Transpose causes Force Close. Latest ALPHA release.

John McAllan

Feb 14, 2023, 2:15:00 AM2/14/23
to OpenSongApp
Hi Gareth,

Thank you for all your great work. Here's my problem.

Whenever I use the Transpose function, the app Force Closes. I have attached a screen recording of what is happening. I have also attached a screenshot showing the specs , chipset etc of my tablet

We appreciate all that you are doing for churches all around the world.

Blessings,

Ps John McAllan
Queensland Australia
Lenovo P11 tablet specs.jpg
Transpose Force Close screen recording

Gareth Evans

Feb 14, 2023, 5:53:55 AM2/14/23
to John McAllan, OpenSongApp
Hi John,

The alpha releases have been superseded.  Can you test the beta 4 release please.  If you are on the beta channel on Google Play, you'll get the update automatically, but if you have installed the alpha release manually (from my website), you'll have to uninstall that first.  The latest beta release is also available as a downloadable apk file from my website too (https://www.opensongapp.com/downloads)

I can't see any crash report on the Google Play console, so I'm assuming you manually installed the app using the apk file?  I searched for your device (thanks for sending that info as it does normally help me identify crashes) but couldn't find it on my logs on the Google Play Store.
The option to send crash feedback (a comment from you) unfortunately doesn't come back to me as Google removed that feature unfortunately.  Any crash, however, for apps installed via Google Play should be reported as I get an automatic note of the lines of code that cause the crash.

I certainly haven't been able to replicate your crash on my devices.  If you still experience this on the latest beta, can you send me a copy of the song file (if it only happens on one song), and let me know if the other page buttons cause issues.

Best wishes,
Gareth

--
When responding to a post on the forum using your email, please make sure to click on the 'Reply all' button so that your response is also sent to the forum for other people to see the full conversation.
---

John McAllan

Feb 15, 2023, 3:15:44 AM2/15/23
to OpenSongApp
Hi Gareth,

I uninstalled the app and installed the latest Beta4 release from the Play Store.
Unfortunately, the app is still doing the same thing. I have attached a couple of song files for you to look at as you suggested.
I tried to transpose a number of songs from both the shortcut menu and via the longer method going in through SONG ACTIONS/CHORDS/TRANSPOSE. Both Force Closed each time.
I didn't have this trouble with the same files in any of the Version 5 releases.
Also, by way of good news, Connection Sharing often gave me problems in previous V5 iterations. It works flawlessly for me and the team now across V6 and V5 versions. It is great. We also use the app at our home groups. All the folks have the V5 app on their phones and use them as clients so they can have the words of the songs sung at the home meetings in front of them. Some have switched to Android devices, away from Apple, just so they can utilise the app. The app is SO useful.

Blessings and thank you Gareth,
There Is None Like You
There Is A Redeemer
Dwelling Places

Gareth Evans

Feb 15, 2023, 11:17:14 AM2/15/23
to John McAllan, OpenSongApp
Hi John,

Thanks for the update and sending those songs.  I can confirm there is nothing wrong with the songs!  I still can't get the crash to happen though.  I've uninstalled and reinstalled and used your songs, but it seems to work fine for me!
Does the tuner button or chord fingerings options work without issues for you?  The reason I ask is that they open up a 'bottom sheet dialog' just like the transpose button and I want to try to eliminate that as the issue first.  If these also cause a crash, the issue is the dialogue creation, but if not, I'll need to look in more detail at the transpose window code.
The tuner button is one of the default page buttons or can be found from the Utilities menu (it requires audio recording permissions), the chord fingering can be found under Song actions>Chords>Chords (fingering)

John McAllan

Feb 15, 2023, 4:18:43 PM2/15/23
to Gareth Evans, OpenSongApp
Hi Gareth,

Thanks for the reply.

I tried both the Tuner and the Chord Fingering functions. They both work great.

Just FYI, I purchased my current Lenovo P11 Pro Tablet two weeks ago to replace my previous Lenovo M10 FHD in order to eliminate the chance that the chipset might have been causing the problem with the Transpose function. The M10 FHD had a 'MiTek' chipset and there were some apps in general which would not install/run on it. (My favourite golf app- ARCCOS, for example). These apps install and run just fine now on the P11 Pro (SnapDragon).

