groups

Benji

Feb 18, 2009, 3:37:15 PM2/18/09
to opensourcecurrency

On Sat, Feb 14, 2009 at 3:50 PM, Tom Brown
<herestomwit...@gmail.com> wrote:

> i'm curious about your ideas about what purpose the groups would serve. would it be just that people could
> identify who is in their affinity group compared to the system at large or would there be even more functionality
> per group?

I think for me personally groups would be a way to get more people
interested in joining ATEN and the larger community. I have a couple
groups that may be interested in it to facilitate existing time
tracking, and by using ATEN to do that, they would have all the
benefits of the larger community.

Specifically, I'm thinking of the Austin Cohousing group (and
currently talking with Karen about doing an orientation for us), and
the Barn Raising group I'm in. With Barn Raising, we all get together
in January and break up into groups of 4-6 households. We then
schedule our work days - about one every other month - throughout the
year. When your day comes up, everyone converges on your house and you
put them to work for the day. It's a great way to get big projects
hammered out in a short amount of time, and it's way fun! The problem
is that anyone who doesn't get in during that first meeting has a hard
time joining a group. I see ATEN as a way to facilitate even more of
the BarnRaising spirit without having to do all the organization up-
front. You have a bunch of folks over to your house and then pay them
in hours. Go to someone else's house and get some of that time back
working for them, etc.

Benjamin

Rich Vázquez

Feb 18, 2009, 5:32:14 PM2/18/09
to opensourc...@googlegroups.com
I think there are the uses of existing groups.  Some might start inbreeding with services, but it's unlikely people won't take advantage of the larger skill set out there.

Another use is "Neighborhoods", which could just be Neighborhood associations in some cases.  But that also could prove to be a more dynamic feature in the future
--
Rich Vázquez

HeresTomWithTheWeather

Feb 18, 2009, 5:36:37 PM2/18/09
to opensourcecurrency
wow, the barnraising case sounds awesome! johnny barnett has also
asked about a groups feature, so it seems like there is grassroots
support for the idea. maybe we should try to decide whether the group
feature should support its own group-based currency. it seems this is
bordering on michael linton's ideas of the open money concept where it
is trivial for a new currency to spring up.

cheers,
tom

On Feb 18, 2:37 pm, Benji <bgc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 14, 2009 at 3:50 PM, Tom Brown

Benjamin Bradley

Feb 18, 2009, 6:21:14 PM2/18/09
to opensourc...@googlegroups.com
It sounds like a fun feature to implement. I'd say go ahead and create the branch and I'll start toying around with it. I'm a little rusty on the git branching commands, so any advice you can give there is appreciated.

Benjamin

HeresTomWithTheWeather

Feb 18, 2009, 6:47:05 PM2/18/09
to opensourcecurrency
i added you to the project. to add the branch, you can

git branch group_option
git checkout group_option
git push origin group_option

cheers,
tom

On Feb 18, 5:21 pm, Benjamin Bradley <bgc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> It sounds like a fun feature to implement. I'd say go ahead and create the
> branch and I'll start toying around with it. I'm a little rusty on the git
> branching commands, so any advice you can give there is appreciated.
>
> Benjamin
>
> On Wed, Feb 18, 2009 at 4:36 PM, HeresTomWithTheWeather <

HeresTomWithTheWeather

Feb 19, 2009, 3:16:42 PM2/19/09
to opensourcecurrency
some suggestions about integrating skills/services with groups...feel
free to critique!

if someone needs to create a private group, perhaps they should just
run a separate instance of the oscurrency system. sure, that comes at
a cost, but it also keeps the code simple and reduces the risk of
information disclosure.

if all groups are transparent to the rest of the system's members,
then managing the skills/services tree is trivial. when viewing a
skill/service page, you can view requests/providers for the entire
system or filter the results by group with a drop down menu.

cheers,
tom

On Feb 18, 5:21 pm, Benjamin Bradley <bgc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> It sounds like a fun feature to implement. I'd say go ahead and create the
> branch and I'll start toying around with it. I'm a little rusty on the git
> branching commands, so any advice you can give there is appreciated.
>
> Benjamin
>
> On Wed, Feb 18, 2009 at 4:36 PM, HeresTomWithTheWeather <

Benjamin Bradley

Mar 13, 2009, 11:04:06 AM3/13/09
to opensourc...@googlegroups.com
Hey Tom,
I'm having some trouble pushing the new branch out, probably related to permissions.

You said you "added" me to the project - does that include committing privs?
I tried adding my github username to my git repository spec like so:

[remote "origin"]
    url = git://benjami...@github.com/austintimeexchange/oscurrency.git
    fetch = +refs/heads/*:refs/remotes/origin/*

but that doesn't seem correct. What am I missing?

Thanks,
BB

HeresTomWithTheWeather

Mar 13, 2009, 2:35:20 PM3/13/09
to opensourcecurrency
when you view the project page, it displays a "public clone url" and a
"your clone url" - you need to use "your clone url" - your
remote.origin.url should be g...@github.com:austintimeexchange/
oscurrency.git

perhaps when you cloned the project you may have used the public clone
url?

cheers,
tom