A.Word.A.Day--dilettante

msesheta

Feb 8, 2012, 9:51:10 AM2/8/12
to Opentarot Group, Google Opentarotnexus

 Wordsmith.org The Magic of Words

Feb 8, 2012
This week's theme
Words to describe people

This week's words
wastrel
lummox
dilettante

A.Word.A.Day with Anu Garg

dilettante

PRONUNCIATION:
(DIL-i-tahnt, dil-i-TAHNT, -tay, -tee)

MEANING:
noun: One who takes up an activity or interest in a superficial or casual way.
adjective: Superficial; amateurish.

ETYMOLOGY:
From Italian dilettante (amateur), from Latin delectare (to delight). Earliest documented use: 1733.

USAGE:
"I long ago came to realize that I am a putterer, a grazer, a dilettante. I create the impression of getting a lot done by dabbling through my days: I read two pages of a book, write half a letter, paint a portion of the front porch, bake half a tin of muffins, teach a class, wash a window."
Robert Klose; Confessions of a Dedicated Dilettante; The Christian Science Monitor (Boston, Massachusetts); May 10, 2004.

Explore "dilettante" in the Visual Thesaurus.

A THOUGHT FOR TODAY:
You must be the change you wish to see in the world. - Mohandas K. Gandhi (1869-1948)

© 2012 Wordsmith.org