Generic OS wrappers?

JevS

Nov 28, 2007, 11:28:37 PM11/28/07
to OpenSocial - OpenSocial API Definition
Please see http://www.dealoffun.com/opensocial/js/osClassBasic.js ,
for version 1.0 of Open Social JavaScript Basic wrapper, based on
Chris Chabot's library
(see http://www.chabotc.com/generic/second-step-into-the-open-social-world).",
modified and adapted by me for Orkut, Ning and hi5 containers. It
demonstrates also some noticed differences between these containers:
- Ning is not supporting links to profiles, isOwner function and most
of arguments, but introduces argument 'origin' and getPicture
function.
Also friends arrays are implemented differently and uses viewer.name
== "Anonymous" for non registered viewers.
- hi5 is not supporting isOwner and isViewer functions.
For demo, see my OS gadget http://www.dealoffun.com/opensocial/welcome10.xml
,which also uses jquery and jcarousel libraries. It tested working
with Firefox at Orkut and Hi5 and with IE and Firefox at Ning. My
suggestion is to create similar official library and to eliminate
differences between containers, so that developers can use it without
adapting their code to specific OS implementations.
Cheers.
Jevgenijs Sallinens

Chris

Nov 29, 2007, 5:59:13 PM11/29/07
to OpenSocial - OpenSocial API Definition
This sounds great, but I thought the whole point of OpenSocial was to
take care of these types of issues for us?

JevS

Nov 30, 2007, 1:32:59 AM11/30/07
On Nov 29, 3:59 pm, Chris wrote:
> This sounds great, but I thought the whole point of OpenSocial was to
> take care of these types of issues for us?
Yes and no,
First, reality is that containers are implemented differently and
during the process of their changes it will be easier to keep changing
one common js class
than for each developer to watch if his applications are not broken
during this process.
Second, also when (and if) containers will provide stable and similar
functionality, I think it could be useful to use prototype.lite.js
library. Only problem that it is adding some overhead and is taking
additional resources and therefore could be integrated with other OS
libraries for efficiency.
PS. isQwner function is available for hi5 today, but not working
correctly.
Cheers.

JevS

Dec 1, 2007, 4:58:51 PM12/1/07
to OpenSocial - OpenSocial API Definition
Those interested in updates for Open Social JavaScript Basic wrapper
can follow Generic OS libraries discussion at
webwidgets.ning.com forum. (see http://webwidgets.ning.com/forum/topic/show?id=1472141%3ATopic%3A621).