Card of the Day for October 19 - Five of Pentacles

msesheta

Oct 19, 2011, 9:48:31 AM10/19/11
to Opentarot Group, Google Opentarotnexus, hat...@opentarotnexus.multiply.com
FIVE OF PENTACLES

Attribution - Mercury in Taurus

Lord of Worry

The suit of Pentacles represents the element earth. This is the suit through which we can appreciate what we have been given and it shows how we experience the external world.

Pentacles can represent money matters, resources, security, material concerns, prosperity, wealth, service, status, and physical experiences in the body.

The number five represents disrupted stability, struggle, uncertainty, upset, change, disruption, adversity, conflict, loss, disappointment, challenge and difficulties. It also indicates something temporary or repetitive – you keep going back to the same issue over and over again. According to Paul Foster Case the number 5 represents FEAR. We sometimes fear our own actions and must remain aware of how they affect our decisions.

Rider-Waite Imagery

The number five represents restriction. The suit of pentacles is related to the element of earth and covers the physical world, health and financial matters. A man and a woman are shown on this card walking through the snow barefoot. They are both poorly dressed and look distressed. The man is walking on crutches and the woman hunched over. They are walking past a building with a colorful stained glassed window. The man is wearing a bell. The bell is a symbol of liberty and freedom and of letting yourself be heard. He needs to let himself be heard despite the difficult circumstances.

http://tarotjourney.net/tarot-cards/minor-arcana/pentacles/5-of-pentacles/

The Pictorial Key to the Tarot by Arthur Edward Waite (1911)

Two mendicants in a snow-storm pass a lighted casement.

Divinatory Meanings

Upright: The card foretells material trouble above all, whether in the form illustrated–that is, destitution–or otherwise. For some cartomancists, it is a card of love and lovers-wife, husband, friend, mistress; also concordance, affinities. These alternatives cannot be harmonized.

Reversed: Disorder, chaos, ruin, discord, profligacy.

Some Additional Meanings of the Lesser Arcana:

Five: Conquest of fortune by reason. Reversed: Troubles in love.

UPRIGHT

Trying times.

A cry for help.

Instability.

Anxiety about practical matters.

Do not gamble with your future, conserve your resources.

Impoverishment, deprivation, stress, difficulties, loss, hardship.

Risk.

Jealousy.

Despair and lack of faith.

Confront your limitations and develop your abilities.

There is a possible threat to your security.

Unexpected expense.

Disruption in home life – moving, needy family members.

Disagreement about money matters.

Change in social status that affects your popularity.

A purchase that is more expensive than you anticipated.

Counting pennies.

Physically tired, overworked, stressed.

This is a temporary instability rather than a complete depletion.

Take care of your health; stress and worry can lead to accidents and/or illness.

Having to cut back until you recover.

Disregard for the living standards and social position of the preceding 4 of Pentacles.

Voluntary state of hardship.

Mixed reaction to drugs, dietary restrictions due to health problems. (E. Hazel)

REVERSED

A secret love affair.

Forgiveness and sympathy are offered.

Temporary work or short term work.

Slow healing process.

A job may be lost.

Confusion, an inability to solve a crisis.

Blaming others for our misfortunes.

You are altering or questioning your “security blanket”.

Coming out of poverty.

Recovering from stress and hardship.

Falling through the social safety net.

Healthier lifestyle.

Getting your feet back under you.

You do not have the means to get out of the jam you are in.

Money isn’t everything.

Courage and hope return after acceptance of the condition of loss.

1. Robin Wood
2. Ellen Cannon Reed
3. Alleged
4. Durer