So what types of applications do you want to build?

BerlinBrown

Nov 2, 2007, 1:09:26 PM11/2/07
to OpenSocial Developers
I am only a Fackbook, Linked In user. What types of applications do
you see being used with opensocial.

I have an application that is basically a news aggregator, I thought
about a opensocial application attached to the news feeds? Dont know
if this is useful or not.

Geoff

Nov 2, 2007, 10:34:24 PM11/2/07
to OpenSocial Developers
I know the API is geared for social-type activities but I'm wondering
why the applications developed for social networks need to be limited
to this. If I'm a home-based business with pot-holders to sell and
not a lot of knowledge about domain names, hosting plans, etc, but my
son/daughter/friend is MySpace savvy - wouldn't it be cool to have an
application that can my son/daughter/friend can easily install on a
MySpace page to sell my pot-holders and promote my business?

It seems a lot of companies are establishing a presence on social
networks and I'm pretty sure it's not to exchange virtual jello-shots
with their "friends". There must be some killer-app businesses on
MySpace, etc absolutely need which is now a possibility with Google's
API - or am I missing something?

William Tan

Nov 2, 2007, 10:40:15 PM11/2/07
to OpenSocial Developers
Geoff,

That's a valid use case. If all you want is for your son to promote
your business on his MySpace profile, that's actually quite easily
done on Facebook or OpenSocial. It could just be a static HTML widget
that has some pictures and links to your business' web site. However,
the challenges are:

1. How to make it engaging.
2. How to make it addictive.
3. How to make it viral.

The three above are related, but different facets of a social widget/
gadget/app.

=wil