Writing an Android Application that connects to multiple social networking sites...

Samuh

Jan 28, 2010, 4:50:22 AM1/28/10
to OpenSocial - OpenSocial Application Development
I am thinking of developing a simple Android application that can
connect to different social networking sites such as MySpace,
FaceBook, LinkedIn etc. The application should be able to fetch a
users friend list and send out messages to friends.

I know that each of these networking sites exposes/extend their
functionality either by the means of a REST based web service or by
directly providing APIs(client libraries). But I dont want to use all
of them in my code: there is just too much disparity. I need a single
unified interface for achieving the aforementioned, which has led me
to OpenSocial.

My Questions:
1. Is such an application possible?
2. Where do I start? Links to beginners tutorials will be great.
3. What languages do I need to know?
4. What infrastructure is required? Do I need to setup an intermediate
Web Server etc. or just the phone would suffice?

Please help.

Thanks!

Niels van Dijk

Jan 30, 2010, 5:05:55 AM1/30/10
to opensoc...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Should be doable. You'll need something like this:
http://code.google.com/p/opensocial-java-client/wiki/UsingTheAndroidLibrary
which will provide you with a library for doing the opensocial stuff.
Java would be the way to go. Also you need the android sdk, see here
http://developer.android.com/index.html

regards,
Niels

Samuh

Feb 3, 2010, 12:26:51 AM2/3/10
to OpenSocial Application Development
I will take a look; thanks Niels!

Also, does OpenSocial support/integrate with LinkedIn and Twitter?