Fwd: Test [Openspace] guidelines for regression diagnostics

Julia Koschinsky

Nov 29, 2010, 1:28:58 PM11/29/10
to openspa...@googlegroups.com, J.P.E...@rug.nl
On behalf of Paul.
Julia

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: J.P. Elhorst <J.P.E...@rug.nl>
Date: 29 November 2010 08:54
Subject: Test [Openspace] guidelines for regression diagnostics
To: Julia Koschinsky <jkos...@asu.edu>

Dear Julia,

Can you post my e-mail below on Openspace.

Thanks in advance,

Paul

Everyone,

Mark Burkey is right. I have developed some kind of flow-chart for
decision making in my paper: Elhorst J.P. (2010) Applied spatial
econometrics: raising the bar. Spatial Economic Analysis 5: 9-28.

Here is a full description of this flow-chart:

OLS model: Y=X*beta+epsilon
Spatial lag model: Y=rho*WY+X*beta+epsilon
Spatial error model: Y=X*beta+u, u=lambda*Wu+epsilon
Spatial Durbin model: Y=rho*WY+X*beta+WX*theta+epsilon

1. Estimate OLS model (benchmark model) and calculate (robust) LM tests
for spatial lag and spatial error model. This gives:

a) Spatial lag model.

b) Spatial error model.

c) Spatial lag and spatial error model.

d) Neither spatial lag nor spatial error model. Estimate spatial lag and
spatial error model to see whether rho (spatial lag model) or lambda (spatial
error model) is/are significant. This may still give a), b) or c). If
both are insignificant d) remains.

2. If a), b) or c): Estimate spatial Durbin model. This gives:

  A. LR tests of H0: theta=0 and of H0: theta+rho*beta=0 rejected > spatial
  Durbin model.

  B. LR test of H0: theta=0 not rejected > spatial lag model, provided that
  robust) LM tests also pointed to spatial lag model (if not > spatial
  Durbin model).

  C. LR test of H0: theta+rho*beta=0 not rejected > spatial error
model, provided
  that (robust) LM tests also pointed to spatial error model (if not >
  spatial Durbin model).

3. If d): Estimate OLS model with (selection of) WX variables

  a. H0: theta=0 not rejected > OLS model.

  b. H0: theta=0 rejected; Estimate spatial Durbin model. This gives:

     I. H0: rho=0 not rejected > Model with (selection of) WX variables
     suffices.

    II. H0: rho=0 rejected > spatial Durbin model.

Note that it is possible to estimate the spatial Durbin model in GeoDa.
For this purpose one should first create WX variables using "Add
column" and "Lag operations" in "Field Operations".
Next, one can estimate the spatial lag model including both X and WX variables.

Best,

Paul Elhorst
University of Groningen
Department of Economics and Econometrics
P.O. Box 800
9700 AV Groningen
the Netherlands
Email J.P.E...@rug.nl
http://www.rsgroningen.nl/
http://www.regroningen.nl/elhorst
click on software for software to estimate spatial panels

--
Julia Koschinsky, Ph.D.