Please reply: DOS Watcom full-screen problem.

Vincent

Feb 19, 2006, 6:58:55 PM2/19/06
Hello,

I'm trying to figure out how I can build a Cause Way extended DOS
program using Open Watcom C v1.4 that starts up in a DOS prompt on
Windows rather than full-screen. In older commercial Watcom C/C++
compilers, this would only happen when a program enters pixel
video-modes. Now it seems this will also occur in text video-modes and
requires me to press "Alt+Enter" to toggle to the windowed mode.
Changing the program properties to startup in a windowed mode has no
effect.

Is there anyway I can tell the compiler to build a DOS program that
doesnt switch to full-screen unless absolutly necessary like it did
with pre-Open Watcom 1.0?

If not, is it possible that a compiler option be implemented for Open
Watcom v1.5 to support this?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Regards,
Vincent

FreeDOSfan

Feb 25, 2006, 7:16:58 PM2/25/06
Vincent wrote:

"Hello,
I'm trying to figure out how I can build a Cause Way extended DOS
program using Open Watcom C v1.4 that starts up in a DOS prompt on
Windows rather than full-screen. In older commercial Watcom C/C++
compilers, this would only happen when a program enters pixel
video-modes. Now it seems this will also occur in text video-modes and
requires me to press "Alt+Enter" to toggle to the windowed mode.
Changing the program properties to startup in a windowed mode has no
effect.
Is there anyway I can tell the compiler to build a DOS program that
doesnt switch to full-screen unless absolutly necessary like it did
with pre-Open Watcom 1.0?"

It is NOT a problem of a DOS program or the compiler.

"If not, is it possible that a compiler option be implemented for Open
Watcom v1.5 to support this?"

??? There are no DOS or BIOS calls for this, as far as I know.
DOS is allways full-screen.

Lars Erdmann

Mar 17, 2006, 2:05:05 AM3/17/06
Vincent schrieb:
I am pretty sure you can control this with some linker setting.
Maybe the RUNTIME directive where you would have to select WINDOWS or
CONSOLE (try out what works for you).
Or the FORMAT directive with DOS. Or the SYSTEM directive with DOS

Lars

Michal Necasek

Mar 17, 2006, 2:05:06 AM3/17/06
Lars Erdmann wrote:

> I am pretty sure you can control this with some linker setting.
> Maybe the RUNTIME directive where you would have to select WINDOWS or
> CONSOLE (try out what works for you).

You must have missed the bit about a *DOS* executable...

Michal