minor announcement: ruote-amqp minimal "demo"

David Greaves

Jun 19, 2010, 12:45:17 PM6/19/10
to ruote
Hi

I've put together a minimal-ish ruote-amqp setup using daemon-kit based remote
participants - with much help from John (and ccooke and others in #ruote and
#ruby - thanks. Hopefully this'll help others get started too.

One objective was to get multiple remote participants interacting to orchestrate
a build/test system (as you'll guess from the location on gitorious).

After running the simple demo it's worth trying some service kill/restarts; it's
good to show how resilient the overall system is.

Additionally I wanted a clean-ish ruby development envoironment that I could
easily hand to new ruby (and non-ruby) developers so I've selected Bundle over
rvm as a reasonably non-intrusive solution that still works with the distro
ruby; happy to take advice on implementation etc.

Anyhow... the code's at:
http://meego.gitorious.org/meego-infrastructure-tools/boss
(there's a ruote-demo-tag)

Roughly:
* install amqp-server
* gem install bundler
* checkout code
* run a pull script
* bundle install
* run the demo/participants
* start a process and watch

There are some minor issues:
* starting multiple processes and all processes need to complete the imager step
before any progress to the tester step.
* the syntax is very verbose

David

--
"Don't worry, you'll be fine; I saw it work in a cartoon once..."

John Mettraux

Jun 20, 2010, 9:47:24 PM6/20/10
to openwfe...@googlegroups.com

On Sat, Jun 19, 2010 at 05:45:17PM +0100, David Greaves wrote:

> I've put together a minimal-ish ruote-amqp setup using daemon-kit
> based remote participants - with much help from John (and ccooke and
> others in #ruote and #ruby - thanks. Hopefully this'll help others
> get started too.

Very nice,

I took the liberty to link to it in

http://jmettraux.wordpress.com/2010/06/21/ruote-demos-and-examples/