Corrupted Song File?

Alistair Baty

Oct 28, 2021, 12:24:54 AM10/28/21
to OpenSongApp
My daughter had been practicing at home, created the song list etc. We got to band practice and did a couple of songs. Then she selected a song "Echo Holy", but OpenSong shows the lyrics of "Great Things". Try again, same thing. Raise the app. Same thing.

Ok maybe the App is causing some issue. Close OpenSong. Use a file browser to find the song fine. The contents really has changed to "Great Things" ??? (Not that the real song "Great Things" is still there.)

Back, to the App. I been get the correct song (obviously she does not have her own notes on the song). We can play the song. Suddenly, the next song is also replaced with the text of"Great Things"??? Refresh the database and index, no resolution.

We are both running the latest 5.40 version

(FYI: I started my app on my tablet and got a "this song does not exist in your database" error. Twice, then it was fine. No expansion, and it may not be related to the above)

Any ideas?

Gareth Evans

Oct 28, 2021, 2:35:25 AM10/28/21
to Alistair Baty, OpenSongApp
Hi Alistair,

That is a new one.  I've seen songs replaced with the 'welcome' song if you see the welcome song instead of the actual song, or a warning that this song didn't exist, then you click on edit then save, but I've not seen it replace songs with other songs in this way.  The database (for OpenSong formatted songs) gets recreated on starting the app, so any issues here wouldn't carry over from session to session or across devices (the non OpenSong database for pdf and image files does).
Can you email me a copy of her version of the Great things song just in case there's something in that causing the issue.  Is she able to create new songs correctly in her song folder?

Best wishes,
Gareth

--
When responding to a post on the forum using your email, please make sure to click on the 'Reply all' button so that your response is also sent to the forum for other people to see the full conversation.
---

Sarah Dab

Oct 31, 2021, 6:05:16 AM10/31/21
to OpenSongApp

Hello Alistair,

I had a quick look at your 3 files in a text editor - I sometimes edit by hand!  The three files (song list names) contain the  same song details (Great things)  with no sticky note info.  All contain music notation info and have corrupt music notation info after the song!

Once a device has these three files Opensongapp (osa) can only behave as you describe.

If you click the song title in osa it shows  information from the file, the file name (song list name) at the top and basic details of the song it contains below.  A file named Grace containing details of song Love will show in the song list as Grace and display the song Love.

You can click the song title in the menu bar, click edit and save the song.  Then, if the file name (song list name) needs changing, use song rename. Osa will save a good (not corrupt!) file.

So you have corrupt songs for deletion.  As to how you got them....From Opensong, File sync,  Osa connected device? Osa music notation bug?  Gareth would need more information.  Perhaps only if it keeps happening.

Best wishes
Sarah

Gareth Evans

Nov 1, 2021, 3:48:33 AM11/1/21
to OpenSongApp
Hi Alistair,

As Sarah has also spotted, there is a bit of corruption going on with all three songs - in the way I know we'd talked about before (extra stuff appearing at the end) .  The song "Great things" is the worst and I'm wondering if the error with this one has caused the app to get stuck moving past it.  Calling up edit in the app then saving it, has possibly caused the overwriting of the other songs with the bugged song.
Is this just happening on one device (i.e. your daughters)?  Obviously if you're syncing across devices, it'll be harder to know the answer to that one!  In the eventually coming V6 of the app, I'll have a fix to look out for corrupted songs like this and fix them.   Do you use abc notation in any of your songs?  The reason I'm asking is that the rogue code seems to appear around that part of the xml code.

Gareth

Gareth Evans

Nov 1, 2021, 2:15:41 PM11/1/21
to OpenSongApp
I think I might have found why songs get corrupted, but I'm struggling to replicate the issue.
Alistair, am I right in assuming that the original song "Great Things" was created on the desktop version of OpenSong and either had some custom styles or background images?  If so, can you send me that original file?  I found a bug in my coding that treats all of this as 'extra stuff' that gets removed as plain text when editing the song, then gets reinserted when saving (as the app doesn't use it).  However, I definitely had a coding error that could have grabbed extra text from a song and placed this back into the xml file.  I've put a fix in place to try and stop this again, but if I can find a copy of the type of song that might cause a glitch, it'd be good to test that before and after the fix.

Gareth