Work under way in branches/

1 view

lukhnos

Sep 21, 2008, 1:22:46 PM9/21/08
to OpenVanilla

I haven't posted anything in the group for a while. My apologizes for
being on the slow lane lately.

If you follow OV source respository lately, you might have noticed we
have a few new commits in branches/.

One group of the commits is a beefed-up version of OVWin32, targeting
Windows Vista solely. I haven't been able to test and build the
commits yet--hopefully I can move onto that when the item I'm
mentioning in the next paragraph is completed.

So namely we have started working on a new branch, branches/0.9-Oranje
(oranje being the Dutch for "orange"). We have drafted a guideline for
the work at the present stage, and initial works will reflect such
rules of thumbs.

I believe many of us have learned more than we knew when we first
started the OpenVanilla Project in late 2004 how a cross-platform
project should be managed and organized. For this kind of system
software it's epsecially challenging because platform differences can
and do affect project organization.

Before OpenVanilla has been a mix of UNIX-style, hand-made Makefiles
(for mostly OS X components and pan-UNIX source-code-level compatible
modules), automake tools (for the Linux port), Xcode projects (for Mac-
only components) and Windows command line batch files (initally for
accommodating free Visual C++ tools) and Visual Studio project/
solution files. This really leads to impassé of further reorganization
because you can't manoeuver across the source tree without breaking
too many things at once.

So basically zonble and I have agreed that we should set a less
ambitious and more clearly defined--and confined--target: to first of
all make all core OV components work under OS X 10.5 again, then we
can think about the overall project organization for other platforms.

With that in mind, 0.9-Oranje is essentially a clean-up and tidy-up of
the project organizational mess in OpenVanilla.

For the time being we strip all previous build systems (Makefiles,
project files, etc.) and start over with a new Xcode 3.1.1-compatible
project file. We also for the time being removed all non-core codes--
all experiments, utilities, Windows port code etc. are not to be found
in the branch. My current estimate is that many of them might no
longer see the light of the day, but it's a pruning process that I
think we need to undertake to infuse new energy and organization into
the project.

As is it, the current OpenVanilla.xcodeproj will build two basic
modules for OV 0.8.x loaders on Mac OS X. We should be able to jump to
0.9.x version identifiers once we have tidied up the loader.

d.

AJK

Sep 21, 2008, 1:50:27 PM9/21/08
to openv...@googlegroups.com
For those who want to know how to pronounce oranje: it's oh-rahn-yeh
(in esperanto-orthographie: oŭranje)

2008/9/21 lukhnos <luk...@gmail.com>:

--
http://espe.ranto.nl
http://lost.eu/78c6e

老刀

Oct 3, 2008, 1:02:09 PM10/3/08
to OpenVanilla
lukhnos 發表的原文,我已摘要翻譯登載於我的部落格「老刀烏白講」,歡迎大家前往參觀。網址為:

http://knife-tw.blogspot.com/2008/09/openvanilla-09.html