Thanks for trying to fix this for me mate. I wonder if there are any others out there with a Lenovo Tablet..?

Sincerely,

John McAllan

Gareth Evans

Feb 15, 2023, 5:33:46 PM2/15/23
to OpenSongApp
Hi John,

How brave/computer literate are you?  If you are willing you can set up adb (Android debug bridge) on your computer, connect your phone and reproduce the crash and the adb console will collect the crash data to help identify the issue which you can then copy and paste and send me.  There are instructions on how to do this at:

If not, I'll put some step by step crash checks into a test version of the app for you.  Let me know.

John McAllan

Feb 15, 2023, 9:31:46 PM2/15/23
to Gareth Evans, OpenSongApp
Hi Gareth,

I ran the software as you requested. I had to split the log file into two parts as the original text file was too large to upload to the forum. I split the file at line 50000 in Edit++.

I will attach 'Logcat1.txt' here, and reply again to your email with 'Logcat2.txt'.

Blessings,

John McAllan

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "OpenSongApp" group.
To view this discussion on the web, visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/opensongapp/8605e017-86ec-42a7-92a5-639c1ddad057n%40googlegroups.com.
logcat1.txt

John McAllan

Feb 15, 2023, 9:33:34 PM2/15/23
to Gareth Evans, OpenSongApp
Hi Gareth,

Here is 'Logcat2.txt'.

Blessings,

John McAllan

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "OpenSongApp" group.
To view this discussion on the web, visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/opensongapp/8605e017-86ec-42a7-92a5-639c1ddad057n%40googlegroups.com.
logcat2.txt

Gareth Evans

Feb 16, 2023, 5:28:53 AM2/16/23
to John McAllan, OpenSongApp
Hi John,

That's brilliant.  I've spotted a few lines of code that point to the issue.  The main one in the TransposeBottomSheet file which logs as having occurred several times and the other in the profile fragment, which must've caused a crash for you on 5th Feb).  For info, the start of the line is the date and time (MM-DD HH:MM:SS) so you only need to copy the lines from the day you replicate the crash - sorry I should've said!!!  For some strange reason, these crashes still don't show on my developer console on the Google Play Store.

Transpose issue
02-16 12:03:02.190 29039 29039 E AndroidRuntime: FATAL EXCEPTION: main
02-16 12:03:02.190 29039 29039 E AndroidRuntime: Process: com.garethevans.church.opensongtablet, PID: 29039
02-16 12:02:52.959 28884 28884 E AndroidRuntime: java.lang.ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException: length=10; index=-1
02-16 12:02:52.959 28884 28884 E AndroidRuntime: at java.util.ArrayList.get(ArrayList.java:439)
02-16 12:02:52.959 28884 28884 E AndroidRuntime: at com.garethevans.church.opensongtablet.chords.TransposeBottomSheet.e3(SourceFile:414)

Profile issue
02-05 07:47:45.790  5686  5686 E AndroidRuntime: Process: com.garethevans.church.opensongtablet, PID: 5686
02-05 07:47:45.790  5686  5686 E AndroidRuntime: java.lang.NullPointerException: Attempt to invoke virtual method 'void p3.g3.c(java.lang.String)' on a null object reference
02-05 07:47:45.790  5686  5686 E AndroidRuntime: at com.garethevans.church.opensongtablet.preferences.ProfileFragment.l2(SourceFile:74)

The downside is that the app version had obfuscated code (meaning the actual lines causing the issue are muddled: e3 (sourceFile:414) to shrink the file size, but they did let me know that the app was trying to select a null value (-1) from a list of 10 objects (presumably your current set has 10 items?).  I've put in further null checks and made a debug version of the app to test if you are willing.  This debug version isn't obfuscated, so any crashes logged in the same way you did before will be more detailed and tell me the exact line(s) of code.
I've placed the debug version (John-debug.apk) on my website downloads folder:

Thanks for taking the time to help debug this and I'm delighted that you and your church group get so much use out of the app - this is why I do this!

Best wishes,
Gareth