launch (pdef, fields={}, variables={})

pdef, params = split_params(pdef)

check_params(params, fields)

# check_params didn't raise, clear for launch...

launch(pdef, fields, variables)
end

protected

# Splits the params from the process definition.
# Returns an array [ pdef without params, params ].
#
def split_params (pdef)
# ...
end

# Will raise an exception if something is not right...
#
def check_params (params, fields)
# ...
end
end
end

#...

pdef = bpmn2_tool.generate_process_definition()
ruote_engine.check_and_launch(pdef)
--->8---

Just an idea. (fields is the initial payload, what used to be the "launchitem").

Kind regards,

Donald French

Aug 5, 2010, 11:11:14 PM8/5/10
to openwfe...@googlegroups.com
Can you say which BPMN 2.0 gui you are using to generate the xml?

Don French

Cappelaere Patrice

Aug 6, 2010, 8:25:41 AM8/6/10
to openwfe...@googlegroups.com
Don,

I mispoke. it is BPMN 1.0 with XPDL 2.1.
BPMN 2.0 is still in beta...

BPVA http://www.visual-paradigm.com (but export is not XPDL)
or Tibco BusinessStudio 2.1
or Bizagi: http://www.bizagi.com/